The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7220
I'm in a long distance relationship - the love of my life is in the future.
BF has been really off with me the last few days... Hasn't replied to any of my texts, won't pick up his phone, when he does turn up on MSN he won't turn the camera on because he's not 'feeling well'. He was meant to go to a doctors appointment yesterday as he's had a hernia for about 3 years and refuses to do anything about it :sigh: but he didn't bother even though he was up and dressed. I know his moods aren't greatly stable but they're never normally this bad?

I sent him a text or two this afternoon, we had plans for early next week but now I can't do it so I sent him another asking him to ring me so I can tell him in person, he rang me as I was in a shop paying so I said I'd ring him back ten minutes later and when I did he wouldn't pick up again - then he sent me a text an hour later saying he was shopping with his mum and he'll let me know when he's free. That was at 4pm :erm:

I feel really pathetic for getting upset about this but I'm so stressed at the moment with work and cheer and job applications and I have a cold and all I want to do is chat idle chit chat to him but he won't even reply to my messages :sad:
Original post by kiss_me_now9
BF has been really off with me the last few days... Hasn't replied to any of my texts, won't pick up his phone, when he does turn up on MSN he won't turn the camera on because he's not 'feeling well'. He was meant to go to a doctors appointment yesterday as he's had a hernia for about 3 years and refuses to do anything about it :sigh: but he didn't bother even though he was up and dressed. I know his moods aren't greatly stable but they're never normally this bad?

I sent him a text or two this afternoon, we had plans for early next week but now I can't do it so I sent him another asking him to ring me so I can tell him in person, he rang me as I was in a shop paying so I said I'd ring him back ten minutes later and when I did he wouldn't pick up again - then he sent me a text an hour later saying he was shopping with his mum and he'll let me know when he's free. That was at 4pm :erm:

I feel really pathetic for getting upset about this but I'm so stressed at the moment with work and cheer and job applications and I have a cold and all I want to do is chat idle chit chat to him but he won't even reply to my messages :sad:

My other half used to do that ALL THE TIME. It was so frustrating; he would never text back but when I didn't text back, he sent me loads of messages asking me if I was okay. I used to ring him and he used to try and get me off the phone within the first minute. I used to ring him once I got off the bus, it's like a minute walk or two from my house; he never picked up, he'd text me like an hour or two later with some stupid excuse.

I don't know what advice to get because we never really got over that. We're not LD anymore but you could try telling him how you feel, and ask him why he keeps doing it; he maybe doesn't know he's doing it? My other half didn't know. Hope everything works out :h:
Original post by Georges Duroy
Only a week more or the whole thing was a week? If it's the latter then he is being a very babyish! Reassure him that you'll be back home in a normal routine soon enough and therefore you'll soon be able to skype at the normal time. Talk to him/email him and let him know you miss him. You do want to be with him right? On the other hand, do go out and enjoy yourself still- don't stay because of him :smile:

The latter! I'm worried, because he's even admitted he's been acting funny this week. Recently he seems to be bored at work, and doesn't have enough to take his mind of it, despite that he's always really busy with work, volunteering, and his hobbies. I don't know what to do with him, I don't want him to be unhappy like this.
I get to see my (almost) fiance later today (hence why I'm still up, excitement) after a 6 hour bus journey. It's difficult, especially as we're so in love and all we want to do at the end of each day is curl up on the sofa, watch TV and cuddle into each other, but we can't half the time. Hate it, but moving to uni near him in september which will hopefully make it a whole lot better :biggrin:
Reply 7225
Original post by kiss_me_now9

First of all, it's not a pathetic thing to get upset about at all; rather, it's a pretty pathetic thing to do. You're both adults. :s-smilie: But I guess if you say his moods aren't great, then he might not even realise he's doing it. I don't really know what to suggest, because I always feel really bad bringing up issues that can't be changed or are as a result of the boy's reoccurring depression, but at the same time no one deserves to be treated like that. :hugs:
Original post by MysteryPass
My other half used to do that ALL THE TIME. It was so frustrating; he would never text back but when I didn't text back, he sent me loads of messages asking me if I was okay. I used to ring him and he used to try and get me off the phone within the first minute. I used to ring him once I got off the bus, it's like a minute walk or two from my house; he never picked up, he'd text me like an hour or two later with some stupid excuse.

