Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeh_jeh)
    It's a completely different scenario, I know (I would cry if my boyfriend was in the navy - it sounds hellish), but this is what I feel like with medicine. He won't be in a job with annual leave until FY1 - so still another three years to go - and even then I'm not sure what the procedure is as I know the hospital works you into the ground, and so it's just stupid things like not knowing when we'll be able to take a holiday together (I have to work all summer to fund my Masters, and then from next year his uni holidays get shorter and shorter). And then obviously there's the day-to-day reality of having to be doing some form of study all the time - it's unrelenting and there's never a break.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree I think - I see totally where you're coming from but there are SO many things more "anti-social" and more of a lifestyle choice than medicine. But I do understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Sazzy you'll have to let us know what the surprises are

I'm on the way to see the boy now sat in the airport contemplating if i can be bothered to get up and go through security I cant wait to see him feels like forever since he was here! :sad: were gonna do this week on the mega cheap cos we're both so brassick it hurts but he said hes got a little surprise for me and that ill have to leave him alone for a few hours while he sorts it out butttt after this visit, hes coming out here once more (were going for a holiday with his parents in Marbella hehe! involves an 8 hour bus ride to get from Murcia, who knew this country was so damn big) and then when I get back to England at the end of may, international LDR is overrrrrr then just gotta deal with regular LDR
    Haha well done !! Pleased to hear it.
    What's the "regular" LDR like? If there is a such thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andriux)
    I understand what you're saying, and I already knew this things, but I mean, most of you have a bf/gf somehow close to you (as in distance). But mine, he'll be in Romania, and I'll be in Scotland. 1300 miles away. We won't get to see each other every week, every month or at least every 2-3 months. It's expensive. So it would be very hard not to see him for months, maybe a year (depending on how I'd be able to come back for holidays).

We trust each other a lot, we love each other so much and we are dreaming of having a life-time relationship, but I don't know, I am very sensitive and easy to fall into depression, so for me it would be extremely tough to just be there without him.
    I don't know, it's hard... And sad.
    Believe me, I know exactly how you feel For about two years I lived in California and my boyfriend lived in northern England. It cost me about $1500 USD to visit him in flight costs alone. I was only able to see him once a year because we were both in uni and when I was on break I was vacationing with my family.

You're right, it is very hard and very sad. There certainly are some tips, as already been mentioned, but at the end of the day it really just comes down to patience and dedication for both parties.

Another thing I would suggest is finding activities you can do together. For example, my boyfriend and I both follow the same TV shows. So when a new episode comes out, we watch it at the same time. We're not physically together but it gives us a little bonding moment. We're able to share the moment in some way and we can talk/laugh about the show together As another example, my boyfriend and I are both into gaming. Unfortunately we like different kinds of games, but sometimes we can still find multi-player games that we can play together.

I think it helps if you can maintain a few bonding moments like that through your LDR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    We're going to have to agree to disagree I think - I see totally where you're coming from but there are SO many things more "anti-social" and more of a lifestyle choice than medicine. But I do understand
    Oh, no, I know - I'd hate it if he was in the Armed Forces, for example. But in terms of degree courses (which is what I was trying to get at, since most of us are students) I think it's right up there. I also think it's probably much easier to be the medic, than the person dating the medic. I know that when I'm absorbed in work, sometimes my boyfriend doesn't even cross my mind; and I'm sure when he has a thousand different things to do, the urge to spend time with me isn't as strong. But for the other person it's horrible. I'm also a year older, too, and I'm kind of getting to the "let's be domesticated!" stage, whereas he's getting to the "let's dedicate everything to the hospital so that I can figure out what specialty I'm going to do for the rest of my life!" stage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Haha well done !! Pleased to hear it.
    What's the "regular" LDR like? If there is a such thing!
    Haha obv no such thing as 'regular LDR' my bad, but for me, I've never really been in a relationship that wasn't ldr, so for me, regular ldr is something that doesn't involve catching a plane/crossing excessive amounts of water in some way

ReputationRep:
    In answer to all the medic-y things... I'm a medic, but I don't seem to massively fit in with the crowd, my friends are all people I've met through social stuff, (a lot of which was down to my boyfriend dragging me out of my hiding in first year...) so I think it depends very much on the individual couple. I'm glad that my OH isn't a medic, I'm always so grateful that I have that total escape from work that he gives me And he works really hard too so he motivates me a lot of the time!
    I actually got told today that my lack of competitveness is going to start holding me back if I'm not careful...
    Jeh_jeh - I'm almost the opposite; I get annoyed because I'm not graduating for ages yet, and he is next summer, so we both just want to settle and it's all a bit up in the air for the next few years. I also see loads of my third year friends graduating and moving in with partners this year, and I just want it to be us... I'm just impatient XD

