Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Just found out I'm going to be based in Reading for the next two years while my boyfriend will remain in Nottingham. I am absolutely devastated. I just have no idea of how to even tell him / what this means
    What are the circumstances out of interest? Relocation for a job? Did he think you were definitely staying in Nottingham? I'm sorry in any case. I know the feeling though as I'm going to be living a plane flight away from my boyfriend for the next three years

What are the circumstances out of interest? Relocation for a job? Did he think you were definitely staying in Nottingham? I'm sorry in any case. I know the feeling though as I'm going to be living a plane flight away from my boyfriend for the next three years
    He's going into his final year as a medic - i had got through to the final stage of a grad scheme that placed you in Nottingham or Reading. I got Reading and am committed there for at least two years

ReputationRep:
    He's going into his final year as a medic - i had got through to the final stage of a grad scheme that placed you in Nottingham or Reading. I got Reading and am committed there for at least two years
    I know it probably feels like the other side of the country, but I moved 2 hours away and it can work! You'll both be busy, but you should be able to find reasonably priced journeys to either place. LDRs can definitely work, as shown on this thread, so just try to think of the positives!

I find it helps to just remind myself that after these three years at university (now two!) we will have the rest of our lives to spend together. These years seem like a lot now, but at the end of the day, they are just a small time in comparison!

ReputationRep:
    I got back last night from an amazing week at my boyfriend's house, and the realisation of not seeing him for another 3 months due to him starting a new job has already driven me to eating a full bag of M+Ms..

Ah well, not too long in comparison to a lot of LDR couples

(Original post by IAmCookie)
    I got back last night from an amazing week at my boyfriend's house, and the realisation of not seeing him for another 3 months due to him starting a new job has already driven me to eating a full bag of M+Ms..

Ah well, not too long in comparison to a lot of LDR couples
    3 months is a long time though!! The longest I've gone with my boyfriend is 7 weeks so far. The worst is when you initially leave them and the first few days after returning home, you just get massive pangs of missing them and feeling sad.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the grad scheme! Seriously though, I would be happy. It's not ideal but it's not too far. It will take some adjusting being a different city but if you love the job then it'll be worth it. Given the grad job market there must be plenty of people in similar scenarios, and you'll be earning money to see them at weekends so all in all I think you should be more happy than sad

ReputationRep:
    Gonna see my boyfriend tomorrow for the first time in nearly a month! I really can't wait, especially after all the disappointments I've been having lately with other things in my life, it's just as well I get to see him a lot earlier now than I'd expected :woo:

Only 12 more hours now, but boy is all this waiting such a drag. Anyway, I'll just get in an overnight coach soon and then wake up in his city in the morning

ReputationRep:
    I'll get to see my boyfriend for the first time in just under a month on Sunday! He's been in Malaysia, so it's even harder than when I'm at uni... All we can do is email, as seeing as he's on the other side of the world I'm usually getting an email at 7 in the morning before I wake up! So not much chance in catching him for a chat! Not heard from him in a few days though

ReputationRep:
    My Girlfriend lives in Japan and I'm in Russia.

We keeping in touch as often as possible. But I have quite strong sense of anxiety.

Miss her so bad. We have to be far away for three month and it drives me nuts.

I guess I do something wrong tho ^^.

Just need to chill.

I'm wondering about starting a long distance relationship - he lives 5 hours away, though when I go back to boarding school, it will be a LOT further (9 hours, at least).
    We are both interested in each other, but I'm wary about going out with someone who is so far away, since we have never lived near each other (we met when he came on a school trip to where I was doing work exp).

ReputationRep:
    Heya. My boyfriend's going off to Uni next year and he'll be too far away for me to see on a regular basis. I can't really rely on him to answer my texts now, and I'm worried that when he goes away he'll forget about me. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Argh, you people in overseas relationships are making my 200 mile one seem kinda pitiful :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    Argh, you people in overseas relationships are making my 200 mile one seem kinda pitiful :P
    Haha, mine is 40 miles at the moment which is miniscule compared to some on here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 months is a long time though!! The longest I've gone with my boyfriend is 7 weeks so far. The worst is when you initially leave them and the first few days after returning home, you just get massive pangs of missing them and feeling sad.
    We've gone longer than 3 months before, but for the last year it's been slowly getting more regular, and suddenly we're back to how it used to be

Also, I go on holiday tomorrow and won't speak to him for a week, he's absolutely dreading it, especially as he starts his new job on Monday and will be nervous etc and I won't be there to reassure him :') I hope so much that he's okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    As one of the people in an overseas relationship, I'm telling you not to think of 200 miles as pitiful! I've done 100 miles before, and while it was nothing compared to the **** that is Canada-UK, it was still rough not being able to see my boyfriend whenever I wanted. We usually saw each other weekends, but sometimes there were 2 or 3 week gaps, which were hard. As much as I'd give pretty much anything to see my boyfriend as often as every 3 weeks again, it's still not the ideal scenario, and what you're doing is impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twiggyrose)
    Heya. My boyfriend's going off to Uni next year and he'll be too far away for me to see on a regular basis. I can't really rely on him to answer my texts now, and I'm worried that when he goes away he'll forget about me. Any advice?
    I hate to say this, but if he doesn't answer your texts while you live near to him and get to see him on a regular basis, there isn't really much hope for long distance. And LDR takes a boatload of commitment, and not answering texts is essentially him saying that he is non-committal.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice on my relationship with a girl in America. And I'm from the UK so there's a slight distance of 3700 miles between us

We love each other greatly, we talk on a daily basis without fail and we Skype regularly as well, she even intends to visit the UK 2 years from now (during my GAP year) to spend about 2 months with me, and we have even discussed what we would do from there, she has suggested marriage which pleases me immensely but at the same time, all this worries me because 2 years seems so far away and a lot can happen in that time.

I will be beginning my A-Levels and she will be beginning university, and Im worried we could drift apart if we aren't consistent, or if she ends up meeting a guy I will be forgotten (and vice versa) which upsets me because I really do love her and I would turn down girls I met here, but I'm unsure whether she would do the same for me...

In the mean time, every day I've spent since the last 2 years has included speaking to her in some way or another, but I know these days could be coming to an end this summer. Is there any tips/advice anyone can offer me to help keep in touch with her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canadamoose)
    I hate to say this, but if he doesn't answer your texts while you live near to him and get to see him on a regular basis, there isn't really much hope for long distance. And LDR takes a boatload of commitment, and not answering texts is essentially him saying that he is non-committal.
    I kinda disagree, my bf was really crappy at communication until he moved away. Now he understands this is all his relationship consists of whilst he's away. Its just a matter of working out what's best for both of you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another soon to be LDR'er here! Heading off to University in September and will be about a 3 hours car journey so 1h30 train probably. Been together for almost 10 months, and we are both committed to making it try long distance as we seem to be going as strong as we were when we first started dating! Any tips and advice on how to make these things work? I'm planning calling her most nights to see if everything is going fine and we will surely be visiting each other quite a lot, for those at university, your partners are allowed to come and stay with you for a while right?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I was curious about that too . I just signed my uni accommodation contract and it says guests are not allowed to stay over at night more than once a week . Is that really true ? Like are the supervisors actually gonna check ? :/ I hope nooooot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.