Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    oh i didn't want advice, meeting my boyfriend (this was months before we started going out by the way) for the first time after knowing him as a pen pal for 6 years wasn't scary at all, i was just a little nervous because i knew i liked him so much

Almost one year now since we've been together, woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accident)
    OMG!I'm so jealous of you.May I how much is your flight ticket to australia?I'm actually planning a surprise trip to see the gf but am afraid the flight ticket will cost me more than 750quid.(i'm in aberdeen btw)

and finally I found someone like me who texts the partner constantly when we're both awake.I don't find anyone else doing it but me. anyway,so happy for you you get to see your bf soon!

When are you looking to go? Mine, bearing in mind it will be the middle of Summer, was 930 for the end of Dec to end of Jan which is loads better than some I have seen. If you want to go a bit later than that you should be able to easily get it for that price, let me know and I'll pm you the company I booked with.

Haha that's good to know....I'm not weird then! It has to be done, doesn't it? :p:

Yeah I can't wait, 5 weeks is still a rather long time though!

ReputationRep:
    OMG!I'm so jealous of you.May I how much is your flight ticket to australia?I'm actually planning a surprise trip to see the gf but am afraid the flight ticket will cost me more than 750quid.(i'm in aberdeen btw)

and finally I found someone like me who texts the partner constantly when we're both awake.I don't find anyone else doing it but me. anyway,so happy for you you get to see your bf soon!

I'm always texting my boyfriend when I'm awake and chatting on the phone. I think its really important to talk as much as you can. Theres no such thing as chatting too much in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Rogers)
    When are you looking to go? Mine, bearing in mind it will be the middle of Summer, was 930 for the end of Dec to end of Jan which is loads better than some I have seen. If you want to go a bit later than that you should be able to easily get it for that price, let me know and I'll pm you the company I booked with.

Haha that's good to know....I'm not weird then! It has to be done, doesn't it? :p:

Who did you book with? Cheapest I could get was £1070 but then that was busiest period over Christmas and New Year I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Who did you book with? Cheapest I could get was £1070 but then that was busiest period over Christmas and New Year I guess.

121 flights, they don't have a website though. That might be why they are so much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    121 flights, they don't have a website though. That might be why they are so much cheaper.
    Ah I think I rang them, but weren't any better. I'm always mistrustful of ones with just a phone number too haha.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I think I rang them, but weren't any better. I'm always mistrustful of ones with just a phone number too haha.

Haha yeah I wasn't too sure because of that too! But the boyfriend assured me they were fine, and low and behold I have my e-ticket ready and waiting! (It did take them 2 days longer to email it than they said it would though, I did get rather worried!).

It's probably the dates too, are you going for christmas? I wish I could have, I'd have loved to spend our first christmas together. My mother however, would KILL me for not being home!

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah I wasn't too sure because of that too! But the boyfriend assured me they were fine, and low and behold I have my e-ticket ready and waiting! (It did take them 2 days longer to email it than they said it would though, I did get rather worried!).

It's probably the dates too, are you going for christmas? I wish I could have, I'd have loved to spend our first christmas together. My mother however, would KILL me for not being home!
    Yep, going 3 weeks today! Until the 6th Jan...

It'll be weird being away from the family, but they were really pleased for me. Plus it fits into the uni holidays nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, going 3 weeks today! Until the 6th Jan...

It'll be weird being away from the family, but they were really pleased for me. Plus it fits into the uni holidays nicely.

That will be amazing - does he live over there permanently then?

I can't say I'm looking forward to the flight though! Something like 21 hours in the air to Perth

ReputationRep:
    That will be amazing - does he live over there permanently then?

I can't say I'm looking forward to the flight though! Something like 21 hours in the air to Perth
    Aye he's Australian, met when we both studied in Germany

Ugh I know! I was just speaking about that to my housemates...
    I've got to fly to Germany first, change there, fly to Taiwan and thats about 13 hours, and then spend a day in Taiwan, then fly for another 8.5 hours to Brisbane!!

I got so bored on the plane to America, think I'll go nuts this time!

ReputationRep:

I was thinking of early March.cause it wouldn't be peak time.if I were to go during Easter break it will cost so much more,summore I will be staying for a week only,so not too worth spending too much.
    Thanks a lot for the help!

and yes,5weeks surely is long!but at least something to look forward to

ReputationRep:
    LDRs WORK!!

If you're worried about it next year don't be.
    My boyfriend & I are about 200 miles apart - i'm doing a2s in the midlands, and he is at plymouth.

It's been fine - I've been variating from seeing him once a week to once a month.
    You don't even need to stay constantly talking - to be honest that's very difficult in a uni environment, you have to accept that that person will have a completely new life to deal with, and might not have the time to ring you for hours on end every night or text every other minute.

But you do need trust - if either of you are slightly paranoid, the relationship will break down straightaway... really reconsider it if one of you gets jealous really easily, because it will be that much harder to deal with

Don't know if that helps anyone, but at the end of the summer I tore myself up wondering whether or not it was worth giving long distance a go, but now I'm so glad I did..

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of early March.cause it wouldn't be peak time.if I were to go during Easter break it will cost so much more,summore I will be staying for a week only,so not too worth spending too much.
    Thanks a lot for the help!

and yes,5weeks surely is long!but at least something to look forward to

Try 121 flights...search them on google, they don't have a website. They are really helpful and might give you a good deal. Good luck!