Andriux - international LDRs are hard work, but like everyone else has said, so worth it if the relationship is strong, going somewhere and you're both willing to put the effort in We're 8 weeks through a 4.5 month UK-Australia stint, so I get how hard distance and time zones are. (But I'm actually glad it's a relatively short sharp separation, not one that drags over years seeing each other every few weeks... don't know how you guys have any kind of sanity left!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Haha obv no such thing as 'regular LDR' my bad, but for me, I've never really been in a relationship that wasn't ldr, so for me, regular ldr is something that doesn't involve catching a plane/crossing excessive amounts of water in some way
    Oh totally agree, just wondered what it's like for you guys once you're not international anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no, I know - I'd hate it if he was in the Armed Forces, for example. But in terms of degree courses (which is what I was trying to get at, since most of us are students) I think it's right up there. I also think it's probably much easier to be the medic, than the person dating the medic. I know that when I'm absorbed in work, sometimes my boyfriend doesn't even cross my mind; and I'm sure when he has a thousand different things to do, the urge to spend time with me isn't as strong. But for the other person it's horrible. I'm also a year older, too, and I'm kind of getting to the "let's be domesticated!" stage, whereas he's getting to the "let's dedicate everything to the hospital so that I can figure out what specialty I'm going to do for the rest of my life!" stage.
    This is what I'm (gently) getting at though. We're not all quite as keen as your boyfriend is so I feel that's a personal thing rather than medics in general. Which is obviously fine and just his choice!

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm (gently) getting at though. We're not all quite as keen as your boyfriend is so I feel that's a personal thing rather than medics in general. Which is obviously fine and just his choice!
    Haha, I'm definitely not saying he's "keen" - in fact, compared to a lot of other medics I know (by some coincidence, my sister and two of my best friends are also medics), he's basically horizontal - but I guess it's more pronounced because we're at different life stages (I'm doing a Masters in September and then working, for example) but also in a pretty serious, long-term relationship and I just want him for myself!

In other, more exciting less depressing, news, I'm seeing him tomorrow! :woo: Which definitely means that I should get off TSR and finish this silly essay. Feeling pretty craptacular, though, because my sister's boyfriend is practically living here at the moment and it just reinforces how much I miss him. :sad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh totally agree, just wondered what it's like for you guys once you're not international anymore?
    Depends - term time its hull to manchester and holidays its Reading - midlands

ReputationRep:
    just 3months until I move back to her, it's been a hard 9months but it seems to be getting so much harder now despite the end being in sight. We've both been feeling very lonely, we have friends etc. and keep ourselves busy but its just not the same.

A couple of weeks ago she went out with her friends and met some international students who they seemed to get on well with, she exchanged contact details with a few and last night she went to a gig with one of the guys, just the two of them. She got back at about 6am totally wasted but seemed he didnt try anything (which is what had worried us both). Today we talked as usual, and as usual she went for her shower (normally takes her 2 hours -.- was the same when we lived together) but today she never came back...in 9months she always came back and it has me freaking out a bit, thinking the worst. I've been pretty good at controlling these types of thoughts, but right now I just can't stop thinking that something happened.

My last relationship was an LDR and it ended with her cheating on me shortly before we were due to be reunited and it was a similar situation...always said I wouldn't do another LDR afterwards but this is someone worth waiting for. honestly dont think she would cheat and it was a tiny thing at the back of my mind at first, but over the past 24 hours its just been growing and growing and growing.

I've already sacrificed so much, I couldn't handle it if it ended now and it scares me, since we have plans that are pretty much set in stone. In 3 months time I'm due to leave the UK for good (at least in the long term) and it's almost as if I can't afford for that not to happen now, the plans have progressed too far...

Not really expecting much advice, since I know it can only be resolved through talking to her. I just needed to vent...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm definitely not saying he's "keen" - in fact, compared to a lot of other medics I know (by some coincidence, my sister and two of my best friends are also medics), he's basically horizontal - but I guess it's more pronounced because we're at different life stages (I'm doing a Masters in September and then working, for example) but also in a pretty serious, long-term relationship and I just want him for myself!

In other, more exciting less depressing, news, I'm seeing him tomorrow! :woo: Which definitely means that I should get off TSR and finish this silly essay. Feeling pretty craptacular, though, because my sister's boyfriend is practically living here at the moment and it just reinforces how much I miss him. :sad:
    Totally get the feeling of wanting them all to yourself!! Woohoo for tomorrow, have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGalago)
    We're 8 weeks through a 4.5 month UK-Australia stint, so I get how hard distance and time zones are. (But I'm actually glad it's a relatively short sharp separation, not one that drags over years seeing each other every few weeks... don't know how you guys have any kind of sanity left!)
    Guessing you know this song? xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSBKPkk4m4

ReputationRep:
    Four more sleeps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcnubn)
    just 3months until I move back to her, it's been a hard 9months but it seems to be getting so much harder now despite the end being in sight. We've both been feeling very lonely, we have friends etc. and keep ourselves busy but its just not the same.

A couple of weeks ago she went out with her friends and met some international students who they seemed to get on well with, she exchanged contact details with a few and last night she went to a gig with one of the guys, just the two of them. She got back at about 6am totally wasted but seemed he didnt try anything (which is what had worried us both). Today we talked as usual, and as usual she went for her shower (normally takes her 2 hours -.- was the same when we lived together) but today she never came back...in 9months she always came back and it has me freaking out a bit, thinking the worst. I've been pretty good at controlling these types of thoughts, but right now I just can't stop thinking that something happened.

My last relationship was an LDR and it ended with her cheating on me shortly before we were due to be reunited and it was a similar situation...always said I wouldn't do another LDR afterwards but this is someone worth waiting for. honestly dont think she would cheat and it was a tiny thing at the back of my mind at first, but over the past 24 hours its just been growing and growing and growing.

I've already sacrificed so much, I couldn't handle it if it ended now and it scares me, since we have plans that are pretty much set in stone. In 3 months time I'm due to leave the UK for good (at least in the long term) and it's almost as if I can't afford for that not to happen now, the plans have progressed too far...

Not really expecting much advice, since I know it can only be resolved through talking to her. I just needed to vent...
    I know you can't fend off the thought easily, but anything could have happened that isn't the worst. Ideally she should come back when she says she will but you can talk about it.
    I guess you've dropped her a text to get hold of you? and tried to call her?

ReputationRep:
    I know you can't fend off the thought easily, but anything could have happened that isn't the worst. Ideally she should come back when she says she will but you can talk about it.
    I guess you've dropped her a text to get hold of you? and tried to call her?
    Well I found out in the end. She went to the bar with the other guy. Says she's been feeling very lonely lately and wanted company. She came back after about 7 hours and looked like she had been crying a lot. apparently the other guy thought she was lieing when she said she had a boyfriend and he was just trying to get laid.

She says nothing happened and that she honestly thought this guy could be a friend of ours (hes going to be in my class next year). So I believe her, and we had a very good talk and hopefully have ideas to prevent the loneliness and detachment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Guessing you know this song? xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSBKPkk4m4
    No!! That is so... us. Can't believe I've not heard it before!! I've sent a link to the boy, his clocks change tonight so our time difference is an hour different again It means we've got even less of a crossover when both of us are awake (my mignight is his 9am) he's not a morning person and it's my revision period for exams

Hope everybody's ok, and that everyone who can is enjoying seeing their OH over holidays

ReputationRep:
    Two nights of him not being around out of 8 (due to him being on the ski trip), I'm already grumpy :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Another one here who is in a LDR! im gonna see my bf in 4 days after... approximately 40 days separate and i just cannnnt waiitt :evilbanana::heart:

ReputationRep:
    Totally get the feeling of wanting them all to yourself!! Woohoo for tomorrow, have fun!
    Tomorrow (today) didn't happen. :sad: It seems that London Midland have changed their timetable without warning so the earliest he can get to me is 1pm on a Sunday, and he'd have to be back at the station for 8. :sad: He said he can only see me once this week (don't ask... massive bone of contention right now!) so we've decided to wait until later in the week when we can have some proper time together. Plus, I'm looking after the house while my parents are away for Easter so it's better, really, because at least we'll get some time to ourselves, but it's still pretty sad because I'd got myself all hyped up about seeing him today. Ah well, on the bright side, I'm having a reasonably productive studying day!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.