Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianStrikedown)
    Im sorry to take the subject away to what it is but i need advice.

Anyway im in my second year at college which will mean that i complete the course next june, I have a bf that is international and i told him i want to go to british uni, The thing is he says he cant go without me for 3 years and wants me to apply to an American Uni, Now the thing is i know that i wont get into American Uni tbh as i have to take a SAT etc. So he sugguested that we would go community college together, which would earn me a assitotes Degree (Cant spell) sorry

"In the United States and, more rarely, Canada, an associate degree is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college or university degree. It is the lowest in the hierarchy of postsecondary academic degrees offered in these countries. It is also equivalent to the UK's foundation degree"

Which is 2 years of course but couldnt i get a higher degree in the Uk if i went straight to uni from College?

Nowe i've been personally having problems with going to college etc due to depression etc, so would i be better off going to America and a community college for 2 years.

I know it sounds stupid doing a foundation dregree when i can get a BA? I havnt started to apply for british unis which i am going to in the next following months before the deadline.

Can someone please offer me advice?
    Weren't you the one who hasn't yet met their boyfriend...and when he was supposed to visit he didn't come?

It seems like an awful lot to hang on a relationship you don't even know will pan out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    Yeah, we all get this. My boyfriend went home 2 weeks ago after an awesome visit, and I wasn't too bad, but today it really hit me how much I miss him!! I only got to speak to him for 10 mins this morning, but he was so sweet, and it just makes me frustrated that I can't speak to him and be more involved in his life. Gah!
    We've been together now for 8 months, but I couldn't imagine my life without him. Looking like our LDR (well, 10 hour flight LDR down to a 1 hour train journey LDR!) will end in January though, so I'm just focusing on that!

OOHH I AM SO INSANELY JEALOUS!! How long have you been LDR-ing for? I've been with my boy for almost 6 months, he went to uni beginning October so I have only been LDR-ing for a month..

10 hour flighttt, how did that come about? International LDR?

About an hour after I posted, the boy calls and says he's left the party earlier and would rather talk to me

I love him :lovehug:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    Ah, it's annoying when you know you're being unreasonable! Like, you want him to have a good time, but it's not fair that it's not with you...
    Chin up love, it'll get better.
    Thankss I just want to keep him allll to myself. Hrmph I hate sharing. (Not that he's cheating, but the fact his uni friends get to see him more than I do is just UNFAIRRR) Its okay though cos he called me back an hour later having left the party early and talked to me instead

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)x)
    I would be mega-angry.
    I hate parties, especially house parties, especially HIS flat/house parties!

I know t's terrible but if my bf did something like this, I would sometimes lie saying I'm going out for a drink or something with a couple of girls and guys.

He doesn't care in the slightest, but it makes myself feel a little better LOL.

My bf and I haven't seen eachother in about 2 weeks so this weekend should be lovely. He's taking me shopping! And I've booked to stay in a posh hotel and on the london eye for new years eve as passrt of his XMAS present YAY
    LOL haha, I know what you mean but I don't get angry I just sit there and sulk for a bit. Of course he has no clue, I play supportive give-you-lots-of-space girlfriend... its very achieveable, but harddd!

I'm see my boy this weekend tooo It's his birthday and am very excited, ohhh I should wrap his present!

:O Amazing girlfriend you aree!! I'm so upset I'm going away at Christmas, with the family to see family.. It sounds ungrateful but the boy comes home from uni then and it just really sucks I won't be here to spend two straight weeks with him... Its would be our first Christmas/New Years as well.. Boooooo.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Getting jealous is silly, I don't go out nearly half as much as my girlfriend does at her uni. She probably goes out three times a week and I'll happily stay in most nights and get stuck into my work and just go out on a saturday! (After all thats what the real world is like!)

I see it that I'm being much more productive and saving a load of money in the process, where as all my g.fs got to show is a few drunken photos on facebook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
    I'm just about to enter what will probably end up as my first ever LDR with someone I met over the internet. I'm not sure how to go about posting, but here goes. If it gets a bit... long, I apologise, I just want to try and make sense of things.

Basically we met nearly 5 months ago over an internet gaming clan and just over this past few weeks we've become very close. Not something either of us had been working towards, it just sort of happened. We went from talking about games *duh* to more personal things in a very short space of time and we quickly got to the point where I suppose we're almost in a LDR. He's from the Netherlands and I'm English, so we're a way apart. Both starting uni so we're not exactly full of time.

We've decided that we're going to meet for the first time at the end of October, he'll be coming to my uni flat and staying with me for 3 nights. Im sort of nervous but excited about this. I know that him coming to my uni flat/room for our first meeting isnt exactly ideal, but it's that or make him stay in a hotel somewhere where he knows no one as he's never been to the UK before. We really really like each other, we talk to each other for hours and hours every day over skype and he's one of the only people that can always bring a smile to my face; whether I'm happy or sad. He's a couple of years older than me (he's 20, I'm 18) but I think that we're both very well suited to each other.

I've really fallen for him: his personality, his cheeky smile when he's up to something when we're on skype/webcams, the fact that he always makes me giggle. I've never really met anyone before that makes me feel like he does. I've been in a relationship with someone before, but lets just say it wasnt the best. But he makes me feel so cared for and looked after all the time, even though we're apart. I really want to make something of what we have, even though it may only be in the internet relationship stage, we want to take it further than that.

Basically, I just want to know how I should approach the run up to the 30th October when he comes over here. I'm a little worried about what will happen when I go to get him from the airport and fetch him back to mine on the train etc. What should you do on your first meeting etc. Its nothing like what happened when I got with my ex.. its something completely different, like I'm throwing myself in at the deep end or something. Also, what do I do with the parents? I dont know how I should go about telling them that I'm going to meet someone that I met over the internet that I've completely fallen for. There's a lot of things about this that I'm not so sure how to deal with so any advice about how to go about things would be greatly appreciated. The only thing that's completely certain in my head is that I have to meet him, because he means so damned much to me right now. Its so.. confusing..
    I haven't posted in here since this post, but I'd like to give an update. We met each other for the first time, on the 30th as planned and I can happily say that the meeting couldn't have gone better. I was a little nervous going to the airport to get him, but as soon as I saw him standing outside, freezing cold (I did tell him to stay inside and I'd get him...men) all that went away. Our first cuddle was amazing, I practically melted into his arms. It wasn't scary, no awkward moments (well, unless you count the fact that we nearly kissed in the car with my mum and dad there when we realised that they'd probably think it was weird!) and we were like best friends. He was a lot taller than I was expecting though! A good foot taller than me, which is quite funny to see.

We had the best of times together. We knew everything about each other that we could think of and as such, our meeting was a lot easier than we were both expecting. This last weekend was one of the best I've ever had. I felt so close to him, so loved. Taking him back to the airport on sunday killed me, having to turn away and say goodbye just tore me apart. Its hard to believe that I met him through a gaming clan, he added me to a messenger just for the hell of it and now we're together... It's like we've known each other forever.

Being apart from him feels so weird, my room so empty. I miss his presence here, walking in after getting something from the kitchen and seeing that big smile on his face. Even his more... rude habits like farting in my room and gassing me out. I miss it all. Its so hard being apart for the first time... I wish it wasn't so difficult to deal with. We haven't got long to wait before I get to see him again, about an hour after he got home he booked two more sets of flights, one for the end of this month, and one from 27th December over new years. It may only be a few weeks, but it is so hard to deal with. I'm trying to keep myself busy and keep my mind off it, but sometimes it just hits home that my beautiful boy is out of my grasp. I can't just give him a hug when I feel down. I cant snuggle up to him when I'm tired. I feel... incomplete, and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

To those of you thinking of doing what I've done, It is worth it. No matter how hard. If that person you meet is as fantastic as my boy, you'll know it is worth all the hardship, all the tears. The happiness you get when you're together is completely amazing.

*sniffles*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whostosay)
    OOHH I AM SO INSANELY JEALOUS!! How long have you been LDR-ing for? I've been with my boy for almost 6 months, he went to uni beginning October so I have only been LDR-ing for a month..

10 hour flighttt, how did that come about? International LDR?

About an hour after I posted, the boy calls and says he's left the party earlier and would rather talk to me

I love him :lovehug:

xxx
    We have only been in an LDR for like 4 months, but it feels like its been aaaaggeeeess. I was at uni in Wales and met him there, but moved to Canada after uni cos my parents live there, and I needed to move back in with them financially really.
    Ever since he left after his visit he's been so nice and sweet, and just knows all the right things to say to make me miss him like crazy. I used to hate all cutesy cutesy couples who couldn't go a day without speaking to each other, but now I think we're turning into one of them. Puke inducing (but I love it really!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Hey!
    Im in a LDR, only since he went to uni in September and I hate it! It's horrible, I cant believe how hard it is coping and he's changed so much since he went but well.. I guess we have to put up with it. Weve been together a year and 7 months nearly and I think he see's it as serious. But just lately he's been so off with me, which he puts down to uni work and being stressed.

