Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Boyfriend leaves for Scotland in 2 weeks today!

*cries*
    Atleast you have time to prepare, my boyfriend got told he was moving the night before he moved :'( I feel your pain
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You what I find stupid as well when a couple say they are going to break up when they go away to Uni but they say this back in say July, I mean what's the point staying together if you say you are going to break up like two months later, I could not have any sort if relationship like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just to subscribe

Soon I'll be going into LDR, don't know how I will cope with that for 2 years. It's going to be hard, wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danni130)
    Atleast you have time to prepare, my boyfriend got told he was moving the night before he moved :'( I feel your pain
    Aww :/ hang in there.

ReputationRep:
    5 weeks until I next see my boyfriend that would be fine but I won't have much contact with him before then as he's going to Russia for a couple of weeks and has lots of reading to do for next term so he won't be online much. I miss him already!

ReputationRep:
    I am just dropping in to subscribe as well.

Met my girlfriend when i was travelling in the US. We had a great time together but now we are both back in our respective countries (UK and Estonia). Currently its going great but neither of us have been in a LDR before so hopefully it will turn out alright She is coming over to the UK in October as well so I have that to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    Helloo everyone

I'm just here to give a bit of hope for those of you just starting out in LDRs. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years now - we started going out when he was over here on a study abroad year. From the beginning we were classified "LDR" because he lived in Reading, whereas I lived in Essex. However, it was no big deal doing the 2-3 hour train journey to see each other a couple of times a month. Thankfully having a city like London between us made it really easy to meet up for single days together. He was over here for about 8 months before moving back to... the US. Now he lives about 5000 miles away on the coast of California. I have spent the past 2 years out of school, and so I have made the most of my time and visited him for extended periods (about 6 months in total, over 3 trips). He visited me once over a Christmas break from university, and after he graduated in May he got himself a place at a field school over here and is spending the rest of the summer.

So our relationship is a little odd, even for long-distance. The longest time we spent apart was almost 1 year, and at the end of that I spent 2 months living with him. Our time apart is really, really hard. We survive it by making a big, conscious effort to talk every single day. We use Skype, text (iPhone to iPhone), email, Facebook and every other free device. It's definitely possible to speak to an international partner every day if you make the most of the internet. I think the key to having a successful long-distance relationship is understanding that your relationship will change from when you are together to when you are apart. We are a pretty normal couple when together - we're affectionate, we bicker... very average for 20-somethings who have been together for a couple of years. However, when we're apart we do act more like best friends than boyfriend-girlfriend. It's hard to explain. Basically, what I'm saying is... things will change. You aren't a normal couple anymore, because there's a thousand+ miles between you. You can't rely on the physical side of your relationship to keep you going anymore. You have to make a serious effort to keep communication up, because that's all you've got.

This is already far too long. If anyone has any questions or needs some advice/support, ask me here or PM me if you like

ReputationRep:
    Hi to all the new people!! :hi:

I'm visiting my boyfriend on Saturday after a gap of about seven weeks :woo: spent twelve days together at the very start of July. International LDR will be ending in a month when he moves to England, and truth be told I'm terrified of the "new" relationship because we've been doing this for ten months now and we're pretty good at it. Scary :woo:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Really need some advice for someone in a similar situation. I've just entered an LDR, about 4 hours away, with my boyfriend from university (been dating around 2 years). Starting the graduate job hunting and whilst I've got a few interviews set up, he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, even though he has been searching the entire summer. This is putting a real strain on the relationship, obviously you need money to see each other, go away etc. and we didn't get the chance to celebrate graduation/ end of university with a holiday as we knew we had to look for work. Just really frustrating really especially seeing as everyone is going away and thinking well we can't do that. Just keep thinking about the future and wondering, well when will we live together, we live at opposite ends of the country and who knows where we could go with future jobs and things.

ReputationRep:
    Just posting to subscribe
    Spoke to my boyfriend for 3 years before we finally got together last July! So we've been together just over a year and he went off to uni last september for the year. His uni is 4 hours from where I live (and i also live on an island which makes it very expensive to see him and the ferry times are rubbish). It was a tough year and he's going off again soon for another year! Next year I will hopefully get into a uni near him and make things better But we've managed to cope for a year apart by skyping/doing things simultaneously/ringing each other and meeting every few weeks. It's tough but I definitely think it's worth it. Long distance relationships really make you appreciate life and your boy/girlfriend a hell of a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Subscribing...

I'm moving away from my boyfriend after almost a year of pretty much living with eachother. I'll be living in Paris, and he'll be out in Norwich. So about 5hrs public transport time, it's just so expensive. We're looking to see each other once every two months hopefully. I have no idea how it's going to work, but at the moment it's like something is haunting our relationship. I really want it to work but I'm scared.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    If you just feel like an un-LDR related chat, you can come to the LDR Society chat thread which is located here.
    This should be updated to the new thread!

ReputationRep:
    My summer in Ireland with my boyfriend is coming to an end and I'm just so sad... I know its only one more year of LDR but everything is just so perfect when we're together and things get so hard when we're separate.. I guess after wednesday I'll come here to moan quite often

edit: I've just read lacewingfly encouraging message...thanks for that, ill have to read it a few times again when I'm back in Spain.

ReputationRep:
    one more day :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick message to say it's lovely reading all your posts about your LDR, my relationship used to be long distance but we now live together - couldn't imagine without now! and also have friends who have been together for 2 years and finally meeting on Saturday - she is flying out to Australia to see him all the way from Norway. So lovely!

I'll leave you all be now :yes:

Keep Smiling!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100P

I've been going out with someone for about one month now, he lives around two hours away so not very far. We had an instant connection and our relationship is something I can only ever imagined would be true. He's beautiful and has the most amazing personality! We keep in contact via phone / Skype and often use webcam to keep in touch and do things like watch movies together, fall asleep together etc and plan to meet in the near future. I've surprised myself at how real a LDR feels and how attached I feel to him. He's literally on my mind all of the time. I suppose my worry is how I'd feel if I lost him and how he always seems to want to talk to me really late at night which means I'm really tired. I'd love to talk to him earlier on in the evening but he's always talking to his friends. We both trust each other very much and I could talk to him about anything!

I've been with my boyfriend for just over 3 years, we live up North and I'm going to uni down South over 4 hours away.

Up until now I've been really excited about going and confident that we can manage by seeing each other in the holidays, using skype and him coming down to visit during term time when we have the money for travel and such. But now, with only 2 weeks to go I just feel really rubbish about the whole thing. I'm still excited to go to university but at the same time all I can think about it how much I'm going to miss him. Just sat here crying for like 15 minutes after signing my accommodation contract because it's made me realise how real this all is and that he's not going to be there.

I know this sounds really stupid and clingy but he really is like my best friend as well as my boyfriend, we've been getting on better than ever recently and spent so much time together over summer, it's kind of making it worse because everything's so great with him. Just worried I'm gonna be all mopey for my first few weeks at uni instead of enjoying myself and making friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been with my boyfriend for just over 3 years, we live up North and I'm going to uni down South over 4 hours away.

Up until now I've been really excited about going and confident that we can manage by seeing each other in the holidays, using skype and him coming down to visit during term time when we have the money for travel and such. But now, with only 2 weeks to go I just feel really rubbish about the whole thing. I'm still excited to go to university but at the same time all I can think about it how much I'm going to miss him. Just sat here crying for like 15 minutes after signing my accommodation contract because it's made me realise how real this all is and that he's not going to be there.

I know this sounds really stupid and clingy but he really is like my best friend as well as my boyfriend, we've been getting on better than ever recently and spent so much time together over summer, it's kind of making it worse because everything's so great with him. Just worried I'm gonna be all mopey for my first few weeks at uni instead of enjoying myself and making friends
    What's he doing?
    And I know it sounds rubbish but you just have to force yourself, really!

ReputationRep:
    Its sounds harsh. Emotional yet true, glad to come across this post.

(Original post by such_a_lady)
    What's he doing?
    And I know it sounds rubbish but you just have to force yourself, really!
    He's staying at college to do a third year, then he's looking to go to uni in London or Wolverhampton (:

Yeahh that's what I'm doing, just wish he could come with me really

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.