I don't know what advice to get because we never really got over that. We're not LD anymore but you could try telling him how you feel, and ask him why he keeps doing it; he maybe doesn't know he's doing it? My other half didn't know. Hope everything works out :h:

Original post by jeh_jeh
First of all, it's not a pathetic thing to get upset about at all; rather, it's a pretty pathetic thing to do. You're both adults. :s-smilie: But I guess if you say his moods aren't great, then he might not even realise he's doing it. I don't really know what to suggest, because I always feel really bad bringing up issues that can't be changed or are as a result of the boy's reoccurring depression, but at the same time no one deserves to be treated like that. :hugs:

He did eventually text me back, we spoke on msn for a few hours... I dunno, I think he's still in the mindset of school where he can do what he wants and his Mum bosses him around and he doesn't have to worry about anyone else. He's only about 6 months younger than me but I grew up pretty fast and he just seems to have the mentality of a 16 year old still :/ I've tried talking to him but he refuses to listen to me and tells me I'm pressuring him. I don't know what else to say tbh.
Need some help! My relationship is in real trouble, if you can still call it a relationship, because I dumped him. We have been international long distance for 5 months, but together for a year. My next visit home is in two weeks.

So what happened is, I found some messages between him and his ex, which were disrespectful and plain hurtful to me, in which he told her he missed her and couldn't stop thinking about her, and propositioned her for sex. Then it emerged that actually they had sex while we were together. The worst thing is that I asked him before not to be friends with his ex, because she has caused trouble before.

The reason I went into his messages is because he's been acting strangley lately, and I've found things I didn't like in his emails before (always from this ex) so that it's become a compulsion to log into his accounts. It feels like I was only waiting for this to happen, and I was right, because it did.

Now he claims that they only slept together before we were together, and he is sending me emails, texts, and voicemails apologising over and over again. Whether he cheated or not is a minor detail to me, because he still said all those things to her. He says he made a stupid mistake, and he thought she could cheer him up because he was missing me so much. Now he has deleted her from facebook and says he hates her for ruining his life twice, and says he wants nothing to do with her. He is desperately begging me not to leave him, but I feel like I can't trust anything he says. He is even emailing my best friend for help, which is out of order!

Initially, I dumped him straight away and thought I just want to move on and enjoy the rest of my year abroad without all the pain of an LDR. Then I spoke to his closest friend, who thinks he's telling the truth and that I should try to work it out. Right now I still haven't forgiven him, and I've told him I will see him in two weeks when I fly home for a visit.

I am actually fine, and I am keeping busy with friends. It's easy to ignore him because I'm still so angry with him.

Am I doing the right thing? I just don't know if I should move on and forget about him, or if we should try work this out. We've come such a long way... I'm torn.
Reply 7228
Original post by Anonymous
Need some help! My relationship is in real trouble, if you can still call it a relationship, because I dumped him. We have been international long distance for 5 months, but together for a year. My next visit home is in two weeks.

So what happened is, I found some messages between him and his ex, which were disrespectful and plain hurtful to me, in which he told her he missed her and couldn't stop thinking about her, and propositioned her for sex. Then it emerged that actually they had sex while we were together. The worst thing is that I asked him before not to be friends with his ex, because she has caused trouble before.

The reason I went into his messages is because he's been acting strangley lately, and I've found things I didn't like in his emails before (always from this ex) so that it's become a compulsion to log into his accounts. It feels like I was only waiting for this to happen, and I was right, because it did.

Now he claims that they only slept together before we were together, and he is sending me emails, texts, and voicemails apologising over and over again. Whether he cheated or not is a minor detail to me, because he still said all those things to her. He says he made a stupid mistake, and he thought she could cheer him up because he was missing me so much. Now he has deleted her from facebook and says he hates her for ruining his life twice, and says he wants nothing to do with her. He is desperately begging me not to leave him, but I feel like I can't trust anything he says. He is even emailing my best friend for help, which is out of order!

Initially, I dumped him straight away and thought I just want to move on and enjoy the rest of my year abroad without all the pain of an LDR. Then I spoke to his closest friend, who thinks he's telling the truth and that I should try to work it out. Right now I still haven't forgiven him, and I've told him I will see him in two weeks when I fly home for a visit.

I am actually fine, and I am keeping busy with friends. It's easy to ignore him because I'm still so angry with him.

Am I doing the right thing? I just don't know if I should move on and forget about him, or if we should try work this out. We've come such a long way... I'm torn.

Yes, you're doing the right thing. He shouldn't have done what he's done, now he's lost you, and will have to live with his mistake and regret it every day of his life for a long, long time.

It's obvious that his best friend is trying to defend him and speaking up for him...he's his best friend! Don't give in, keep busy and move on, you deserve much better that that....stay strong:hugs:
Original post by Ciccina
Yes, you're doing the right thing. He shouldn't have done what he's done, now he's lost you, and will have to live with his mistake and regret it every day of his life for a long, long time.

It's obvious that his best friend is trying to defend him and speaking up for him...he's his best friend! Don't give in, keep busy and move on, you deserve much better that that....stay strong:hugs:

He's making this so difficult for me. :frown:

I keep asking him to back off, to stop posting on my facebook page, and stop sending me desperate sentimental messages.

I shouldn't even be having thoughts about giving us another chance, I feel weak for even considering it. Ugh.
Hello folks, I suppose I'm new to this LDR thing, so I suppose I'm just looking for coping techniques really! I'm finding it harder than I thought I would recently...

Defining this as LDR - my situation is probably nowhere near as bad as what the rest of you are encountering as he only lives a couple of hours away. But currently its also our (and especially his) busy schedules that are preventing us from seeing eachother. He's just taken on a new and important role at work so he's working lots more hours than he was before...about the same time as luck would have it, my workload has been ramped up (and I mean at work, and at uni). We saw eachother for the first time in a while last week and it was amazing. He said he'd been so looking forward to seeing me and I felt the exact same way.

I think its really important that at this time in our lives we both have the freedom to grow individually, which is what we're doing when we're apart but lately the lack of ongoing contact is getting me down. I definitely thought I could handle this but I miss him so much at the moment. We've both agreed to make time for eachother (not like its a chore) but I also miss the physical intimacy of being with him.

I haven't voiced any of this to him as I'm hoping it will pass...we've made a couple of future plans to see eachother next month which are exciting. We've been together 5 months and this is the first time its really hit me - I'm having all sorts of thoughts like 'what if we end up just drifting apart...' like its a constant worry and I can't relax. So does anyone have advice on how I can cope better?
I get really insecure when my bf goes to see friends for a weekend and then doesn't talk or text as much as usual - not heard from him since a good morning text, this time.

I KNOW I'm being stupid and I am keeping busy with friends myself, but I feel like I'd have time to drop a text if I was him (but I don't always want to do it first..) So I feel like actually he just doesn't want to hear from me.

So why do I feel so unimportant when this happens? It's so not a big deal, I know...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kattt_452
Hello folks, I suppose I'm new to this LDR thing, so I suppose I'm just looking for coping techniques really! I'm finding it harder than I thought I would recently...

Defining this as LDR - my situation is probably nowhere near as bad as what the rest of you are encountering as he only lives a couple of hours away. But currently its also our (and especially his) busy schedules that are preventing us from seeing eachother. He's just taken on a new and important role at work so he's working lots more hours than he was before...about the same time as luck would have it, my workload has been ramped up (and I mean at work, and at uni). We saw eachother for the first time in a while last week and it was amazing. He said he'd been so looking forward to seeing me and I felt the exact same way.

I think its really important that at this time in our lives we both have the freedom to grow individually, which is what we're doing when we're apart but lately the lack of ongoing contact is getting me down. I definitely thought I could handle this but I miss him so much at the moment. We've both agreed to make time for eachother (not like its a chore) but I also miss the physical intimacy of being with him.

I haven't voiced any of this to him as I'm hoping it will pass...we've made a couple of future plans to see eachother next month which are exciting. We've been together 5 months and this is the first time its really hit me - I'm having all sorts of thoughts like 'what if we end up just drifting apart...' like its a constant worry and I can't relax. So does anyone have advice on how I can cope better?

