Turn on thread page Beta

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crankine)
    We see each other almost every day at school and have no idea how to cope without that, and without getting a massive phone bill!
    My bf and i are both on O2, i only pay £15 a month and i get unlimited free O2 to O2 calls! its great, we talk on the phone for at least an hour every day, pluss i get 400 texts and 200 minutes on top of that. its like a sim only monthly tariff if your interested!

sorry thats the only part i could help with!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    we're not getting married yet, when it gets nearer then i will.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should tell your friends/family after you see him and he does it in person. that way they'll be less inclined to see the engagement as a bit of a joke. if you're happy with it then thats all that matters and you should ignore any comments from friends/family about it although i know thats difficult and i assume this is why you have chosen no to say anything.

is there going to be a point when one of you will move... otherwise i think its a prolonged engagement and without sounding too harsh a bit pointles. i have a friend whos got engaged (her partner lives in america) and they plan to get married in 2011. is there a rough guideline i.e 4 years etc because that will also make it easier to explain to parents/friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianStrikedown)
    we're not getting married yet, when it gets nearer then i will.
    So why get engaged? This is a critique of early engagements btw, not LDRs (hell, I'm in the early stages of one!), but why get engaged if you don't know when you're going to get married? To me, that's the point of 'popping the question', the fact you're going to get married and both of you know when. I think if you are serious about this, you NEED to tell your parents and close friends. Otherwise, you're just picking an arbitrary time when (it appears to me) you feel like you've built up enough confidence in the relationship to tell them. I mean, when will that time be? A year before the marriage? Six months? I'm all for people being committed to their partner, but getting ENGAGED means more than being in a committed relationship.

My two cents...

ReputationRep:
    Just to say hey, I'm a LDR fresher. I've loved the boy in question for over 2 years and he finally asked me out last week. Only problem is he lives 3 hours away seeing as I went to Exeter University and he's at Birmingham University.
    But we want to make it work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whostosay)
    My bf and i are both on O2, i only pay £15 a month and i get unlimited free O2 to O2 calls! its great, we talk on the phone for at least an hour every day, pluss i get 400 texts and 200 minutes on top of that. its like a sim only monthly tariff if your interested!

sorry thats the only part i could help with!

xxx
    ooh.... I'm so not that smart!
    I will actually look into that, its genius... at the moment I use the free local house phone calls but obv I won't have that
    So thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    So why get engaged? This is a critique of early engagements btw, not LDRs (hell, I'm in the early stages of one!), but why get engaged if you don't know when you're going to get married? To me, that's the point of 'popping the question', the fact you're going to get married and both of you know when. I think if you are serious about this, you NEED to tell your parents and close friends. Otherwise, you're just picking an arbitrary time when (it appears to me) you feel like you've built up enough confidence in the relationship to tell them. I mean, when will that time be? A year before the marriage? Six months? I'm all for people being committed to their partner, but getting ENGAGED means more than being in a committed relationship.

My two cents...
    I agree.. My boyfriend and I have chatted about wanting to live together and get married and stuff but we know it won't happen now - tbh I don't feel either of us are mature enough to seriously understand the perspective of our whole lives! It definetly doesn't mean we don't love each other, and that it won't happen one day, there's just no need for it now.

ReputationRep:
    We are going to discuss the date in person because we then have to decide where it is going to be, either in America or the UK. Plus i want his family to know first, it doesnt seem like the right time to tell them at the moment considering there may be a divorce in the household.

im moving there, either next year if i get into college there, or after i finished my higher diploma here or my BA. In that time hes going to move here temp for a while and help me settle in.

i think we we're thinking about 2010 for the wedding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianStrikedown)
    We are going to discuss the date in person because we then have to decide where it is going to be, either in America or the UK. Plus i want his family to know first, it doesnt seem like the right time to tell them at the moment considering there may be a divorce in the household.

im moving there, either next year if i get into college there, or after i finished my higher diploma here or my BA. In that time hes going to move here temp for a while and help me settle in.

i think we we're thinking about 2010 for the wedding
    Im sorry if it sounded like we were having a go but you can understand our point of view. when are you going to america?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    So why get engaged? but why get engaged if you don't know when you're going to get married?
    Beacuse it shows how serious the realtionship is! and its a promoise to each other that they will be together forever

ReputationRep:
    relationship*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    On the note of marriage: Tell me if this is wrong or right?
    Some couple from my school (bearing in mind there are younger years as it's a normal school). There is a couple that are in the current situation:
    Girl is in year 12
    They've been together about 4 weeks now, and got engaged at 2 weeks.
    Boy is in year 11

Is this right?!! I can't help but think it's a little... odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    On the note of marriage: Tell me if this is wrong or right?
    Some couple from my school (bearing in mind there are younger years as it's a normal school). There is a couple that are in the current situation:
    Girl is in year 12
    They've been together about 4 weeks now, and got engaged at 2 weeks.
    Boy is in year 11

Is this right?!! I can't help but think it's a little... odd.
    in this instance i would say they will break up and probably wont get married.

have they set a date for the wedding?

its a bit weird to get engaged so young but i spose it does work for some people. i think its more of a attention seeking thing though. especially after 4 weeks!!!

EDIT: they got engaged after 2 weeks!!! they barely know each other!

ditto with angelil said.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds odd to me as well Cutie. I'm a big believer in a) being together for a good amount of time before even considering engagement/marriage [i.e. years!!] and b) living together before marriage, and it doesn't sound like those two fulfil (or will be able to fulfil) either of those criteria.
    It's true that some people get engaged that young and it works out - but often the circumstances are very different (case in point: my parents. Together since they were 15 and 16, married at 19 and 20, still together - but they both left school at 16/17 and so had been working 2 or 3 years by the time of marriage. Working definitely makes you grow up!).

ReputationRep:
    Getting engaged at 2 weeks doesn't sound right... yes in some cases it can work like that, but in year 11?

But I guess that's just my personal opinion...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm, yeah, was all very dramatic.
    He proposed to her in the English Corrador (sp?).
    She jumped up and down screaming "Yes.. yes"

And at lunch and breaks she hangs onto his neck eating his ear, all very..Too much to see. They're just a very odd couple.

I definatly know it can work, just worries me that a guy of about 15 is asking someone to marry him after 2 weeks; what is he going to be like when he's say...25/30?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah, was all very dramatic.
    He proposed to her in the English Corrador (sp?).
    She jumped up and down screaming "Yes.. yes"

And at lunch and breaks she hangs onto his neck eating his ear, all very..Too much to see. They're just a very odd couple.

I definatly know it can work, just worries me that a guy of about 15 is asking someone to marry him after 2 weeks; what is he going to be like when he's say...25/30?
    divorced.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    divorced.
    Times atleast 5 times.

ReputationRep:
    Times atleast 5 times.
    well thats under the assumption he gets married.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm, Im not sure.

Anyway, tonight the boy told me he's coming home for the weekend but doesn't want to see me. Don't know what I've done, but.. I was a little shocked!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.