Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ct2k7)
    He's had several opportunities to talk to me, to say hi etc.

I think it's clear where I stand with him.
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to give it a go posting here, you can ignore this if you want, I just need to vent a bit because it's driving me absolutely insane and my friends just don't seem to understand!

I've come home from uni for the summer (from Scotland to Northern Ireland) and in September I'm going to France for the year to teach (essentially taking a gap year from uni)
    Before I left uni I was seeing a guy- my flatmate who was also my best friend. Towards the end of the year we realised there was much more there than just friendship and we got together.
    The last few weeks were absolutely amazing, complete chick-flick movie worthy stuff (not even exaggerating) and those memories will be with me forever. But the time came for me to leave and that's sort of where the story ends. I've barely spoken to him in the past 2 weeks- I don't think I'd have the strength to because I get so upset thinking that we'll not see eachother for another year and a half :sad: The times we have spoken he's been the one to text/call first, but it's still not that often. I know he feels the same as I do- he's never done telling me how much he misses me etc, and he and I are absolutely identical in the sense that we're both really ridiculously sensitive and overly sentimental (That's how we realised that we liked each other in the first place) so I know he'll be feeling the same. It just hurts knowing that we both want to be with eachother but we can't.
    I don't really know what I'm wanting to achieve by posting this by the way! :lol:
    I know I'm being silly and that there are so many people in a worse situation. When I try to tell my friends about this they just don't know what to say, dear love them.
    Thanks for reading if you did, you have no idea how much better I feel after that wee rant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahcar)
    I'm going to give it a go posting here, you can ignore this if you want, I just need to vent a bit because it's driving me absolutely insane and my friends just don't seem to understand!

I've come home from uni for the summer (from Scotland to Northern Ireland) and in September I'm going to France for the year to teach (essentially taking a gap year from uni)
    Before I left uni I was seeing a guy- my flatmate who was also my best friend. Towards the end of the year we realised there was much more there than just friendship and we got together.
    The last few weeks were absolutely amazing, complete chick-flick movie worthy stuff (not even exaggerating) and those memories will be with me forever. But the time came for me to leave and that's sort of where the story ends. I've barely spoken to him in the past 2 weeks- I don't think I'd have the strength to because I get so upset thinking that we'll not see eachother for another year and a half :sad: The times we have spoken he's been the one to text/call first, but it's still not that often. I know he feels the same as I do- he's never done telling me how much he misses me etc, and he and I are absolutely identical in the sense that we're both really ridiculously sensitive and overly sentimental (That's how we realised that we liked each other in the first place) so I know he'll be feeling the same. It just hurts knowing that we both want to be with eachother but we can't.
    I don't really know what I'm wanting to achieve by posting this by the way! :lol:
    I know I'm being silly and that there are so many people in a worse situation. When I try to tell my friends about this they just don't know what to say, dear love them.
    Thanks for reading if you did, you have no idea how much better I feel after that wee rant!
    France isn't the end of the world sometimes a ryanair flight will set you back less than a train ticket would, so it could work if either of you have enough disposable cash for a few trips

Also, since you'll be teaching, I assume it'd mean you get half term holidays etc.? Could you use these as a time to visit, or him visit you?

if its worth the suffering that comes with an LDR, then go for it. The fact you'd have regular work and I assume lesson plans to make may keep your mind off the distance and any loneliness or longing as long as you feel you can trust him, since trust is the most important thing in an LDR, along with honesty.

It can work, this thread has several people in much longer LDR's for longer timescales, and although it is hard, you can come through it stronger and closer than before. Afterall the physical aspect of the relationship is mostly gone, so you may find you learn more about your partners emotions etc.

Perhaps you should talk to him about what each of you want, and whether you want to try or if either of you think it'll be too difficult, as an LDR only works if both are committed.

If you do go for it, I wish the best of luck to yous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcnubn)
    France isn't the end of the world sometimes a ryanair flight will set you back less than a train ticket would, so it could work if either of you have enough disposable cash for a few trips

Also, since you'll be teaching, I assume it'd mean you get half term holidays etc.? Could you use these as a time to visit, or him visit you?

if its worth the suffering that comes with an LDR, then go for it. The fact you'd have regular work and I assume lesson plans to make may keep your mind off the distance and any loneliness or longing as long as you feel you can trust him, since trust is the most important thing in an LDR, along with honesty.

It can work, this thread has several people in much longer LDR's for longer timescales, and although it is hard, you can come through it stronger and closer than before. Afterall the physical aspect of the relationship is mostly gone, so you may find you learn more about your partners emotions etc.

Perhaps you should talk to him about what each of you want, and whether you want to try or if either of you think it'll be too difficult, as an LDR only works if both are committed.

If you do go for it, I wish the best of luck to yous!
    Agree!!! No use ditching a great relationship! France is nothing :lol:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I posted previously ... wanted to say my man's back from Uni for summer now so as long as I get into Uni I won't be a LDR girrll anymore!!

BUT...

My boyfriend is currently in France for a month without me ... ha .... and he's going to India where he won't be able to contact me for 2 months with his lad friends and I want to die!! Basically, if anyone can think of ways we can keep contact out there itd be so good, cos right now I'm in a massive rut...

But right now, I kinda want to let him know something ... right now he can only afford to text me once when he's in France like every couple of days ... and when he does ... tbh they're really not helping the whole missing thing .... he's obviously not missing me otherwise he'd be saying sweet things ... but it's like he's texting a friend ... and I wish i could just let him know it'd be easier on me if he was a bit more soppy? But I feel like I can't say anything cos he's away on this fun holiday with all his horny Uni friends (ha) and if I said this, would it be like moaning? would it piss him off? I'm also going through a lot at home right now AND exams and I feel like I can't talk to him about it ... cos I feel like I'd annoy him and he'd do something silly out there x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa=))
    Hey, I posted previously ... wanted to say my man's back from Uni for summer now so as long as I get into Uni I won't be a LDR girrll anymore!!

BUT...

My boyfriend is currently in France for a month without me ... ha .... and he's going to India where he won't be able to contact me for 2 months with his lad friends and I want to die!! Basically, if anyone can think of ways we can keep contact out there itd be so good, cos right now I'm in a massive rut...

But right now, I kinda want to let him know something ... right now he can only afford to text me once when he's in France like every couple of days ... and when he does ... tbh they're really not helping the whole missing thing .... he's obviously not missing me otherwise he'd be saying sweet things ... but it's like he's texting a friend ... and I wish i could just let him know it'd be easier on me if he was a bit more soppy? But I feel like I can't say anything cos he's away on this fun holiday with all his horny Uni friends (ha) and if I said this, would it be like moaning? would it piss him off? I'm also going through a lot at home right now AND exams and I feel like I can't talk to him about it ... cos I feel like I'd annoy him and he'd do something silly out there x
    Hey honey, had this same problem whenever I'd just come back from visiting my bf and his emails are quite matter of fact while in person he's really really ridiculously affectionate and soppy. I talked to him about it and after a while of him being all like "no i'm not a machine, this is the way i am" he realised that whenever he'd send cute emails, it'd help me with the separation. Talk to him as nicely as you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa=))

BUT...

India is pretty developed haha, there will be ways for him to get in touch!

ReputationRep:
    Just though I'd introduce myself as one of the LDR girlfriends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plums&Peaches)
    Just though I'd introduce myself as one of the LDR girlfriends
    :hello:

Welcome! This is a great place for anyone who's long distance

Would you like to tell us something about your LDR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Snuffleupagus)
    :hello:

Welcome! This is a great place for anyone who's long distance

Would you like to tell us something about your LDR?
    We only live a few hours away fortunately so we're lucky in that sense but we're both so busy and I haven't seen him in ages. Seeing him in a few weeks though after exams, soo excited :eek: how about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone holding up?

Bit of a crazy day today I know I can't stop him from looking at other girls, he's a guy and it's ingrained :rolleyes:
    But I don't do it! Seriously, I never do, I guess I'm still sososo much in love
    Grrr when he likes/comments on his friends' photos on facebook :judge:

Anyone car relate? How do you girls do?