I think everyone on here can sympathise with you on the lack of physical intimacy front. There's really nothing you can do but tough it out. Keep yourself busy; you say you want to grow individually so keep working on that, and do things that you might not be able to do if he was around- hang out with friends, work hard and so on.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing making time to see each other, it's obviously essential in an LDR. Try and ignore your doubts, everyone has them and they will get easier over time once you both get into a routine and get used to the LDR. I find the routine thing really works for me; I see my bf around once a month, but we text every day and skype most days, and seeing his face does make all the difference. If you end up drifting apart that's what happens, and in my experience an LDR is likely to make or break a relationship, in the sense that you find out what kind of a person they are when you don't have constant hormones all over the place. But personally it's brought us way closer together and we listen to each other a lot more and don't take each other for granted. It also made it a lot easier seeing where he lives and meeting his flatmates, gave me confidence knowing where he is.

Basically, ignore the thoughts and keep busy, focus on the positives :smile:
I feel kind of pathetic complaining here since our distance isn't too much (especially compared to some here!), but we just spent a really lovely week with together so now I'm all sad to be without him... :sad: I'm trying to be positive and to distract myself with other things but it's really hard, just missing him loads and wishing we could be back together again.
Not even asking anything really, just needed a rant :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
siiiiiigihh....how do i say this now? I feel like I'm putting out all this effort in my relationship, which is strange for me to be even trying this hard. I don't usually value my relationships because I always tote the "independent girl" image. I refuse to allow any one person to have that much control over me.

Anyway, the problem now is that my bf is for lack of a better word "unresponsive". I'm doing all the calling and texting. And when I send him amazing lyrics which i take the time to combine ever so sweetly he responds "oh, that's nice" "i like that" and I say, babe, i sent that especially for you, and that's all you can say? "what? its nice"........am i expecting too much here?

Even when we do talk online, idk...he's starting to bore me. I'm wondering if it's the distance or have we really just run the course of the relationship. Worse, we've broken up and gotten back together so many times I've lost track, but I keep thinking that the only reason i'm holding on is because i want to prove something. To my ex. Who I'm almost sure I'm over but keeps popping up back in my life and making me constantly question why we broke up in the first place. Even worse, my ex lives a reasonable distance from me and he's outrageously popular so all my friends know him, people i dont even know know about us, so he really won't leave my life cuz people CONSTANTLY ask me about him and want to have very intrusive convos about him......which really doesnt help my current situation.

Yes, I know, This is a mess. But can anyone please, I beg you, give me some unbiased advice, which I'm finding out my friends fail epicly at doing. Should I just break off this 3 year LDR??? I love him I really do but there are times now when i don't even think of him at all and when I do it's in an obligatory sense. Like "oh, i should text so and so, just so that he doesn't think i'm ignoring him" or "wait i haven't spoken to so-and-so. let me go online and leave him a message so he knows i tried". its not romantic anymore!!!!

So, some very good advice is desperately needed.
Original post by anxioustaf
siiiiiigihh....how do i say this now? I feel like I'm putting out all this effort in my relationship, which is strange for me to be even trying this hard. I don't usually value my relationships because I always tote the "independent girl" image. I refuse to allow any one person to have that much control over me.

Anyway, the problem now is that my bf is for lack of a better word "unresponsive". I'm doing all the calling and texting. And when I send him amazing lyrics which i take the time to combine ever so sweetly he responds "oh, that's nice" "i like that" and I say, babe, i sent that especially for you, and that's all you can say? "what? its nice"........am i expecting too much here?

Even when we do talk online, idk...he's starting to bore me. I'm wondering if it's the distance or have we really just run the course of the relationship. Worse, we've broken up and gotten back together so many times I've lost track, but I keep thinking that the only reason i'm holding on is because i want to prove something. To my ex. Who I'm almost sure I'm over but keeps popping up back in my life and making me constantly question why we broke up in the first place. Even worse, my ex lives a reasonable distance from me and he's outrageously popular so all my friends know him, people i dont even know know about us, so he really won't leave my life cuz people CONSTANTLY ask me about him and want to have very intrusive convos about him......which really doesnt help my current situation.

Yes, I know, This is a mess. But can anyone please, I beg you, give me some unbiased advice, which I'm finding out my friends fail epicly at doing. Should I just break off this 3 year LDR??? I love him I really do but there are times now when i don't even think of him at all and when I do it's in an obligatory sense. Like "oh, i should text so and so, just so that he doesn't think i'm ignoring him" or "wait i haven't spoken to so-and-so. let me go online and leave him a message so he knows i tried". its not romantic anymore!!!!