Anyway.. What I came to say was.. My sister (whos 25 now) used to go to school with a girl who started going out with a boy in year 11/12 and they went to completly different uni's and stayed together.. and now my sister has just been to their wedding; wike what 7 years down the line?
    So..that gave me some hope, that if your serious about it, it can work.

I just hate this whole LDR, i wish relationships were simple and LDR's didn't exist.

Thanks guys. I hate the LDR thing too but I know it's worth it, well I mean I'd rather be with him in an LDR and probably still be together after it all, then give up because of the distance. I we make it until after uni it would be 5 years for us, and then we would live together and move on. We have been talking about all that and it reassures me that he's thinking like me, but it just seems so far away, and at the same time I feel like its making me resent uni etc, even though I decided to come here, when I'm here I spend more time counting the days until I see him or when I'm going home (which I haven't been since I got here, but will go for a week(!) in 2 weeks!) Although I'm acting like this I'm getting pretty good grades since I got here (only A's!). Anyway I'm hoping for all of us that whatever we wish for will come true, and that patience is the biggest virtue.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
    I haven't posted in here since this post, but I'd like to give an update. We met each other for the first time, on the 30th as planned and I can happily say that the meeting couldn't have gone better. I was a little nervous going to the airport to get him, but as soon as I saw him standing outside, freezing cold (I did tell him to stay inside and I'd get him...men) all that went away. Our first cuddle was amazing, I practically melted into his arms. It wasn't scary, no awkward moments (well, unless you count the fact that we nearly kissed in the car with my mum and dad there when we realised that they'd probably think it was weird!) and we were like best friends. He was a lot taller than I was expecting though! A good foot taller than me, which is quite funny to see.

We had the best of times together. We knew everything about each other that we could think of and as such, our meeting was a lot easier than we were both expecting. This last weekend was one of the best I've ever had. I felt so close to him, so loved. Taking him back to the airport on sunday killed me, having to turn away and say goodbye just tore me apart. Its hard to believe that I met him through a gaming clan, he added me to a messenger just for the hell of it and now we're together... It's like we've known each other forever.

Being apart from him feels so weird, my room so empty. I miss his presence here, walking in after getting something from the kitchen and seeing that big smile on his face. Even his more... rude habits like farting in my room and gassing me out. I miss it all. Its so hard being apart for the first time... I wish it wasn't so difficult to deal with. We haven't got long to wait before I get to see him again, about an hour after he got home he booked two more sets of flights, one for the end of this month, and one from 27th December over new years. It may only be a few weeks, but it is so hard to deal with. I'm trying to keep myself busy and keep my mind off it, but sometimes it just hits home that my beautiful boy is out of my grasp. I can't just give him a hug when I feel down. I cant snuggle up to him when I'm tired. I feel... incomplete, and I'm not sure how to deal with it.

To those of you thinking of doing what I've done, It is worth it. No matter how hard. If that person you meet is as fantastic as my boy, you'll know it is worth all the hardship, all the tears. The happiness you get when you're together is completely amazing.

*sniffles*
    Your story is so much like mine and your latest post takes me right back to that crazy flight to Paris to meet a random guy off the web. Now we live together and have been together nearly 4 years! It can happen, folks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocky Raccoon)
    Thanks guys. I hate the LDR thing too but I know it's worth it, well I mean I'd rather be with him in an LDR and probably still be together after it all, then give up because of the distance. I we make it until after uni it would be 5 years for us, and then we would live together and move on. We have been talking about all that and it reassures me that he's thinking like me, but it just seems so far away, and at the same time I feel like its making me resent uni etc, even though I decided to come here, when I'm here I spend more time counting the days until I see him or when I'm going home (which I haven't been since I got here, but will go for a week(!) in 2 weeks!) Although I'm acting like this I'm getting pretty good grades since I got here (only A's!). Anyway I'm hoping for all of us that whatever we wish for will come true, and that patience is the biggest virtue.:yep:
    Ahhhh, I just wanted to say that all thats exactly the same as me
    it will be 5 years for us after uni & we've both spoken about living together & starting a proper life together as soon as it's over it feels so good to know we both feel exactly the same about things!
    I really can't wait until all this is over & we can be properly together but I know I need to just enjoy the uni life too