And it definitely is! I am literally counting down the days!

ReputationRep:
    Aye he's Australian, met when we both studied in Germany

Ugh I know! I was just speaking about that to my housemates...
    I've got to fly to Germany first, change there, fly to Taiwan and thats about 13 hours, and then spend a day in Taiwan, then fly for another 8.5 hours to Brisbane!!

I got so bored on the plane to America, think I'll go nuts this time!

Really? That's mad! I'm flying 12 hours to Hong Kong, I'm there for an hour then it's 8 hours or so to Perth. Going wont be as bad because I'll be excited...but coming home will be terrible!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was hoping I could join the society. A bit of background information for you - I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now. My boyfriend has just gone to university 3 1/2 hours away (but before that we were LD but of a slightly shorter distance). Usually we see each other every other weekend.

My problem is that I feel like he doesn't appreciate what I do for him any more, since he has gone to uni. I'm not at uni so I'm in the same routine as I was before. But now, I make all the effort to see him every other weekend, I always end up doing his cooking cleaning and ironing, and uni life has made him so shattered that most of the time I'm with him he falls asleep.

It just feels like because of his new routine I am being pushed to the side lines completley. He doesn't even return me texts or calls as much any more.

I guess this was more of a rant than anything, but if anyone has any advice or has been in this situation, I would much appreciate advice. I just love him so much, but the way he is treating me atm is driving us apart.

*Sigh* Sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmy_Rose)
    Hey guys, I was hoping I could join the society. A bit of background information for you - I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now. My boyfriend has just gone to university 3 1/2 hours away (but before that we were LD but of a slightly shorter distance). Usually we see each other every other weekend.

My problem is that I feel like he doesn't appreciate what I do for him any more, since he has gone to uni. I'm not at uni so I'm in the same routine as I was before. But now, I make all the effort to see him every other weekend, I always end up doing his cooking cleaning and ironing, and uni life has made him so shattered that most of the time I'm with him he falls asleep.

It just feels like because of his new routine I am being pushed to the side lines completley. He doesn't even return me texts or calls as much any more.

I guess this was more of a rant than anything, but if anyone has any advice or has been in this situation, I would much appreciate advice. I just love him so much, but the way he is treating me atm is driving us apart.

I don't really have any advice, I just thought I'd say that I really don't think it's right that you're doing all his cleaning and ironing - you've visited to be with him, not to do his chores!! If I was you, I'd refuse!

Have you spoken to him about how you're feeling? Maybe he doesn't realise that you feel pushed to the sides, and perhaps if you tell him, he'll make a conscious effort to change and include you more

ReputationRep:

What's uni life involve for him that's making him so shattered? If he was working 9-5 fair enough, but uni life is a bit of a doss in comparison...

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm not entirely sure if my realtionship counts as long distance as my boyfriend's only 40 mins away from me... Basically I'm at uni now and he's back home training to be a teacher, we see each other every weekend which is brilliant, yet the weeks are really really hard without him, I love him to pieces and it breaks my heart every single time I say goodbye .

I know I can't complain compared to what others on here go through, but it doesn't make it any easier for me.

Oh and when I'm at uni, except for meeting and talking to my flat mates and the people on my course etc, I never understand the point of going out with everyone because I just miss my boyfriend more... Makes me feel slightly unsociable but if I go out I end up tired and lonely anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Dani -before JM and I figured out that we both had MSN and could actually talk every night :rolleyes: (slow? us? never :p: ) we used to email every single day, meaning we could both reply at our own convenience (particularly important when he was spending all day travelling home from uni - when we met online he was studying in Bath and used to go all the way home to the south of France by train). It does work and can definitely help!

As for getting the courage to meet for real after meeting online...(to whoever asked that question)...afraid I can't really help with that as agreeing to meet my boy for real just felt so natural (we were just sickeningly in love from the start I'm afraid). Don't do it until you're ready is probably the best advice I can give!
    Thanks B, I've been trying to do that a bit. I send him facebook messages a few times a week, but he never replies. He does text me a bit, but it's expensive for me to text back, and I don't have access to a computer all day when I'm at work. I know it's doable, but it's just putting a little effort in, and I have to convince him that it's worth it. I think he's just lazy and will give up too easily. He says that he still loves me and thinks we should just go on a break, but I'm wondering if that's just him trying to let me down easily or something. It's just making me feel so bad all the time now. Gah! Kudos to those people who are doing even longer LDR's than me and for longer periods of time- this has to be one of the hardest things I've ever done!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

First of all! I love you avatar? Is it you? Gorgeous pony!

Secondly.. My boyfriend sounds a little like this!
    He doesn't seem to appreciate the little things I do anymore liek always texting .. calling etc, but for us its the opposite, im still in my last year of sixth form so he has to come and see me virtually every weekend, and I go to his one weekend a month (woop woop everyone: Seeing him this weekend). but everything I do now, he finds something to pick wrong with it, and seems constantly tired, whenever we're together he's constantly falling to sleep!

I'd say have a chat to him, maybe uni is stressing him out? I know it is my bf..
    but everyones different, im sure he doesn't love you any less, maybe he's just finding it hard.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.