So, some very good advice is desperately needed.

omg. someone i can relate to. i sent my boyfriend a text for valentines day cause he knows i hate valentines day - bad experiences watching my mum with my dad so turned me off love - anyway, i sent him a text all like "Thanks for being an amazing boyfriend n my bestest friend you mean the world to me" all i got back was "Aww thanks baby i love you lots too". My boyfriends not soppy, hes cold hearted, and i get more emotion out of my cat then i ever would for him, its SO irritating half the time but yeah, id just advise to ignore it, ive been up with it for a year now as his efforts dived past our year, if he sends you something nice, be cold like him, my motto is to treat them as they treat you, if he doesn't like it tell him to get over it, me and my boyfriend have a thing about using the 'get over it' card. Also in a bit of a jiffy as were LDR and i dont see him for 3 months, then i do for a month, his uni course offered him a job in programming, and he said he agreed to work on his hols, which means id see him for 2 weeks. I was utterly heart broken as i felt like he didnt care about our time on seeing each other.. He was also cold emotionally on this speak to so i just logged off in a huff, Nothing goes my way or makes my life easy so i just let things run its course, everything seems to run into my fellas pockets so itd be nice if something ran into mine for once.

A bit of mine and your problem there ^ just hope it gave you the balls to treat him the way he treat's you!

Ok so I posted this earlier in the week, but I could do with some more advice. I don't really have anyone to talk to right now. :frown:

So it's three days since we broke up, I haven't spoken to him since the first day, and I don't know what to do with myself. I've been trying to take my mind off it by doing things with friends, but the fact is I just feel completely ****. It doesn't help that my best friend is going back to his home country and I saw him for the last time yesterday. The other best friend is off on a trip for the next two weeks, so I feel so completely alone. :frown:

I am going away for a few days by myself to visit a friend, so I am just hoping that I can forget about this an enjoy it. Then after that it's only a week until I fly home and can sort it out in person.

I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken before. I know the right thing to do is to move on, but right now it hurts so much to think about.

Can anyone offer me a few comforting words and some advice on how to get through this?
Reply 7237
Ok so I posted this earlier in the week, but I could do with some more advice. I don't really have anyone to talk to right now. :frown:

So it's three days since we broke up, I haven't spoken to him since the first day, and I don't know what to do with myself. I've been trying to take my mind off it by doing things with friends, but the fact is I just feel completely ****. It doesn't help that my best friend is going back to his home country and I saw him for the last time yesterday. The other best friend is off on a trip for the next two weeks, so I feel so completely alone. :frown:

I am going away for a few days by myself to visit a friend, so I am just hoping that I can forget about this an enjoy it. Then after that it's only a week until I fly home and can sort it out in person.

I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken before. I know the right thing to do is to move on, but right now it hurts so much to think about.

Can anyone offer me a few comforting words and some advice on how to get through this?

I am SO sorry :frown:! I have no advice but big hugs your way, bloody hell must be so hard for you atm =(..

as for me my boyfriend went back to holland yesterday and won't see him till july, i feel cut up inside, i just want to cry at random times. i'm trying to be positive but its so hard. especially as we lived together for 8 months here during his work exp. house feels so empty without him. =( and i feel like i can't focus 100% until a flight is booked?
I'd like a bit of advice please...basically I've recently started a relationship with a girl who is so wonderful and brilliant, but the fact is we are both going off to uni in september at very different places (could be a four hour train journey). I know we've only just started going out but this is a relationship I can see lasting for a good while yet, so I'd like to know is an LDR really possible when starting uni?
Original post by caseyhayes
I get really insecure when my bf goes to see friends for a weekend and then doesn't talk or text as much as usual - not heard from him since a good morning text, this time.

I KNOW I'm being stupid and I am keeping busy with friends myself, but I feel like I'd have time to drop a text if I was him (but I don't always want to do it first..) So I feel like actually he just doesn't want to hear from me.

So why do I feel so unimportant when this happens? It's so not a big deal, I know...

Ah well whenever I'm with friends I always find it hard to text, and besides I wouldn't want to start that kind of conversation when I know I'd be too busy to follow it through properly. I really wouldn't worry about it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending