Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    I miss my other half way too much today.

How I hate being in a LDR. On the other hand, we're getting back together in September =D

For those of you as frustrated as me, hang in there, all shall be well =) Just don't give up! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I just broke up with my boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    You're welcome, we all help each other on here :cool:

I'd be interested to hear how it goes when you meet him if you don't mind/remember :penguinhug:
    Oooooh time for news

So.....he flew in....and we spent the most blissfull 10 days of my entire existence. We got on just as well and even better than online, it was truly like we'd know each-other for ages and ages.

Now comes the hard bit because he's back home and we have to go on with our lives until I get to fly to the UK some time in 2months... so the true trials of LDR are now before us. For the moment it's obviously the physical absence that hurts most, but with daily msn chats and the like, time should fly past!!

So that is where I am at now! Very very happy and looking forward to seeing where/how things go from here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCH)
    Oooooh time for news

So.....he flew in....and we spent the most blissfull 10 days of my entire existence. We got on just as well and even better than online, it was truly like we'd know each-other for ages and ages.

Now comes the hard bit because he's back home and we have to go on with our lives until I get to fly to the UK some time in 2months... so the true trials of LDR are now before us. For the moment it's obviously the physical absence that hurts most, but with daily msn chats and the like, time should fly past!!

So that is where I am at now! Very very happy and looking forward to seeing where/how things go from here
    I'm really, really happy for you! I hope you can keep the relationship going!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LilyCH)
    Oooooh time for news

Excellent!!

I'm glad things went well and hopefully this 2 months won't feel like too long for you :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Me and my boyfriend start uni in September, weve been together for 2 yeaars now and things are wonderful between us and if we can get through uni we both want to get married to each other.

Heres the thing though, we are going to different universities, and if thats not enough we are both studying timeintensive medicine.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep things good and make things easier?? Or just general advice please??

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trinny_911)
    Me and my boyfriend start uni in September, weve been together for 2 yeaars now and things are wonderful between us and if we can get through uni we both want to get married to each other.
    If you're serious about this, then I think you'll both last.

I think the best point to make is to find an appropriate balance in contact. A frequency at which you're not going too long without the other to the point where you're forgetting about your partner, but that when you do speak, you actually have relevant and meaningful conversations. LDR's often head south when conversation dries up and the two find nothing to talk about any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Take it from me, I'm in London and my girlfriend is in the states :/

Just got back last Friday after having spent 3 weeks with her.
    Did you have a good time?? && where in the US??

I know, im just worried, and once I start to worry I find it very difficult to stop. I dont know, im mainly scared he'll forget about me or find someone better nearer to where he is, but I guess thats always the fear...

Sorry, I know im paranoid but...yh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloelol)
    I need help! (or words of encouragement)...

I have been with my boyfriend for 5 months and I knew he was going to go to uni when we first met, and in all honesty I didn't think we would make it this far, buuuut we did! and know fastly approaching is his leave to uni...

How do you guys cope with LDR's? I am based in London and the bf is on his way to Plymouth in September and I'm struggling to find how we will work, For one I will be working and getting time off is limited, and he will obviously be very busy in his course (he's going to med school)

Any advice/words of encouragement would be grateful as I do want our relationship to work! If you couldn't tell I'm panicking a lot...
    I think you have to get into the mindset that you can still stay as a couple even though you are in different parts of the country - don't discard the relationship on the basis of distance, unless you feel it is shaky to begin with. This could be hard if you're used to spending loads of time together, less hard if you're used to only seeing each other once a week or so.
    However, London to Plymouth really isn't such a terrible distance; it's about 3 hours by train and a weekend return would be under £50 with a Railcard (if you're not driving). Are you working weekends as well as in the week? If not, you can easily pop down for a weekend to visit your bf if you plan it well to make sure you have no other commitments that weekend. Conversely, if you plan your trips well in advance, he knows he should work extra hard that week to make sure he has the weekend free (or almost free) to be with you. The cost would obviously work out better if you took it in turns to visit. Even if you can only see each other once a month, don't forget that uni terms are not so very long and you can spend loads of time together in the holidays to make up for not seeing each other much in termtime .

ReputationRep:
    Im normally an emotionally strong guy, but lately I feel the need just need to cry. i miss her......
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    It'll get better, just stay strong and try to keep the communication alive, its always going to be hard

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my (first) boyfriend for almost 2 years, and from the beginning it has been an LDR. For the first year of the relationship everything was great and we would see eachother 2 weekends every month. Then last summer he dumped me (for reasons that I still don't fully understand), but 3 days later he apologised and said he didnt know what he was doing etc etc and we got back together.

Since then I have always been kind of hoping that everything will go back to the way it was in the first year of our relationship but it is slowly getting worse. We now see eachother on average one weekend every month, which I understand is mostly because of his job, which is fair. However there have started to be many instances where I think he doesn't care about making the effort anymore.