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because it's great to think about the future, but I feel like it's making me miss out on the uni life, not that I'm regretting any choices I've so far since I'm here (right now all my flatmates are getting ready to go out, but I never go, I hate clubbing and spending unnecessary money on those kind of nights out), but the 2 or so years will go by so fast (although it won't feel like it when we're going through them) but I mean end of term is already in like 40 days Yeah the thing that really helps, and that will make it work is that both partners feel the same about main issues, thats what makes me feel really good. Last time he was there we even started talking about kids, not explicitly saying "when we have a family, we will have 3 kids etc" but still we knew what this was about
    Anyway, waiting for him to come back from training so he can call me. And while I'm waiting I'm not getting very far with work at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocky Raccoon)
    Yeah, because it's great to think about the future, but I feel like it's making me miss out on the uni life, not that I'm regretting any choices I've so far since I'm here (right now all my flatmates are getting ready to go out, but I never go, I hate clubbing and spending unnecessary money on those kind of nights out), but the 2 or so years will go by so fast (although it won't feel like it when we're going through them) but I mean end of term is already in like 40 days Yeah the thing that really helps, and that will make it work is that both partners feel the same about main issues, thats what makes me feel really good. Last time he was there we even started talking about kids, not explicitly saying "when we have a family, we will have 3 kids etc" but still we knew what this was about
    Anyway, waiting for him to come back from training so he can call me. And while I'm waiting I'm not getting very far with work at all.
    I know it feels like christmas hols are sooo close, I can't wait
    I'm just forever looking forward to the next time I'm going to see him!
    But it's soooo lovely when we get to be together

ReputationRep:
    I just saw him yesterday for the first time in 2 months. I'd forgotton what butterflies felt like.

I remember starting to talk to a guy online...We got in contact because we were interested in the same things, he was also the brother of a DJ from a band I used to obsess over! Starting talking to him over msn, it was all just nice normal friend talk..until after 2 months I got the feeling that he liked me..and I liked him. So one day..I was arguing with him late at night..and then he went all weird. He just came out with it. He told me he loved me and that he wanted to marry me and be with me. And I told him I wanted to be with him aswell. We spoke untill 5am. (we used to speak for like 12 hours a day). 6 months later, he flew all the way from denmark to london to come and see me and i had the most amazing time with him...and then another year past and he came to visit me again (earlier this year).
    Its hard this long distance thing..but sometimes i think i wouldnt want it any other way..it makes me appreciate his love more and its given me time to actually get to know him and talk to him.

Weve been together for nearly 2 years now (in january) and im so happy with him. we speak everyday (for the past 2 years we have spoken at least 1 word to each other everyday) and he helps me with everything..

I cant imagine my life with out him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I remember starting to talk to a guy online...We got in contact because we were interested in the same things, he was also the brother of a DJ from a band I used to obsess over! Starting talking to him over msn, it was all just nice normal friend talk..until after 2 months I got the feeling that he liked me..and I liked him. So one day..I was arguing with him late at night..and then he went all weird. He just came out with it. He told me he loved me and that he wanted to marry me and be with me. And I told him I wanted to be with him aswell. We spoke untill 5am. (we used to speak for like 12 hours a day). 6 months later, he flew all the way from denmark to london to come and see me and i had the most amazing time with him...and then another year past and he came to visit me again (earlier this year).
    Its hard this long distance thing..but sometimes i think i wouldnt want it any other way..it makes me appreciate his love more and its given me time to actually get to know him and talk to him.

Weve been together for nearly 2 years now (in january) and im so happy with him. we speak everyday (for the past 2 years we have spoken at least 1 word to each other everyday) and he helps me with everything..

I cant imagine my life with out him!
    I adore stories like yours, love is a beautiful thing! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to ignore this.. just need to get some things out of my mind, otherwise they just keep buzzing around. [don't worry if it doesn't make sense :p: ]

Basically been going out with my boyfriend for almost 11 months, got together in boarding school, so were together every day etc. Managed through holidays and stuff [we live 5 hours apart by train], but now he's at uni [3 and a half hours away] it just seems like a much more real LDR, if that makes sense.
    I'm on a gap year and am working at the moment, so it's relatively easy for me to go and see him [my parents are being incredibly generous and are paying for my train], but I go travelling in January and I don't know whether he's going to be willing to try to keep it going.

