The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LDRs are hard :'(
Hi guys! Glad I found this thread.

So I'm thinking ahead quite a lot, as I'm not going to university this year, but next year (maybe the year after) I'm quite the one for advanced planning! The only universities I'm considering applying to are a maximum of 1 hour and a half away. Now, to me, that really isn't that much. I plan to come home every 2 weeks at least . Although I don't know how that will pan out, sometimes it could be more, sometimes less.

My boyfriend :biggrin: is 6 years older than me, already been out of university for a couple of years, and yes he is the one for me. :love: We've been together 1.5 years and living together for practically the same amount of time. We get on so well, live in perfect harmony, fight probably 4 or 5 times a year.. the rest of the time we're just so happy and comfortable in each other's company.. just enjoying our time and our lives together.

I was talking about the possibility of having to move away yesterday with him.. personally I feel there's no reason why it can't work. We communicate brilliantly, we're honest and faithful.. I know it'll be difficult but if we put in the effort, keep in touch, surely there's not an issue? He, however, seems to think that I'm being unrealistic. I know I can't say for definite whether it will or will not work but at least I'm being a little more positive about the situation. He says he's just being a 'realist' and that although he will be committed, it will be difficult. This worries me. I feel as though his heart isn't truly in it.

I do however see his point of view. For all the time we've been together we've been sharing our every day lives together. If I move away it'll be a massive change; university will overtake and that will be my main life. I'll have a different life, in a different city.

I really worry about this because this is the person I could be sharing the rest of my life with, and yet, I have to go to university. I just wish I could have both. :frown:

The other thing is that by the time I'm out of uni, he'll be 30/31.. I fear that at the age he's going to be wanting a proper, stable, living together relationship, but I'm not going to be able to give him that.

Sorry for the rant.... but it felt so good!!
Rants are good sometimes :smile:

For starters you're right, there's no reason it can't work, especially if you'll be 2 hours away max. What does he do? I wouldn't normally suggest that living in the same place for uni was such a good idea, but could he look into getting a job nearer you, if he's that worried? He's right - you can't know what'll happen, but LDRs do work :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Rants are good sometimes :smile:

For starters you're right, there's no reason it can't work, especially if you'll be 2 hours away max. What does he do? I wouldn't normally suggest that living in the same place for uni was such a good idea, but could he look into getting a job nearer you, if he's that worried? He's right - you can't know what'll happen, but LDRs do work :smile:

I know, I view it as no distance at all! I've never been in a relationship where you can just pop round their house when you like, there's always some form of travel, and the length of travel makes no difference to me.

He is currently seeking employment as his previous employer went into administration. He's looking to be a recruitment consultant so I guess in that sector the jobs are pretty flexible and plentiful. In terms of relocation - we'll have to see nearer the time. :smile:

I've seen from all the amazing people in this thread that LDR'S do work! It instilled some confidence within me, so I then approached him about it all, and didn't get the most confident answer!

I feel you need to be positive. I was expecting more like 'yeah screw it, we'll work through it'. If you don't have that attitude I feel you'll let the distance get to you. Ah well.

Thankyou for your time. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Reply 8364
Original post by Shehz94
Ahh, that sucks, hope everything works out mate :smile:

Well would you believe it, after I made that topic, I went to the shop and I randomly met an Italian girl..I had my flight booked to come home the next day..but ended up spending the next 3 days with her, going out with her friends, meeting her parents, sleeping by the beach, in general having a really cool few days, helped take my mind of things :smile:

We had some holiday romance... which was also very welcome! Only problem now is to stop myself getting in another LDR lol! Nah it was just a bit of fun although she's planning to come to London in September so will see how it goes then!

She definitely put a smile on my face thought after all the **** with my now ex...
I want my boyfriend back :frown:
I can't wait until September when we're living together at Uni again.
I feel weird posting this lol, not sure why, but I really need some advice Dx I've been with my bf nearly two years(: I love him sooo much, but we talk on Skype every now and then, about 2 times a month, and he cancels on me a LOT with makes me feel really bad xD Like its my fault or something, I always feel like I'm waiting for him to come online on chats(easier to talk rather than texting all the time), he moved again and won't give me his new address as I wanted to send him stuff for his birthday..which he said I could...Ahhh.. I'm just not sure at all what to do lol..even If I broke up with him id still love him, but when I wait for him to never come on it really does hurt a lot..and the fact that he has lied to me before hurts..

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8367
Definitely break up with him, don't let him hurt you, why would you need that if there is some other boy in the world who can make you feel happy? from your description I think he doesn't even love you, don't let some guy ruin your life. :wink:
Hi guys, just want a mini rant really!

At christmas my 3 year long distance relationship ended. It was nothing to do with the distance, we were just different people at the begnning of uni compared to how we were at the start and wanted different things. Its a shame because he had just finished uni and was moving back to our home town, so we could have finally been together and lived together! But it just didnt work out.

