Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just found this thread. I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months, we met at uni and now we have to spend 2 and a half months apart as we've both moved home for the summer. I'm really missing him as I'm used to seeing him everyday and we live over 3 hours away from each other. I know it's not really that long to spend apart but it feels like so much longer. Not quite sure what to do with myself tbh

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'll be in a long distance relationship from September. I will only be moving 2 hours away, but it'll be quite difficult to get back home often.

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years, so I fully believe we can get through this distance - and two hours isn't that bad compared to what some people have to deal with! It'll just be hard at first getting used to not seeing each other. I see him twice a week, at least.

In May, he went to Malaysia for 3 weeks, and that was pretty hard at first, but it got easier as the weeks went on. We could only email - so at least when I'm at Uni I know we can speak on the phone.

So yeah, that's my kind of background. I'm hoping that once Uni starts I'll be too busy to 'really' miss him, you know? And I'll have the dates that I go home to look forward to (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodlesofpoodles)
    Just found this thread. I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months, we met at uni and now we have to spend 2 and a half months apart as we've both moved home for the summer. I'm really missing him as I'm used to seeing him everyday and we live over 3 hours away from each other. I know it's not really that long to spend apart but it feels like so much longer. Not quite sure what to do with myself tbh
    I'm in the same boat as you. My boyfriend was my flatmate (yeah, we got a lot of stick for it to begin with) so I've lived with him from Day 1 essentially! Saw him everyday, cooked dinner everyday with him and fell asleep and woke up next to him everyday. He's in London and I'm in Southampton for the term holidays. It's really weird at the moment. Feel like I'm missing a limb without him being here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    I'm in the same boat as you. My boyfriend was my flatmate (yeah, we got a lot of stick for it to begin with) so I've lived with him from Day 1 essentially! Saw him everyday, cooked dinner everyday with him and fell asleep and woke up next to him everyday. He's in London and I'm in Southampton for the term holidays. It's really weird at the moment. Feel like I'm missing a limb without him being here.

Wow this sounds so similar to my situation. I lived in the same flat as my boyfriend too, we basically lived together for 9 months, so it's really weird not to have that now.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this sounds so similar to my situation. I lived in the same flat as my boyfriend too, we basically lived together for 9 months, so it's really weird not to have that now.
    Glad I wasn't the only one who was with a flatmate. I got a lot of stick for "sh*tting on your own doorstep."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    Glad I wasn't the only one who was with a flatmate. I got a lot of stick for "sh*tting on your own doorstep."
    I got exactly that same line as did my boyfriend from a lot of his friends. It seemed to die down after a while though when it was obvious it wan't just a fling. Hope it settled down for you too

ReputationRep:
    I got exactly that same line as did my boyfriend from a lot of his friends. It seemed to die down after a while though when it was obvious it wan't just a fling. Hope it settled down for you too
    Yeah, when they realised we were actually really happy and respected the rest of the flatmates (we weren't flaunting it in front of them) they stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Can't get through to Bf's phone and hes not replying texts . Worried! (hes in Japan right now)

ReputationRep:
    Although my OH and I get to spend most of the summer together, after today I won't see him for two weeks. He's going to Cornwall tomorrow and I'm off to guide camp (as a leader!) on Saturday. Then I get back and go on holiday to Wales... I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I cried loads just now when he left! For several weeks I've seen him almost every day and now I won't.

Also, I'm going to a place in Wales with almost no phone signal which'll make things more difficult. But the most upsetting bit was realising that when I go to uni, not seeing him for two weeks will become quite a regular thing :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codle)
    Although my OH and I get to spend most of the summer together, after today I won't see him for two weeks. He's going to Cornwall tomorrow and I'm off to guide camp (as a leader!) on Saturday. Then I get back and go on holiday to Wales... I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I cried loads just now when he left! For several weeks I've seen him almost every day and now I won't.

Also, I'm going to a place in Wales with almost no phone signal which'll make things more difficult. But the most upsetting bit was realising that when I go to uni, not seeing him for two weeks will become quite a regular thing :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    You will be FINE

ReputationRep:
    Aw :sad: I'm kind of in the same situation here. I'm from France but studying in Manchester and I met my boyfriend there 6 months ago. I'm now back home for the summer and none of us can fly to see each other before the 8th of September, which is exactly 7 weeks away. It's already been a week since I last saw him and there's not been a single day where I haven't cried.. We already spent 3 weeks away from each other in April but I didn't feel as sad back then, it's just the 8 weeks thing that scares me.
    The hardest thing is that, even though I know he misses me a lot, he's not one to say that kind of things and is pretty shy about his feelings, therefore I sometimes feel like I'm the only one being that miserable...

I hope the first days are the hardest?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new here but have lurked in this thread for a while

I've been going out with my boyfriend for just over three years, the whole time we've been in an LDR. Firstly it was Edinburgh to London whilst I was at Uni, so about 4 1/2 hours on the train but now it's Aberdeen to London, so 7 hours on the train. Ahh. I get to see him fairly regularly compared to a lot of you guys and have got into a good routine.

I'm looking for a job in London now so like I'm sure many of the others can say in here, it does work!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to just sleep in the same bed as my gf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ct2k7)
    I really want to just sleep in the same bed as my gf
    Same here If anything I just miss rolling over and curling up to him whilst he's sleeping and just stroking his cheek or chest.

My boyfriend came down for the weekend to meet my friends, we were meant to sleep over at a friends house, but she cancelled at the last minute. We ended up booking a hotel room and having some time together as we didn't fancy my parent's making us sleep in two different rooms :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I just broke up with my long distance girlfriend, we were on Erasmus together and were only a few days into our LDR, I was visiting her and she broke up with me on the third day. I really miss her, I want to be back together with her again, it's so hard. I posted more details in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2063056

So many people are telling me my boyfriend will cheat on me and change as a person when he goes to Uni. I don't know what to do.

He's lied to me before about little things, so why wouldn't he lie about the bigger things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So many people are telling me my boyfriend will cheat on me and change as a person when he goes to Uni. I don't know what to do.

He's lied to me before about little things, so why wouldn't he lie about the bigger things?
    Serious things? And why are people randomly saying this to you?

Come September I'll be joining the LDR club, moving 3 hours away from home + Girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a LDR, well not so much anymore. We only live 30 mins away from each other but only see each other on weekends. When I went to Australia for 5 months it went better than I thought it would. But I do go away quite a lot and I'm quite lucky he is supportive in anything I do!
    My advice to anyone (especially anyone who plans to go away for a lengthy time) if he/she is the one you're meant to be with then they will wait for you

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend now ex split with me cause instead of being an hour and half away from each other we will now be 2 hours when i go to uni
    with him working in the week and me having to get a weekend job we wuld never see each other.

i was upset but im ok now i feel free and ready to go to uni and meet people up that way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.