For example when it was my birthday we didn't see eachother because it was his friends' engagement party, which I was fine with but then after this we still hadn't seen eachother and it was about 2 weeks later and i though he might have mentioned us seeing eachother but he didn't and when I mentioned it he said it was his female friends birthday night out (they are not close because in the 2 years that I have known him I have never heard of her). I was going on holiday the week after so he knew that he wasn't going to see me for another 2 weeks. We finally seen eachother when I got back. In total we hadn't seen eachother in 7 weeks. I just couldn't understand how another girls birthday he would give up seeing me for but my birthday wasnt, plus the fact that we hadnt seen eachother in 5 weeks and he knew he wasnt going to see me for another 2???!! Bare in my mind that all these people, including the girl, live about 5 minutes away from so he can see any day of the week.

There have also been other instances similar to the one I mentioned where I feel like he can't be bothered. I have tried to talk to him about it and he said he does care about me etc and I try and get answers out of him but it's so hard too!!! He just says things like I don't know.

I already feel like finishing him because of this. It doesn't feel like we have much of a relationshiop. Even when we see eachother he doesn't show much affection. For example I went to his a couple of weeks ago (we hadnt seen eachotehr in about 3 or 4 weeks), and as soon as I got in we just went to his room and he switched the T.V on and we were watching it for about 2 hours (alls i got was a peck on the cheek). After 2 hours of watching it I complained and he turned it off but he just thought I was being irrational. I just thought that maybe after not seeing eachother for 3 or 4 weeks he might want to talk to me and touch me up/ have sex and stuff!!! He did have sex with me after I complained but then I feel like we're only doing it cos I'm complaining not because he wants to!!! Again there are many other instances similar to this.

Anyway it's so annoying because I still love him and I'm not going to finish him yet because I know that if I do it now I will be a mess and will try and ring him to get back with him etc I am going to give it a few more months until I'm 100% that I don't want to be with him. Plus if I do it now I am at home with not much going on, it will be harder so I will be back at uni in October with my flatmates, uni work and a job to keep him off my mind.

It's just so hard knowing that it will most probably end soon and I still love him. Hopefully in the next few months it will improve I really don't want to have to do this.

Has anyone had anything similar to to this? And maybe can give some advice? I don't know if I'm being irrational.

Sorry for the rant!! I dont know how to get my point with short explanations.

Me and this guy are sort of in a ldr we speak all the time. I know we both like each other. It's just none of us are bringing it up. We don't live close enough to each other. I think we're waiting to see what happens or waiting for the other to make the first move.

ReputationRep:
    I no longer need this thread :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFonz)
    and, guys, does one ever get used to being apart..? I seem to cope with it a lot worse than my boyfriend does...so I'd like to ask to the "stronger couples", those on here that have been together for more than one year...

did you get used to the distance? and how long did it take you? ...and also, how often do you see your partner?

thanks to all those who will answer...I'd appreciate it a lot...

Yeah you get used to it. Have you always been an LDR or have you just recently moved away? Because I expect it's harder if you are used to seeing them regularly. We see eachother about once month now it used to be 2 weekends every month though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFonz)
    and, guys, does one ever get used to being apart..? I seem to cope with it a lot worse than my boyfriend does...so I'd like to ask to the "stronger couples", those on here that have been together for more than one year...

did you get used to the distance? and how long did it take you? ...and also, how often do you see your partner?

thanks to all those who will answer...I'd appreciate it a lot...
    You do get more used to it, but it never gets completely easy. My boyfriend and I are in an international LDR and I literally have not seen him in almost a year For me it went something like this:

I missed him like crazy after I left. I slowly started adjusting and getting used to it. Then after a few months of that, it started getting worse and I miss him more and more each day.

Although I'm guessing you don't have it quite as bad as that! But once you get into a constant pattern and you're a few weeks in, you will start to adjust to the situation and it will become the "norm" for a while. You'll still miss him now and then, probably especially when you see a cute couple putting on some PDA or you're going somewhere fun and wish he could come with you, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just moved to Southampton to do a placement here for a year. Carmen's in Seville at University.
    This year will be different: I'LL HAVE MONEY But not much time
    This isn't helped by the fact that I'm going to try to rejoin the Territorial Army! But Carmen understand's COMPLETELY.
    We're at the stage where we no longer die in each other's absence (well, for a month, at least).

Things are good

Question to all girls out there, and I suppose a guys' perspective on this would be good too. Would you say taking oral contraceptives are worth it for LDRs, or that condoms are the best solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Question to all girls out there, and I suppose a guys' perspective on this would be good too. Would you say taking oral contraceptives are worth it for LDRs, or that condoms are the best solution?
    I have the implant, its easy and I can just forget about it for 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think I could ever rely on condoms. I have been on the pill for years, but switched to the non-hormonal copper coil in January which is working out pretty well for me. And it lasts for 5 years.

What makes you think it might not be worth it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.