Well since then I've got into a new relationship...with a guy I went to Uni with! So suddenly I'm back in an LDR again! He lives 1 hour 40 mins away by car so its not too bad (previously I was 3.5 hours away from my ex) but hes a very busy guy (he does a lot of sports competitions during the summer months so theres not alot of time for me to see him). ive managed to see him most weekends though!

I love him and love spending time with him. We have so much in common and have a great time together. We've been together 4 months now. When I get home though I feel a bit sad and disheartened. Im back in the same position I was nearly 4 years ago with my ex, having to travel back and forth. I would love so much to experience living nearby my bf, I imagine it would be so much easier!

Im almost abit scared of putting my all into my new relationship because Im scared of it failing like the last one did and ending up hurt. I really do love my boyfriend and Im scared of obstacles cropping up that prevent us being together. He has only just graduated for example and hasnt got a job yet (whereas i graduated last year and have a job and rent a house). I worry he will end up abroad, or many many hours away.

Sorry for the rant, im just sat here missing him I guess :frown: I hate sleeping on my own and being here in my house all alone. It will be a couple of weekends before I see him, which I know isnt that much in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like it at the moment
My boyfriend is moving to Germany in a week's time as he's in the army and his battalion are stationed there. I'm in the carribean at the moment so I now won't see him until Xmas ...tbh I'm heartbroken, I just can't see how this will work :frown: I've only seen him for one afternoon since 6th may and I miss him so much. Still I guess all these stories on here give me hope :smile: will have to keep the fingers crossed and try and communicate as best we can.
Original post by az08
Well would you believe it, after I made that topic, I went to the shop and I randomly met an Italian girl..I had my flight booked to come home the next day..but ended up spending the next 3 days with her, going out with her friends, meeting her parents, sleeping by the beach, in general having a really cool few days, helped take my mind of things :smile:

We had some holiday romance... which was also very welcome! Only problem now is to stop myself getting in another LDR lol! Nah it was just a bit of fun although she's planning to come to London in September so will see how it goes then!

She definitely put a smile on my face thought after all the **** with my now ex...

Aww that sounds great! :smile:

It is strange, sometimes great things happen at the most unexpected times.

Anyway, good luck to you!
Reply 8371
Hey to everyone in the thread,
Need to keep myself occupied. Going crazy here. LDR just got abit worse, he just went to Japan for 3 weeks and heading back to see his family in Asia and won't be back till mid Sept. I guess its the non-communication for three weeks part which is making me down :frown:. Just hopes he texts me when he arrives later today.
Meanwhile here in UK, still unemployed, sending and sent numerous applications, there are just no jobs for what I'm looking.
Soo..guess feeling down......... need to do stuff.. even worse is I have few friends..
rant over
Original post by kikko
Hey to everyone in the thread,
Need to keep myself occupied. Going crazy here. LDR just got abit worse, he just went to Japan for 3 weeks and heading back to see his family in Asia and won't be back till mid Sept. I guess its the non-communication for three weeks part which is making me down :frown:. Just hopes he texts me when he arrives later today.
Meanwhile here in UK, still unemployed, sending and sent numerous applications, there are just no jobs for what I'm looking.
Soo..guess feeling down......... need to do stuff.. even worse is I have few friends..
rant over

Don't worry :hugs: I haven't got ANYTHING exciting to do except work and read until September, when I fly over again :frown: my one best friend is away right now, one of my sisters is away until August, the other leaves for a week tomorrow, my mum decided the other day that she doesn't want anything else to do with me, so I haven't got much company either :redface: Luckily my boyfriend's kind of around for now (he's drinking and xBoxing with a friend right now, been slightly lonely this evening) but he goes on holiday in August - but then at least my sisters are back. I can understand the non-communication thing, I've had that all year due to exams and things, his phone contract recently ran out so no emails throughout the day if he's out, and now even though he's generally at home and can check his emails, I have no phone >.< There's only so much time I can spend hunched over this ancient laptop that I can only use sitting on the living room floor because of its inability to connect to WiFi. I have only just come back from seeing him though, and it's seven weeks until I see him again- how long has it been for you? Can he not email you? :frown:
Reply 8373
Original post by such_a_lady
Don't worry :hugs: I haven't got ANYTHING exciting to do except work and read until September, when I fly over again :frown: my one best friend is away right now, one of my sisters is away until August, the other leaves for a week tomorrow, my mum decided the other day that she doesn't want anything else to do with me, so I haven't got much company either :redface: Luckily my boyfriend's kind of around for now (he's drinking and xBoxing with a friend right now, been slightly lonely this evening) but he goes on holiday in August - but then at least my sisters are back. I can understand the non-communication thing, I've had that all year due to exams and things, his phone contract recently ran out so no emails throughout the day if he's out, and now even though he's generally at home and can check his emails, I have no phone >.< There's only so much time I can spend hunched over this ancient laptop that I can only use sitting on the living room floor because of its inability to connect to WiFi. I have only just come back from seeing him though, and it's seven weeks until I see him again- how long has it been for you? Can he not email you? :frown:

:hugs: Thanks for the reply, it's good that you have work, you can kind of be out and about :smile: 7 weeks is a long timee :frown: How far are you frm each other, can you not see sooner?
Wel lthe deal is, we are normally LDR in UK anyway - I'm 2 hours from London hes in London, but we usually talk everyday :redface:. He went to Japan yesterday, I asked him to text me I'm not sure if his phone network would work over there... so i'm hoping he could email me but then I'm not sure if he'll have wifi at the hotel. I guess we won't be communicating if that's the case until 3 weeks time where hes back with his family in Asia since he has internet there lol. But hes not properly back till mid september - I hope to have got a job and moved to London by then - thats the plan. Sigh. :frown: I need a job or soemthing at least for now!! I am lucky that I am living at home at the moment so I am in the company of my parents, but I guess 3 weeks non communication is the longesttt we've had. Sorry long postttt. :redface:
Original post by kikko
:hugs: Thanks for the reply, it's good that you have work, you can kind of be out and about :smile: 7 weeks is a long timee :frown: How far are you frm each other, can you not see sooner?
Wel lthe deal is, we are normally LDR in UK anyway - I'm 2 hours from London hes in London, but we usually talk everyday :redface:. He went to Japan yesterday, I asked him to text me I'm not sure if his phone network would work over there... so i'm hoping he could email me but then I'm not sure if he'll have wifi at the hotel. I guess we won't be communicating if that's the case until 3 weeks time where hes back with his family in Asia since he has internet there lol. But hes not properly back till mid september - I hope to have got a job and moved to London by then - thats the plan. Sigh. :frown: I need a job or soemthing at least for now!! I am lucky that I am living at home at the moment so I am in the company of my parents, but I guess 3 weeks non communication is the longesttt we've had. Sorry long postttt. :redface:

He lives in Germany, so average gap is two months. Last time it was two and a half months, killer :frown:
Just found this thread. I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months, we met at uni and now we have to spend 2 and a half months apart as we've both moved home for the summer. I'm really missing him as I'm used to seeing him everyday and we live over 3 hours away from each other. I know it's not really that long to spend apart but it feels like so much longer. Not quite sure what to do with myself tbh :frown:
Hey guys, I'll be in a long distance relationship from September. I will only be moving 2 hours away, but it'll be quite difficult to get back home often.

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years, so I fully believe we can get through this distance - and two hours isn't that bad compared to what some people have to deal with! It'll just be hard at first getting used to not seeing each other. I see him twice a week, at least.

In May, he went to Malaysia for 3 weeks, and that was pretty hard at first, but it got easier as the weeks went on. We could only email - so at least when I'm at Uni I know we can speak on the phone.

So yeah, that's my kind of background. I'm hoping that once Uni starts I'll be too busy to 'really' miss him, you know? And I'll have the dates that I go home to look forward to (:
Original post by oodlesofpoodles
Just found this thread. I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months, we met at uni and now we have to spend 2 and a half months apart as we've both moved home for the summer. I'm really missing him as I'm used to seeing him everyday and we live over 3 hours away from each other. I know it's not really that long to spend apart but it feels like so much longer. Not quite sure what to do with myself tbh :frown:

I'm in the same boat as you. My boyfriend was my flatmate (yeah, we got a lot of stick for it to begin with) so I've lived with him from Day 1 essentially! Saw him everyday, cooked dinner everyday with him and fell asleep and woke up next to him everyday. He's in London and I'm in Southampton for the term holidays. It's really weird at the moment. Feel like I'm missing a limb without him being here.
Original post by conniebee
I'm in the same boat as you. My boyfriend was my flatmate (yeah, we got a lot of stick for it to begin with) so I've lived with him from Day 1 essentially! Saw him everyday, cooked dinner everyday with him and fell asleep and woke up next to him everyday. He's in London and I'm in Southampton for the term holidays. It's really weird at the moment. Feel like I'm missing a limb without him being here.

Wow this sounds so similar to my situation. I lived in the same flat as my boyfriend too, we basically lived together for 9 months, so it's really weird not to have that now.
Original post by oodlesofpoodles
Wow this sounds so similar to my situation. I lived in the same flat as my boyfriend too, we basically lived together for 9 months, so it's really weird not to have that now.

Glad I wasn't the only one who was with a flatmate. I got a lot of stick for "sh*tting on your own doorstep."

Latest

Trending

Trending