BobMax1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi Guys,

So I am currently looking at universities and I'm really finding it difficult to decide which one's to go for.

I am currently doing BTEC Level 3 Computing which is equal to 3 A levels and I'm looking to do a Computer Science dregree at Uni. I got a 4 in maths which results in my university options kinda being limited due to the fact that a lot of the top ones want you to have a 5 or 6.

I am looking at University of Huddersfield but it requires you to have a 5 in Maths - However, I am able to apply for Computing which requires a 4 and then if i get over 50% first year I can then switch over to year 2 computer science.

But then again, I don't really know if University Of Huddersfield is any good.

I don't want to end up choosing the wrong university and not enjoying it.

I have also looked at Kent which seems okay but then again, I don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what the type of things I should look for in choosing the right university and possibly any suggestions on unis you may have, Thanks!
Last edited by BobMax1; 3 months ago
HarisRahman123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would suggest giving Aston University a look as it's built a reputation for being good in computing based subjects. I see you got a 4 in maths, this isn't a problem for this uni as their minimum entry req is 4 in english and maths. However, this univeristy is based in Birmingham so travel may depend on you.

As for the BTEC it's fine they accept DDM which shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

Good Luck!
Haris
BobMax1
Rep:
?
(Original post by HarisRahman123)
I would suggest giving Aston University a look as it's built a reputation for being good in computing based subjects. I see you got a 4 in maths, this isn't a problem for this uni as their minimum entry req is 4 in english and maths. However, this univeristy is based in Birmingham so travel may depend on you.

As for the BTEC it's fine they accept DDM which shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

Good Luck!
Haris
Hi Harris,

Thanks for the response!

The BTEC grade isn't an issue as I am projected to get DDD at the end

However, how do I know which university to choose? For examples Huddersfield Vs Aston? I'm trying to not look at the rankings and base it around that

But Huddersfield is close to me as I am located in Leeds. With Aston I would have to move out.
HarisRahman123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BobMax1)
Hi Harris,

Thanks for the response!

The BTEC grade isn't an issue as I am projected to get DDD at the end

However, how do I know which university to choose? For examples Huddersfield Vs Aston? I'm trying to not look at the rankings and base it around that

But Huddersfield is close to me as I am located in Leeds. With Aston I would have to move out.
There are many factors when it comes down to choosing a University. I see that you're not really looking at the rankings which is fine. However, do read the reviews and conduct extra research about the place. Naturally, there's always pros and con's but if it looks good to you and ticks all your boxes then it's fine, at the end of the day its the same degree
BobMax1
Rep:
?
(Original post by HarisRahman123)
There are many factors when it comes down to choosing a University. I see that you're not really looking at the rankings which is fine. However, do read the reviews and conduct extra research about the place. Naturally, there's always pros and con's but if it looks good to you and ticks all your boxes then it's fine, at the end of the day its the same degree
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BobMax1)
Hi Guys,

So I am currently looking at universities and I'm really finding it difficult to decide which one's to go for.

I am currently doing BTEC Level 3 Computing which is equal to 3 A levels and I'm looking to do a Computer Science dregree at Uni. I got a 4 in maths which results in my university options kinda being limited due to the fact that a lot of the top ones want you to have a 5 or 6.

I am looking at University of Huddersfield but it requires you to have a 5 in Maths - However, I am able to apply for Computing which requires a 4 and then if i get over 50% first year I can then switch over to year 2 computer science.

But then again, I don't really know if University Of Huddersfield is any good.

I don't want to end up choosing the wrong university and not enjoying it.

I have also looked at Kent which seems okay but then again, I don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what the type of things I should look for in choosing the right university and possibly any suggestions on unis you may have, Thanks!
Hi there!
I know you have been considering applying to study computer science at the University of Kent and just wanted to make you aware of our Unibuddy scheme which could help you make a decision about whether Kent is the right university for you The Unibuddy scheme puts prospective students, like yourself, in touch with current students studying the same subjects so you can ask them any questions about the course at Kent to get a better idea of what it is like I'll leave the link here in case you are interested.
In the meantime, if there is anything you're not sure of about Kent or any questions that you have then please feel free to ask! I'm currently in my final year at Kent at the moment and one of my housemates studies Computer Science here so I also know a bit about the course too
Best of luck with your university search!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads