Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CupcakeFaerie)
    Could really use a hug right now...he broke up with me yesterday.
    If anyone would be willing to listen to me talk I could really use a friend right now.
    I'm so sorry to hear that, if you want to vent you can always PM me. Stay strong .

ReputationRep:
    If anyone would be willing to listen to me talk I could really use a friend right now.
    :hugs: I'm so sorry. We're all here for you xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just posting on here as I am in a LDR. Infact I have been for a while. We have been together about just over 5 years and for 3 of those years we have lived in the same area,even then my job involved working 6days a week. So didn't see each other that much.
    Trust is definitely important in a LDR. When I go to uni in Sept, we will still be living apart It is hard but we trust each other and are in love. I am 25 and he is older than me. LDR do not work for everybody but if you can gain trust amongst each other than it can work. Also I like to keep busy as I miss him alot and I think about him more if i'm twiddling my thumbs!
    Please say hi if you are in similiar situation

ReputationRep:
    Dancer.k. , I completely agree with you! Trust is vital in any relationship, and one where you don't see the other person regularly, you don't know what their doing or their friends... well, its tough, but most certainly do-able.

I was in a very similar situation at the start of my relationship, we lived not far apart, but still barely saw each other. Now hes in a different country Boo!!

I personally think being apart from each other has made my relationship stronger (strange as that sounds:P)... whereas my housemate has a tendancy to meet guys then for some reaons or another they end up moving in with us - they argue and never get time to develop themselves away from the other partner. In a LDR you have your own interests and friends, but then when you spend time together its more special. Or at least thats my experience. Its a coming together of minds, you can share your experiences and thoughts. (Although I would be very happy to live with him as soon as possible!!)

Saying that, I'm still quite, upset isn't really the right word, about only seeing my partner for a few hours over the christmas holidays, even though he was only 14 miles away most of the time!! Damn his work hours! And now everything is stressful and I need a cuddle D:

But still, we're finding time to speak most days, which is lovely. And I have his christmas present which I'm excited to give to him (didn't arive in the post by the time I saw him!), as well as planning out the brownies I want to bake for him. Little things keep you going...

We'll be celebrating 3 years next month. It really doesn't feel like that long! Still feels like we're in the honeymoon phase of dating sometimes!!

Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble. I'm venting a bit, I guess, and I know you guys will resonate with at least some of my incoherent mutterings :P!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigersgoraar)
    Dancer.k. , I completely agree with you! Trust is vital in any relationship, and one where you don't see the other person regularly, you don't know what their doing or their friends... well, its tough, but most certainly do-able.

I was in a very similar situation at the start of my relationship, we lived not far apart, but still barely saw each other. Now hes in a different country Boo!!

I personally think being apart from each other has made my relationship stronger (strange as that sounds:P)... whereas my housemate has a tendancy to meet guys then for some reaons or another they end up moving in with us - they argue and never get time to develop themselves away from the other partner. In a LDR you have your own interests and friends, but then when you spend time together its more special. Or at least thats my experience. Its a coming together of minds, you can share your experiences and thoughts. (Although I would be very happy to live with him as soon as possible!!)

Saying that, I'm still quite, upset isn't really the right word, about only seeing my partner for a few hours over the christmas holidays, even though he was only 14 miles away most of the time!! Damn his work hours! And now everything is stressful and I need a cuddle D:

But still, we're finding time to speak most days, which is lovely. And I have his christmas present which I'm excited to give to him (didn't arive in the post by the time I saw him!), as well as planning out the brownies I want to bake for him. Little things keep you going...

We'll be celebrating 3 years next month. It really doesn't feel like that long! Still feels like we're in the honeymoon phase of dating sometimes!!

Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble. I'm venting a bit, I guess, and I know you guys will resonate with at least some of my incoherent mutterings :P!!
    Aw I agree, little things keep you going I also think that being apart has made us stronger..absence makes the heart grow stronger. Some relationships have come and gone for others and theyve seen each other all the time,yet we keep on going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer.k.)
    Aw I agree, little things keep you going I also think that being apart has made us stronger..absence makes the heart grow stronger. Some relationships have come and gone for others and theyve seen each other all the time,yet we keep on going
    Exactly! Although I do get insanely jealous of my housemate sometimes, and wish I could spend the time with my boyfriend that she spends with hers!! Especially when everyone double-dates, or at parties or clubs when they get all couple-y, and I'm there on my lemon, trying to enjoy it! (Although, as he isn't one for staying out late when we go out, at least I get it all out of my system - I'm more of a stay-till-the-bouncers-kick-you-out kinda gal!)

... oh, I miss him.

ReputationRep:
    Would agree absence makes the heart grow fonder. The first year of my relationship we were always around each other, (we come from the same town and go to uni in the same city.) so we saw each other a lot and it was brilliant and amazing and i didn't know i how i would cope this year, we never argued and never annoyed each other.
    Now she's on her year abroad and it has made me us even stronger and there is no doubt in my mind that she is the best for me, she came back for two weeks over xmas and i fell in love all over again.

So all though at times they suck and all you want is a cuddle, if you can get through it makes you so much stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyfacedDom)
    Would agree absence makes the heart grow fonder. The first year of my relationship we were always around each other, (we come from the same town and go to uni in the same city.) so we saw each other a lot and it was brilliant and amazing and i didn't know i how i would cope this year, we never argued and never annoyed each other.
    Now she's on her year abroad and it has made me us even stronger and there is no doubt in my mind that she is the best for me, she came back for two weeks over xmas and i fell in love all over again.