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone holding up?

Bit of a crazy day today I know I can't stop him from looking at other girls, he's a guy and it's ingrained :rolleyes:
    But I don't do it! Seriously, I never do, I guess I'm still sososo much in love
    Grrr when he likes/comments on his friends' photos on facebook :judge:

Anyone car relate? How do you girls do?
    Aw same, I feel extremely jealous and it's just made worse because its LDR

ReputationRep:
    We only live a few hours away fortunately so we're lucky in that sense but we're both so busy and I haven't seen him in ages. Seeing him in a few weeks though after exams, soo excited :eek: how about everyone else?
    Aww sweet!

I have been in a LDR for 2 years, we live in different countries. We are both quite busy, but the major thing is money. I thought this would be our last year apart but nope First I was mad but then what can I do. Better find a job soon so I can visit more often at least

Good luck on the exams! You are almost done! Big :hugs:

Aw same, I feel extremely jealous and it's just made worse because its LDR
    :hugs: again

Feel free to contact me ANY time for this. I know how it feels, it's tough Also my bf is not jealous at alllll which makes it all the more annoying when I am

ReputationRep:
    Aww sweet!

I have been in a LDR for 2 years, we live in different countries. We are both quite busy, but the major thing is money. I thought this would be our last year apart but nope First I was mad but then what can I do. Better find a job soon so I can visit more often at least

Good luck on the exams! You are almost done! Big :hugs:

:hugs: again

Feel free to contact me ANY time for this. I know how it feels, it's tough Also my bf is not jealous at alllll which makes it all the more annoying when I am
    GIRL I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT. Sigh, how did you meet him ?

ReputationRep:
    GIRL I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE ON ABOUT. Sigh, how did you meet him ?
    My theory is that he acts cool because he knows that it makes me worse

I went to London for an English summer course. His university was on my way to school. We met by chance and hit it off right away

How about you dear? I like you already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    him being all like "no i'm not a machine, this is the way i am"
    I've heard this soo many times haha. Apparently it's hard to be nice?

Also my bf is not jealous at alllll which makes it all the more annoying when I am
    Haha can relate to this I seem a right nutcase and he's like whatever! Sooo annoying.

ReputationRep:
    My theory is that he acts cool because he knows that it makes me worse

I went to London for an English summer course. His university was on my way to school. We met by chance and hit it off right away

How about you dear? I like you already
    I think that could be said about all guys When I get jealous I'm a psycho ***** and that happens a lot so I assure you you're not as bad as me
    Awwwwwww so cute :love: my story is nowhere as cute though

(Original post by Linzikins)
    I've heard this soo many times haha. Apparently it's hard to be nice?

Haha can relate to this I seem a right nutcase and he's like whatever! Sooo annoying.
    I thought I was the only one :O They just don't understand, :facepalm: And it's even harder to show feelings! :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Aw, that's not my case at all. We're both really jealous and that leads to frequent arguments! I think it's way better when your other half isn't jealous as it helps to calm down and avoid major arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is popular but a little antisocial with other people! People end up wanting more attention than he gives anyone else, so me being jealous of his attention to others has never been an issue for me!!

ReputationRep:
    REALLY NEED HELP PEOPLE
    My friends say they don't know my boyfriend who I've been with for over a year now because they barely ever see him. They're right though, he never comes down because I usually go to him and either way, it's very expensive for us to see each other. When he comes here he has to leave the same day because there's no where to stay or anything so he's with me for about 5 hours, or when we're out, we all stay at one friends. He's done that with us twice and this is the only time he's really met my friends. He doesn't have many friends because he just moved to his college and only knows the people on his course.
    The distance is causing MAJOR jealousy issues for me though. All of my girls are in relationships with our guy friends or someone in our school or near by and I never see my boyfriend. They can see each other every day. Sometimes the jealousy gets so bad I hate them a little bit. And all they're doing is holding hands or something? It's becoming clear that I can't handle distance. I really love him though.

What do I do? :confused:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.