Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm at home to see my parents over easter. I hate it here.
    We don't have anything in common, I'm really lonely.
    Only 2 weeks until spending a week with the other half. Please come quicker...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    I'm at home to see my parents over easter. I hate it here.
    We don't have anything in common, I'm really lonely.
    Only 2 weeks until spending a week with the other half. Please come quicker...
    :hugs:

sorry to hear that. Is there no one there you can talk to? Any friends you can hang out with in the meanwhile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciccina)
    :hugs:

sorry to hear that. Is there no one there you can talk to? Any friends you can hang out with in the meanwhile?
    Hello!
    Yeah I'm keeping myself as busy as possible but it's all just a bit "ergh" at home- not the best atmosphere which tends to put a downer on things and however busy I'm keeping..

I read your previous post- the bf sounds very different on the phone to me when other people are in the room, so I tell him not to bother unless he's going to separate himself for the chat! This works fine as he now knows.
    Texts sound ok just less frequent when with his friends, but as he's so busy at work at the moment he goes home, calls me, eats dinner and watches TV, calls me, sleeps! It's weekends that we're apart that are the problem but that's different for you cos you're not seeing each other very much at the moment if I remember right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    Hello!
    Yeah I'm keeping myself as busy as possible but it's all just a bit "ergh" at home- not the best atmosphere which tends to put a downer on things and however busy I'm keeping..

I read your previous post- the bf sounds very different on the phone to me when other people are in the room, so I tell him not to bother unless he's going to separate himself for the chat! This works fine as he now knows.
    Texts sound ok just less frequent when with his friends, but as he's so busy at work at the moment he goes home, calls me, eats dinner and watches TV, calls me, sleeps! It's weekends that we're apart that are the problem but that's different for you cos you're not seeing each other very much at the moment if I remember right?
    Heya
    trust me, I understand what you're going through...PM me ANY time, really!

Heh, guys :rolleyes: mine is the same...one night he wanted to skype, but I ended up asking him to talk the following day, as his three flatmates were in the room and he seemed afraid to even look at me :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry that he's so busy and tired -whereas you'd need him the most now.
    Yep, we can't see each other for the time being...we have to wait for the summer; moreover, I'm in quite the same situation as you (unfriendly/hostile environment), while he's at uni with his friends.

Do you have any hobby/looking for a new one? maybe that'll help?

ReputationRep:
    Really really missing him right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    How much longer now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Hugs* - its so hard when they are so far away.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking about painting her something for when i go to see her but then realised, ive done it twice for her now and if i do it too much it loses its "affection" for want of a better word.

Think ill save it for her birthday (ive got something big painting wise planned for that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)

Without meaning to sound too harsh, trust in an LDR is the most vital commodity, betrayal is all too easy when your partner is hundreds of miles away. If you cant trust him then............... its up to you but i was betrayed by a girl i was in a long term comitted relationship with and i lived with her at the time.
    I realise that, and I was ready to break up with him, but after some time to cool off and think about it I decided I'd put too much into this not to give us a second chance. We've talked, and the time we spent together really was good so I feel like we can fix it. He knows if he lies to me or messes up again it will be the last time.

On the other hand, I'm so unsure about this, I guess it's a matter of time that will either make or break us...

Sigh. Time apart from him puts so many questions in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    Hello. I appear to have picked up another LDR despite swearing I'd never be in another one. What's people's experiences when they're an hour away by train? I know it's not the longest of LDRs - it's not intercontinental - but it still does mean that I'm not going to be able to just see him when I want to. I was wondering how things went down with people of that distance.
    Hi! Boyfriend and I were pretty much an hour door-to-door at university (Coventry to a random tiny station on the outskirts of Birmingham, so factoring in waiting around time) and it's now an hour up the M6 for me to get to him in the holidays, so I know how you feel! Like, you feel like you should see them more because they're so close, but I wouldn't really feel like it's close enough to be able to go just for the afternoon, or something - especially driving - and so with exams coming up for both of us, taking a day out is a pretty big commitment time-wise... and, so, frustratingly, although we managed to see each other every weekend during term time, it's slipped to once every ten days-ish in the holidays - purely because we're both just so busy. I guess it's exacerbated by the fact that I'm a finalist and he's at medical school, though, so your situation might be different!

I guess the best advice I have is to plan in advance when you're going to see each other - being that close can sometimes mean that forward planning doesn't always happen, and there's nothing more depressing than not knowing when you're going to see them next. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Oh i know what you mean about closeness - myself and my partner have become incredibly close, she trusted me with something incredibly personal to me the day she met, ive told her things i never even told my ex of eight years, ok i get we are still in the honeymoon period but thats coming to the three month close mark and we are still at it...............
    I meant closeness in the geographical sense - it annoys me that we don't see each other that often, especially when you take into account how far apart we were from each other (not very far at all). But, yeah, emotional closeness is great, too. My perception of it is probably a bit skewed, though, because we spent the first year in international long distance, so I feel like our honeymoon phase has probably lasted a lot longer than other people's!

ReputationRep:
    So we all hate our distance from our partners, and feel for each other. But I am easily pleased by sunshine and it's great today, so shall we have a tiny pinch of positivity here?

How's about, give us just 2 reasons why your other half makes you really happy? I'll start

1) Makes me feel like I have a nice bum, haha.
    2) Can keep up with my insatiable need for cuddles!! Very important.

Just hoping to make each other smile in the midst of the crap that is falling in love with someone and then having to leave them far away.. Much love to you all.

ReputationRep:
    IIf I have to pick just two, I'd say:

1) The fact the he's crazy we always have the weirdest conversations, and they often end up with neither of us being able to breathe because we've laughed so hard

2) How confident he makes me feel about my body/myself in general.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll jump on this one today too I'm in a very good mood

1) How even though a month after we got together I had to move abroad, he still stuck by me and supported me when I was upset, even though it certainly wasn't the easier option
    2) How he makes me happier than I've ever been before, just by being him!

p.s. flo, I tried to rep you both, but got PRSOM for you

ReputationRep:
    Im onboard for this one (and rep for casy for the great idea)

1) she supports me, more than anyone ive ever been with, shes theres for me all the time, i can trust her with anything and know she will give me honest advice, she will hug me when i need it and slap me when i deserve it..................i could go on but you get the idea.
    2) she simply makes me so very happy.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody,

I recently met this guy through a friend of a friend and currently we are seeing each other. I am 21 and he is 19, He lives an hour-ish bus ride away but he has many commitments, such as work, college, learning to drive etc and as I care for my mother it's all about me finding the time when I can go out and when he isn't busy and it's pretty hard to find that time really.

Does anybody have any tips or advice on how we can try make this a little easier?

ReputationRep:
    Here goes:

1. The little text messages he sends me that make my day and make me feel like I'm the only girl in his universe.

2. The way he lays on me in bed and the little kisses on my forehead - (those kisses are just too cute).

^_^

ReputationRep:
    He's funny - we have a lot of inside jokes between us and I love it.
    He's loving - he knows when I'm pissy about something and acts accordingly :p:

ReputationRep:
    So many little things I love that I want to list :mmm: but basically just the loveliest person ever, makes me stupidly happy because of that, and makes me feel loads better about myself.
    And the inside jokes/stuff that would seem very weird to others :teehee: (and if you see this Infanta, mrrroww).

ReputationRep:
    Oh i hate living in birmingham, my missus who has a day off is currently sat having lunch with her sister at the side of a lake in Pontoon County of Mayo. I meanwhile am sat in a stuffy office talking to insurance companies.

I would kill to be there with her right now.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.