So all though at times they suck and all you want is a cuddle, if you can get through it makes you so much stronger.
    I agree. All relationships can become 'same old same old' so it gives it some spark when you meet up again as it's something to look forward to and i always look forward to it and nothing else

Im not sure where to rant, so I will rant here...
    I'm back to the ldr routine after a Christmas off, and it's hard, if anything it's harder than it was before.. Like starting back at square one for me . Anyway, my boyfriend is busy with his friends and it's as though I've fallen down his priorities, which I don't expect to be at the top of ..but I do expect to be clued in on his life where he is. When I do express that I'm a bit disappointed about him not contacting etc, he usually says 'sorry' and feels guilty. Which isn't what I want him to feel.
    I don't want to bother him, because we argued the other night and I'm not brilliant at communicating my feelings without getting stupidly emotional.. But I just don't feel satisfied right now with the amount and way he speaks to me.
    We had such an amazing Christmas together, things were perfect, it's distance that is the annoyance!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Im not sure where to rant, so I will rant here...
    I'm back to the ldr routine after a Christmas off, and it's hard, if anything it's harder than it was before.. Like starting back at square one for me . Anyway, my boyfriend is busy with his friends and it's as though I've fallen down his priorities, which I don't expect to be at the top of ..but I do expect to be clued in on his life where he is. When I do express that I'm a bit disappointed about him not contacting etc, he usually says 'sorry' and feels guilty. Which isn't what I want him to feel.
    I don't want to bother him, because we argued the other night and I'm not brilliant at communicating my feelings without getting stupidly emotional.. But I just don't feel satisfied right now with the amount and way he speaks to me.
    We had such an amazing Christmas together, things were perfect, it's distance that is the annoyance!
    I may as well have written this myself. Things are exactly the same here, down to a T. I think we just need that bit of time to readjust to how things are and then we can get on with our lives! I got so used to having him around and suddenly he's not there and he's busy with his friends and work. We just need to be busy too! 'Luckily' I have two exams coming up, so that takes my mind of him pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm a little late but I hope you're ok! You helped me out when I was feeling horrible at the start of my ldr so feel free to message me if you need someone to chat to - although I can't promise to be full of amazing advice, but I'm pretty good at listening
    Sending lots of hugs your way! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PM me, my inbox is always open

Long timers - anyone find the second semester of uni so much harder than the first?

First semester I had reasons to go home every few weeks, the longest we were apart was just over a month. This semester I have 9 weeks until Easter and no real reasons in between them to pop home; and BF has no more time off to come see me either Not to mention that this semester is all go on my dissertation so I'm going to be at uni almost every day or something stupid. Feels like semester one flew by but semester 2 always drags!

ReputationRep:
    Long timers - anyone find the second semester of uni so much harder than the first?

First semester I had reasons to go home every few weeks, the longest we were apart was just over a month. This semester I have 9 weeks until Easter and no real reasons in between them to pop home; and BF has no more time off to come see me either Not to mention that this semester is all go on my dissertation so I'm going to be at uni almost every day or something stupid. Feels like semester one flew by but semester 2 always drags!
    surely he is a reason to pop home??

ReputationRep:
    Tip for anybody struggling with expensive train fares - Try booking the journey in fragments. Just got my return from London to Manchester down from £40 to £20 by booking from London to Stoke-on-trent, then Stoke-on-trent to Manchester.

Take care everybody xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyfacedDom)
    surely he is a reason to pop home??
    Badly phrased I think - in first semester I had two birthdays, a concert and our anniversary to go home for. Second semester I have nothing until April (when I'm on easter break anyway) My parents help with my train fares - which are £60+ - but are reluctant to do it if I'm just coming home for the hell of it.

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Badly phrased I think - in first semester I had two birthdays, a concert and our anniversary to go home for. Second semester I have nothing until April (when I'm on easter break anyway) My parents help with my train fares - which are £60+ - but are reluctant to do it if I'm just coming home for the hell of it.
    ah fair enough.

where are you travelling to/from? if you don't mind me asking. You could get a coach? or a megabus? also there are ways to get cheap rail fares if you know how to book them (my mate can always get me somewhere for half the price of the trainline.com).

Would your parents not be willing to help if you say you're really missing your bf and want to come home one time during the term to see him?

ReputationRep:
    Arggggghhh! so annoying ^^^ that was me.

Why is this thread auto anon? there doesn't seem to be any need if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    ah fair enough.

where are you travelling to/from? if you don't mind me asking. You could get a coach? or a megabus? also there are ways to get cheap rail fares if you know how to book them (my mate can always get me somewhere for half the price of the trainline.com).

Would your parents not be willing to help if you say you're really missing your bf and want to come home one time during the term to see him?
    Bangor to Milton Keynes, it's a 3 hour train journey at best. Bus is over 6 hours so I never bother with that! They probably would help but I don't like to ask!

I try to book as often in advance as I can but I can't just 'pop' home one weekend because I fancy it, mind you that's been a problem since we started going out

ReputationRep:
    Ok this feels pathetic but here goes. I shan't go into details. How do I get through the time till I see her properly. Some **** like study abroad 3 months http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.14.1...lies/frown.png http://talentkid.org/fs/images/pfu.gif Like I seriously feel I can't fully enjoy the study abroad. The thought process is I could be having the time of my life - wtf am I doing moments...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.