Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so even if we can't have proper conversations will try and send little texts to let her know I'm thinking of her, hope that is enough! Haha good luck with the moving in! Also I don't mean to pry, will you be visiting each other? As I keep hearing how intense it is but sure I can spare some time!
    Which are you, ox or bridge? Yep, I'm planning to go over Friday evening and come back Saturday morning, and hopefully he'll visit after matriculation the Saturday after. how far away is she?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by such_a_lady)
    Which are you, ox or bridge? Yep, I'm planning to go over Friday evening and come back Saturday morning, and hopefully he'll visit after matriculation the Saturday after. how far away is she?

Ox I remember reading you are too! Oh okay so quite regularly then! Well she's about 2-3 hours by train which isn't so bad, but as it is very expensive can't do it regularly...

ReputationRep:
    Ox I remember reading you are too! Oh okay so quite regularly then! Well she's about 2-3 hours by train which isn't so bad, but as it is very expensive can't do it regularly...
    Yeah we're aware it can't always be like that but it's only about two hours away with walking and train and bus and more walking (train 50 mins, bus 30 mins) so we've said at LEAST every three weeks. Warwick, yay what course/college are you? Are you already on our thread and just hiding right now?

ReputationRep:
    skype is such a beautiful invention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    In all honesty you need to talk to him about it, every relationship is different and some people need to skype or talk on the phone everyday and others don't it all depends on what works for each couple. My OH and me have a skype 'date' every week where we dedicate a few hours to chatting on skype to each other but the rest of the time we text when we can. It may be he is busy and you need to put your foot down and ask him to make time for you, it may be that it's his coping mechanism. I know someone on here said their bf was distant but it was only because he was finding the LD tough himself and to cope with missing her he only spoke to her a few times a week. LDRs are hard and effort is required from both sides to make it work... but i think its definitely worth talking to him before throwing a relationship away.
    Thanks for your input. I did talk to him and I don't think we're going to be together anymore. I'm still waiting for him to finish work to finish our conversation but he's simply too busy with work to converse much let alone even skype. I also don't think I can cope with only seeing my boyfriend for 1 or 2 months each year for 3 years. It's definitely upset me it had to go this way but I'm just glad we're not ending on bad terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumi)
    Thanks for your input. I did talk to him and I don't think we're going to be together anymore. I'm still waiting for him to finish work to finish our conversation but he's simply too busy with work to converse much let alone even skype. I also don't think I can cope with only seeing my boyfriend for 1 or 2 months each year for 3 years. It's definitely upset me it had to go this way but I'm just glad we're not ending on bad terms.
    :hugs::hugs: Really sorry to hear that but at least like you said its ending on good terms. I do think work is a poor excuse not to communicate as a text takes a few seconds during breaks etc. When i'm on placement i'm out at 6 and not back in sometimes till 9 and i still find the time.

ReputationRep:
    Only 5 more sleeps til I see my boy :dance:

Boyfriend is at freshers... getting drunk every night, meeting new people, i'm at home and not at university this year. All I can think about is what he is up to and how drunk he may be... I trust him completely but I cant help the niggling feeling purely because it's a new feeling that i'm not there :/.
    Eugh... I feel a bit crappy! Can't drag myself out of this hole of self pity :L

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I feel like a bit of an imposter posting in here :blushing:

My boyfriend and I aren't in a massive long-distance relationship (he lives 20 miles away) but he works shifts and so seeing him isn't always predictable and when he's on nights I can't really see him.

I miss him insane amounts and that's why I'm here really as I thought talking to people might help with that! Got to be more productive than sitting round feeling sorry for myself anyway?

We've only been together a couple of months but things have been so intense and he is an amazing man... I've never felt this strongly about somebody I have quite literally fallen head over heels.

Anyway... if you don't mind me venting here I'd quite like to from time to time

Gracie x

ReputationRep:
    Boyfriend is at freshers... getting drunk every night, meeting new people, i'm at home and not at university this year. All I can think about is what he is up to and how drunk he may be... I trust him completely but I cant help the niggling feeling purely because it's a new feeling that i'm not there :/.
    Eugh... I feel a bit crappy! Can't drag myself out of this hole of self pity :L
    I know this feeling 110%. I am feeling it right now! It's day 2 of my OH's freshers and I can't shake the worry. But I think you just have to remember that you've decided to give distance a go for a reason, and I'm sure when freshers dies down they'll realise how much they miss us! Having the self control not to constantly text him is difficult too, but my boyfriend has promised that he'll text me every night when he goes to sleep so that I know he's thinking of me and is ok - maybe that's something that might help?

Pm me if you need to chat, I understand completely. I just happen to be in a slightly positive place right now but give me an hour and I'm sure I'll be back to the worry and upset! Haha xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CupcakeFaerie)
    Only 5 more sleeps til I see my boy :dance:
    Same and he's here early on Friday :woo: Uber excited!

so i'm currently on my year abroad in russia with uni and i've been here a few weeks. it is great but of course i miss my boyfriend like crazy. my dilemma is that i'm going home for a few weeks at christmas and a couple of my friends were planning on coming back and going to st petersburg for new years. now i was really up for this because it should be beautiful and amazing, but then i realised it would be really really special if i spent new years with my boyfriend because we got together last new years so it would be a bit like our first anniversary. now i don't know what to do - any advice? what would you do? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    Same and he's here early on Friday :woo: Uber excited!
    Same here! his flight is due at 5.30 friday, I can't wait!! :banana:

A little help.

She's extremely in a bad state at the moment. Nothing to do with the relationship as far as I can tell. Just worried about the usual stuff in life. I don't know what kind of thing would be appropriate: I don't want to try and solve all her problems because that would just be superficial and she needs to deal with it herself. I don't know if I should keep bringing it up or ask her how she is because that will just remind her that she feels bad.

Currently I'm just making sure I'm there for her to talk to me if she wants somebody. Should I be doing something more than that, or would that make her resent me?

My four-week wait to see him didn't last :') he hasn't settled in well as uni, to the point where he was virtually hospitalised as the stress made his health problems so bad....I decided he needed a little bit of harsh love so had to travel four hours each way to tell him to man up (and comfort him too!).

He was in a right state, sobbing and shaking...though he does now realise that he'll be fine. He's 'rejected' a lot of friendships with girls since he'd been there cos he was worried about me being upset, so I've told him not to be silly, especially as one of them was lovely, and clearly besotted with her man.

Was horrible leaving him, he was properly crying and I'm so worried about him - although less than I was as he is a lot happier now!

Anything I can do to help him? Pretty sure he's got to do the rest on his own now, but I couldn't just abandon him for another two weeks knowing how upset he was.

ReputationRep:
    God I hate distance :sad: it's just so frustrating how earlier today I was completely happy (still at his house ) and now I'm back at mine all sad and fed up. Bleghhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    Next year I hopefully won't be in an LDR because my other half is hoping to start at the same uni as me next year! We'll hopefully be getting a flat together and because I'm hoping to do a masters here afterwards, we'll be here for the same amount of time (or I might be there one year longer than he will).

I'm so happy can't wait to see him Friday evening, we're spending the weekend together and he's cooking me cottage pie :love:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Spoke to a friend on facebook who was crying her eyes out because her boyfriend told her bluntly he couldn't be arsed with the long distance relationship no more and that he was shagging someone else, suppose he was honest but that poor girl.

(Original post by madders94)
    Next year I hopefully won't be in an LDR because my other half is hoping to start at the same uni as me next year! We'll hopefully be getting a flat together and because I'm hoping to do a masters here afterwards, we'll be here for the same amount of time (or I might be there one year longer than he will).

I'm so happy can't wait to see him Friday evening, we're spending the weekend together and he's cooking me cottage pie :love:
    Awesome!

Haha, I'm going home on Friday for the first time and I've requested shepherds pie to eat Friday night :love: BF is making me mine too!

Feeling so upset right now. Feels like my relationship is going to pieces

I have been with my bf for 1 year 8 months. I spent 10 months abroad, and we stayed together the whole time, even though it was difficult and we had our problems. Our goal has always been for me to move in with him after I finish this year of university. We are currently about 2 hours apart.

I got back from abroad 2 months ago, and around when I got back he told me that he'd been having doubts. He says that he's not sure if we want the same things, and is uncertain whether I will really be able to come and live with him and find a job in his area.

He also says that I don't fit into his interests or hobbies, and that he hates always having to choose between something he wants to do and me. As though it's some kind of chore to spend time with me, even though we always have a really nice time.

So yesterday we rowed because he'd promised to spend next weekend with me, but something had come up on both Sat and Sun that he really wanted to go to. So I said fine, another weekend then - but it turned out that the next weekend he has free is in 5 weeks time. So I was obviously not happy. Eventually he agreed to see me that weekend, but it just made me feel horrible for making him give up his time again.

The other thing that has recently thrown us off, is that he met this girl who he was chatting to a lot, and invited her on a date. I found out from someone else, and he admitted that he did like this girl but that they were no longer speaking because he had chosen me.

I'm feeling so upset about all this, because I feel like I'm losing him. For a year, he promised me that I was worth it and would do anything for me, and as soon as I'm home it's like I don't fit into his life anymore.

What do I do? We've tried talking about it, but we both get so upset, and he always says he doesn't want to talk about it. I feel like it's impossible to work through this when he won't talk to me. I have really been enjoying our time together, but I can't take anymore of this.

Any advice please? Desperate.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.