Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    :rofl: sorry the last bit made me laugh.
    I aim to please

ReputationRep:
    why are there so many Light Dependant Resistors in here?

Joking aside..... what do you actually mean by long distance relationships. Is it someone you haven't met, but lives far away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)

Joking aside..... what do you actually mean by long distance relationships. Is it someone you haven't met, but lives far away?
    A lot of people (everyone from the soc as far as I know) have met their other half, just they live far enough away that they can't see them as often as they'd like. Some ranging from ~100 miles apart to opposite sides of the world, each one unique :yes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

It Varies. My case = me and my boyfriend went out for a year and 5 months then he moved to uni this September so I went from seeing him nearly every day to now maybe twice a month for only a weekend because im a year younger than him.

Some on here haven't met their partners, some live far enough away from theirs to only see them once a year.

It depends, we all have our stories

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm feeling a bit down today
    My bf rang me this morning and we had a bit of a chat, but I'm left feeling a bit hollow... He doesn't particularly like showing emotion or talking about his feelings, so when I say I miss him or whatever, he generally responds with a joke or by changing the subject. I know he loves me, but sometimes it makes me feel like he doesn't care.
    I could talk to him about it (and I have done in the past), but it only makes him uncomfortable and it makes me look clingy.

I don't really miss talking to him, as we talk every day, I just really miss being with him.

I was re-reading some old emails from when I went on holiday (before we were in an LDR) and he was so sweet and he wrote about how much he was missing/loving me. Now I just feel like he can't be bothered anymore.

I hate this, I really do. Choosing to go to a different university has twisted what we have, and I want the old 'us' back. I really miss him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    Hey guys,
    My bf rang me this morning and we had a bit of a chat, but I'm left feeling a bit hollow... He doesn't particularly like showing emotion or talking about his feelings, so when I say I miss him or whatever, he generally responds with a joke or by changing the subject. I know he loves me, but sometimes it makes me feel like he doesn't care.
    I could talk to him about it (and I have done in the past), but it only makes him uncomfortable and it makes me look clingy.

I don't really miss talking to him, as we talk every day, I just really miss being with him.

I was re-reading some old emails from when I went on holiday (before we were in an LDR) and he was so sweet and he wrote about how much he was missing/loving me. Now I just feel like he can't be bothered anymore.

I hate this, I really do. Choosing to go to a different university has twisted what we have, and I want the old 'us' back. I really miss him.
    i'm kinda like this too.... i live in london and my gf lives in Sunderland. Doind As and she's doing GCSE yr 11.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hey guys,

Hey, no worries, your not alone. This sounds like an exact description of my boyfriend. try talking to him about it.. it got the stage where it was making me ill so I had to talk to my boyfriend about it.

Boys just genreally don't show emotion to be honest, it would be a much easier time if they did. Time and time again i've cried and wished my boyfriend would tell me he misses me etc. I mean he does but not.. you know, how he used to etc.

Just don't worry, if your boyfriends just gone to uni he's probs just finding his feet.

If you need to chat PM me or something, you sound alot like me and your not alone.

ReputationRep:
    I also want the old 'us' back And was also rereading emails he sent me for new years etc last year and other stuff when I was in New York for a month, and he just said the perfect things, now we're apart for a longer period (although we see each other more than once a month) and it's not that he can't be bothered, he does send me things and sweet messages etc, but well I dunno I guess I'm maybe too demanding. In any case haven't heard him say he misses me for a while, even though I know he does. (end of story... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Hey, no worries, your not alone. This sounds like an exact description of my boyfriend. try talking to him about it.. it got the stage where it was making me ill so I had to talk to my boyfriend about it.

Boys just genreally don't show emotion to be honest, it would be a much easier time if they did. Time and time again i've cried and wished my boyfriend would tell me he misses me etc. I mean he does but not.. you know, how he used to etc.

Just don't worry, if your boyfriends just gone to uni he's probs just finding his feet.

If you need to chat PM me or something, you sound alot like me and your not alone.
    :nah: well not me anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocky Raccoon)
    I also want the old 'us' back And was also rereading emails he sent me for new years etc last year and other stuff when I was in New York for a month, and he just said the perfect things, now we're apart for a longer period (although we see each other more than once a month) and it's not that he can't be bothered, he does send me things and sweet messages etc, but well I dunno I guess I'm maybe too demanding. In any case haven't heard him say he misses me for a while, even though I know he does. (end of story... )
    Yeah, it sucks
    It's good we've got somewhere like this though, to talk about it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :nah: well not me anyways
    You boys = annoying species:rolleyes: :eek:

ReputationRep:

I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one here! Both times I have left my boyf I have gone right off my food, been sick, cant sleep, and just generally feel awful. The first time I thought it was just stress and jet lag, but the second time was even worse. It's so weird, cos although I do miss him, I know that we'll be ok and 3 months isn't *that* long, but my body doesn't seem to agree with my head. I thought I had something seriously wrong with me for a while!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by djk_99)
    I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one here! Both times I have left my boyf I have gone right off my food, been sick, cant sleep, and just generally feel awful. The first time I thought it was just stress and jet lag, but the second time was even worse. It's so weird, cos although I do miss him, I know that we'll be ok and 3 months isn't *that* long, but my body doesn't seem to agree with my head. I thought I had something seriously wrong with me for a while!!
    Hey! Oh god no your not the only one!
    I keep feeling sick, and just genreally not eating when I leave him, it's horrible.

3 months seems a long time, but it passes. Will you not see him for christmas? Some people say it's gets easier each time you say bye but to me it doesn't. It seems to get harder.

ReputationRep:
    Well the two first times I saw him and when I had to get back home, I was shattered and well I suppose, adjusting still and homesick so it was very hard. This time when he left after being with me for a week , and I was sooo sad on that evening, but funnily enough the rest of the days (until today, cuz he's coming tomorrow!!) were ok, it's the first time I've gone through this long a period without 'collapsing', although I do feel low at times but not in a way that makes me seem depressed, so I guess it does get better with time....

ReputationRep:
    On the things changing and your other half not saying they miss you as much front, don't worry too much. Relationships just change and evolve, maybe they don't say it every other day, doesn't mean they don't feel it - think about couples who have been together for years, married for years even, they don't need to say such things because they don't stop being true.

ReputationRep:

I met my boyfriend on the internet... we weren't official until we had met properly though we both knew exactly where it was heading heh

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Oh god no your not the only one!
    I keep feeling sick, and just genreally not eating when I leave him, it's horrible.

3 months seems a long time, but it passes. Will you not see him for christmas? Some people say it's gets easier each time you say bye but to me it doesn't. It seems to get harder.
    It just seems a little OTT to get physically ill from missing someone, but it's not like I do it on purpose!
    I won't see him for Xmas (I'm in Canada, he's in Wales!), but I'm coming back to the UK late Jan, so we'll be in an hour LDR instead of an 11 hr plane journey!
    And yes, I agree that it seems to get harder each time. I think it's more to do with the fact that every time I see him I realise again (and even more!) how much he means to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing my man tomorrow, and I really really really can't wait. we've been going through a bit of a tough patch, and he isn't very good at talking on the phone or on Skype- he's not particularly at ease with it. So he always seems a bit 'off' with me, which I'm hoping is just because it's weird just talking all the time on Skype. I really need to see him and have a hug and a kiss, and hear him say he loves me because I'm in real need of reassurance at the mo.
    I told him today that I would really like it if he could remember to tell me he loves me sometimes, so we'll see how that goes.
    I feel so lost at the moment. This 'rocky patch' has been really tough and I wish we could be physically together more often because I think it would give us the reassurance we both need.
    I'm feeling a bit s*** today, really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing my man tomorrow, and I really really really can't wait. we've been going through a bit of a tough patch, and he isn't very good at talking on the phone or on Skype- he's not particularly at ease with it. So he always seems a bit 'off' with me, which I'm hoping is just because it's weird just talking all the time on Skype. I really need to see him and have a hug and a kiss, and hear him say he loves me because I'm in real need of reassurance at the mo.
    I told him today that I would really like it if he could remember to tell me he loves me sometimes, so we'll see how that goes.
    I feel so lost at the moment. This 'rocky patch' has been really tough and I wish we could be physically together more often because I think it would give us the reassurance we both need.
    I'm feeling a bit s*** today, really.
    :hugs::hugs:

i think once you guys see each other tomorrow and can talk about things face to face you'll feel better. the trouble is with skype etc is its easy to misinterpret what someone has said or the way it was meant. i think thats one of the difficulties of LDRs that when you have a rocky patch you cant just meet up and kiss and make up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    :hugs::hugs:

i think once you guys see each other tomorrow and can talk about things face to face you'll feel better. the trouble is with skype etc is its easy to misinterpret what someone has said or the way it was meant. i think thats one of the difficulties of LDRs that when you have a rocky patch you cant just meet up and kiss and make up.
    That's so true. We never had a rocky patch before we both went to uni, and now I just feel awful almost all of the time, because I just really need to be with him.

I just get so scared sometimes that he's losing interest or something, but I think it's really that he's not very good at talking like that.

I thought going to Leeds would be best because it would be the best place for my degree, but I didn't really consider if it would be the best place for me. He's at Southampton and we've had a bit of a tough time lately but it doesn't seem to have affected him at all. I am putting so much effort into being happy at the moment, and into keeping him happy but I'm so frightened of doing this for 3 years... I really want to be with him forever, and he's totally worth it, but I'm scared that he's just going to decide it's too hard

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.