Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will do, shes asked friends of mine to stay before for christmas, i cant see how this is any different

Thanks for your help + Rep.

Haha My Bf is so cute, he just messaged me to tell me he loved me before he went to work. =]

Im happy now.

So how is everyone today?

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright - seeing my boy in less than a week now

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok too. Twooooo daaays!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend of 8 months is moving back to England quite suddenly. (we live in Spain) Due to his AS results, he has to repeat year 12.
    I have cried for like a whole day nonstop (no sleep ) and so has he.
    But now i think it's going to be ok. It wont be easy. But as soon as i finish year 13 i will go over and live near him with some friends, and take a gap year while he does year 13.
    I guess the next couple of months are going to be horrible. I'm gonna be a total wreck. I have only been at the school that we go to for 8 and a bit months, and that's how me and my bf met. So i am known as his girlfriend... It'll be weird without him.
    We'll be able to see eachother every couple of months or so.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me? How did you get through it? What do i do when i feel down?
    At the moment it feels a bit like the end of the world, and then in another way it just feels like we can get through this.
    Any advice at all please i would be so grateful.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Poor you.
    Come join us in the chat thread if you want..it's good for moaning, but we also just have a laugh and general chit chat. Very friendly :yep:

How to cope...general stuff, like sorting out the cheapest phone line, installing skype and making sure you both have microphones and webcams for your computers. When you're down, go out with friends! Try not to just mope around the house [says the hypocrit who is doing just that right now] because it will just make things go slowly. If you both want it to work, you'll make it work. Save up money for journeys..from Spain to England you can get some reasonably cheap flights, so whenever possible try to use that. Write letters (but don't tell him you've sent one) so it gives him a wonderful surprise when it turns up in the post..he'll know you're thinking about him, and when you're writing it it'll give you a chance to focus on him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    :hugs: Poor you.
    Come join us in the chat thread if you want..it's good for moaning, but we also just have a laugh and general chit chat. Very friendly :yep:

How to cope...general stuff, like sorting out the cheapest phone line, installing skype and making sure you both have microphones and webcams for your computers. When you're down, go out with friends! Try not to just mope around the house [says the hypocrit who is doing just that right now] because it will just make things go slowly. If you both want it to work, you'll make it work. Save up money for journeys..from Spain to England you can get some reasonably cheap flights, so whenever possible try to use that. Write letters (but don't tell him you've sent one) so it gives him a wonderful surprise when it turns up in the post..he'll know you're thinking about him, and when you're writing it it'll give you a chance to focus on him
    Urgh. thank you, i feel so much better just knowing someone's there. And i'll definitely come on the chat
    We have already thought about Skype and webcams and stuff, but i didn't think about the letter idea! Which i know he'd love :yep: So thankyou so much.
    How about you, how's your ldr? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy watermelon)
    Urgh. thank you, i feel so much better just knowing someone's there. And i'll definitely come on the chat
    We have already thought about Skype and webcams and stuff, but i didn't think about the letter idea! Which i know he'd love :yep: So thankyou so much.
    How about you, how's your ldr? x
    The chat is really good for that; having people to chat to who don't mind you moaning...I get the feeling my friends get a bit bored after a while haha.
    I'm glad you think the ideas are good ones. Little things can make the biggest difference I think.

My LDR is good atm, thanks 3 weeks until he comes home:woo: so I'm excited. Though we'll be going back to an LDR about 12 days after that but it's 2 hours train rather than a 9 hour flight! I haven't seen him in 7 weeks, which has been pretty rough going but hey It's all worth it.

ReputationRep:
    The chat is really good for that; having people to chat to who don't mind you moaning...I get the feeling my friends get a bit bored after a while haha.
    I'm glad you think the ideas are good ones. Little things can make the biggest difference I think.

My LDR is good atm, thanks 3 weeks until he comes home:woo: so I'm excited. Though we'll be going back to an LDR about 12 days after that but it's 2 hours train rather than a 9 hour flight! I haven't seen him in 7 weeks, which has been pretty rough going but hey It's all worth it.
    Haha 2 hours train isn't too bad! I'll be about 3 hours plane... but not too bad at all. I'll get to see him. And his mum has already offered to pay for me to go over for christmas

It is all worth it
    My bf keeps saying "i'm not worth crying over" and it makes me so sad cos he really really is. He sort of wanted us to split up, cos he didn't want to put me through it. He always said he would never do longdistance. Looks like he's changed his mind now it actually comes down to it though. Which is a good thing, cos without him i don't know what i'd do

ReputationRep:
    Haha 2 hours train isn't too bad! I'll be about 3 hours plane... but not too bad at all. I'll get to see him. And his mum has already offered to pay for me to go over for christmas

It is all worth it
    My bf keeps saying "i'm not worth crying over" and it makes me so sad cos he really really is. He sort of wanted us to split up, cos he didn't want to put me through it. He always said he would never do longdistance. Looks like he's changed his mind now it actually comes down to it though. Which is a good thing, cos without him i don't know what i'd do
    It's often the way. I always said I'd never do long distance but he became pretty integral to my life in a short amount of time so..:p:

Any simple advice for someone new to this whole LDR thing please? basically me and my girlfriend are heading to unis which are about 100 miles apart, thing is, we've only jus recently got back together, and i know with everything we've been through we should be strong enough to cope with ldr, but is there any advice you can give, jus to make it easier to get used to etc (hard enough not being able to see each other when we're currently only been 15 minutes walk apart lol)

ReputationRep:
    It's often the way. I always said I'd never do long distance but he became pretty integral to my life in a short amount of time so..:p:
    Hehe yeah. He just means the world to me. And it's only been 8 months, but urghhh i love him. It's just all so soon. It's so horrible I hate this random tearfulness!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello peoples. Kind of new to the LDR thing. Most I'd had before was a boyfriend who lived in Birchwood and I'd see a few times a week when at uni and then didn't really see during the holidays.

Now I have a boyfriend who was living in Salford for uni in Manc who's moved back home to Mansfield because he can't find a grad job here, meaning he won't be easy to see while I'm in Manc for uni or home in the hols in Leeds. I used to see him quite a lot and now neither of us know when he'll be coming back. He said once he's passed his driving test and got a car he'll come up sometimes til he gets a job here but driving lessons take ages . He wants his own place when he gets up here so that'll be hard to find for a reasonable price too. It's not as far as everyone's here but it's still hard without him. We've talked on the phone since he left on Wednesday and I've texted him. Trying to keep in contact but it's hard cos he's tired all the time and depressed about being home. At least that'll give him an incentive to get back though.

It's crap as well cos my housemate has his girlfriend over pretty regularly and it makes me feel lonely.

Hmm, kind of rambling.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe yeah. He just means the world to me. And it's only been 8 months, but urghhh i love him. It's just all so soon. It's so horrible I hate this random tearfulness!!
    Oohh yeah I know how you feel there! I keep thinking of things I want to do with him, or tell him, then I remember that I have to wait to do it, and I start welling up!
    And yup, I've only known my boyf since Feb, and its amazing how much of a part of my life he is now, I actually couldn't imagine not having him to tell stuff to anymore. Not sure if its cute or sad!!

ReputationRep:
    Right. My boyfriend is a year older than me and he is leaving for uni in October. We agreed to have a long distance relationship and keep in touch via skype, MSN etc. But after being away from each other for about a month while he was on holiday I really dont think I can handle a long distance relationship.

How do I tell this to him nicely? :o: And when do I tell him? I dont want to tell him now and ruin both of our summers but breaking up right before he leaves doesnt feel right and I am not sure how he is going to react

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what about it you feel you can't handle?
    I'd talk to him about it..certainly don't just break up out of the blue..
    Why don't you just give it a go...if you're not happy and it isn't working out then fair enough you can split, and that solves the problem of when to do it. But if you're absolutely certain, I'd tell him asap.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him the truth ffs

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what about it you feel you can't handle?
    I'd talk to him about it..certainly don't just break up out of the blue..
    Why don't you just give it a go...if you're not happy and it isn't working out then fair enough you can split, and that solves the problem of when to do it. But if you're absolutely certain, I'd tell him asap.
    Its the distance and the fact that I cant reach him whenever I want to. I am not really clingy but I liked having someone to talk over to about my day and listening to him talking about his.When he was away I was going nuts whenever he isnt online when he said he would be although he had a good reason. And when we had an argument it effected me really badly. Breaking up would hard but I'll get over it in time. I really dont want to go through that again. Especially during my A2 year :no: Does this sound selfish to you? :o:

So you reckon I should tell him straight away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane Eyre)
    Its the distance and the fact that I cant reach him whenever I want to.
    you both have mobile phones don't you??

ReputationRep:
    Don't let people bully you into having a LDR. Some people aren't suited to one and if you feel it wouldn't work, then don't put yourself through it.
    I'm in one at the moment, it is hard but you get used to it.
    You're the only one who can know if you can do it or not. Just tell him, he might feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's selfish. Like the poster up there said, you shouldn't feel like you have to go into an LDR and some people just don't suit them. No-one who's been in one would deny the fact that they're emotionally exhausting at times and a lot of effort and hard work; A2 year is ful of work and also a year in which you'll probably change a lot as a person, go out a lot and all of that..I can fully understand not wanting to have an LDR at the same time.

Speak to your boyfriend, explain how you feel and then follow your gut feeling.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.