Being the pessimist I am I was picturing us already having broken up, before he went off to uni etc. The funny thing is, although we haven't been together for as long, I feel a much stronger connection with him than I did with my ex, [who I also had an ldr with] and in terms of the future I can see us being together in the long-term. But I know that's not what he wants [I'm his first girlfriend] and I know it's probably not what's going to happen, but it seems like it's more likely to happen with him.. especially considering we've almost broken up a couple of times and managed to work through it. Like when I go travelling, I would love for us to try and make it work, but at the same time I'm conscious that I am his first girlfriend, and I don't want to 'tie him down' as it were..

But argh, the LDR thing, what gets me most is we had like 6 months of being together properly, and we're most likely never going to have that again, it's ALWAYS going to be a couple of days here and there, and I actually find it really hard, not being able to like 'settle' with him, like I arrive and then have to leave.. sighh..
    And I am a naturally jealous person, and although he's assured me [when we had one of our almost-break-ups] that even if we did split, he wouldn't be looking for another girlfriend or anything, I still can't help wondering what if.. and I guess it doesn't really help that I haven't met any of his female friends :rolleyes: but at the end of the day I know he's a good guy, and he wouldn't do it, jsut can't help wondering...

I just miss him a lot, you know when you jsut have random days of really missing them, and that day'll just happen to be when they're busy/out/partying/etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    Feel free to ignore this.. just need to get some things out of my mind, otherwise they just keep buzzing around. [don't worry if it doesn't make sense :p: ]

Basically been going out with my boyfriend for almost 11 months, got together in boarding school, so were together every day etc. Managed through holidays and stuff [we live 5 hours apart by train], but now he's at uni [3 and a half hours away] it just seems like a much more real LDR, if that makes sense.
    I'm on a gap year and am working at the moment, so it's relatively easy for me to go and see him [my parents are being incredibly generous and are paying for my train], but I go travelling in January and I don't know whether he's going to be willing to try to keep it going.

Being the pessimist I am I was picturing us already having broken up, before he went off to uni etc. The funny thing is, although we haven't been together for as long, I feel a much stronger connection with him than I did with my ex, [who I also had an ldr with] and in terms of the future I can see us being together in the long-term. But I know that's not what he wants [I'm his first girlfriend] and I know it's probably not what's going to happen, but it seems like it's more likely to happen with him.. especially considering we've almost broken up a couple of times and managed to work through it. Like when I go travelling, I would love for us to try and make it work, but at the same time I'm conscious that I am his first girlfriend, and I don't want to 'tie him down' as it were..

But argh, the LDR thing, what gets me most is we had like 6 months of being together properly, and we're most likely never going to have that again, it's ALWAYS going to be a couple of days here and there, and I actually find it really hard, not being able to like 'settle' with him, like I arrive and then have to leave.. sighh..
    And I am a naturally jealous person, and although he's assured me [when we had one of our almost-break-ups] that even if we did split, he wouldn't be looking for another girlfriend or anything, I still can't help wondering what if.. and I guess it doesn't really help that I haven't met any of his female friends :rolleyes: but at the end of the day I know he's a good guy, and he wouldn't do it, jsut can't help wondering...

I just miss him a lot, you know when you jsut have random days of really missing them, and that day'll just happen to be when they're busy/out/partying/etc..
    You need to talk to him about the travelling, just speak about how often you'll be able to speak etc so that he has some idea. it can work, when people are travelling/living abroad etc. as for the bolded thing, there has to be an end to your LDR that you can see however far away that is... i know its hard but even if its a small light at the end of the tunnel its something. my bf is currently in spain and then we're both off to uni and it will be 5 years LDR (minus the summers) but at the end of all this if we get through it then we'll be able to move in together etc. its that image that keeps me going. also being able to see them even if it is for a short time, its something.

ReputationRep:
    im new to this whole tsr thing, so i dont know how to join/subsrcribe or whatever, but im in an LDR and i like it :]

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? I'm off to uni next year and I'm preparing myself for the worst. So scared about having an LDR. I really don't want to leave him behind, but there's no way around it if I want to pursue my dream job. I guess I'm just wondering if it's as difficult as I'm imagining it's going to be? Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    i will make u appricate the small things, like holding his hand, seeing him smile and been able to kiss him x thats what i have found

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.