The Student Room Group

What is a good upper second class?

Hello all,

My university uses grading system out of 4.00. I know that 2.1 correlates to the 60-69% percentile in the UK, and what would be the average "good upper second class" correspond to? my educated guess would be that a good upper second would be something like 65%, and 2.1 corresponds to the grades between 3-3.49 on the 4.00 system. So a good upper second would be somewhere in the middle, corresponding to a 3.25 or higher?

What do you say? Any help is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

65% sounds about right if 70% is a first.
67% at Cambridge
Reply 3
65% or above I would imagine
I think that it is roughly 65% at LSE and Imperial, and 67% at Cambridge and Oxford. That is generally what they require you to have for msot of their masters courses.
On a similar note, if you have, for example, 63.9, does that always round up to 64 average? what about 63.5? I know that mathematically it has to, but in general academic convention (given that you only get a transcript of individual breakdowns and have to do the average (mean) yourself?)
Reply 6
Abiceleste
On a similar note, if you have, for example, 63.9, does that always round up to 64 average? what about 63.5? I know that mathematically it has to, but in general academic convention (given that you only get a transcript of individual breakdowns and have to do the average (mean) yourself?)

Depends on the university.

Going by personal experience our results are given to 2 decimal places for the first, second and third years PLUS the final degree average. One of my friends for example was on 68.45 for her final degree classification mark and that's what the transcript says.
apotoftea
Depends on the university.

Going by personal experience our results are given to 2 decimal places for the first, second and third years PLUS the final degree average. One of my friends for example was on 68.45 for her final degree classification mark and that's what the transcript says.

But if things aren't that precise, what would you say is the convention?
so is it actually possible to get into Oxbridge with a 67% ? (given that all other criteria is satisfied)?
consultant_2_b
so is it actually possible to get into Oxbridge with a 67% ? (given that all other criteria is satisfied)?

Of course. Otherwise they wouldn't state it as their minimum entry requirements -- just as people have been known to get into Oxbridge for undergraduate study with AAB or even ABB at A-Level. The university you attend does, sadly, play a minimal part though (people from a wide range of universities have got into Oxbridge for postgrad), as well as your own motivation and plans for possible research. However, I would have thought that, if you are slightly unsure of your chance of success, Cambridge would be better to apply to than Oxford as they tend to interview postgraduate candidates, whereas Oxford doesn't, (assuming that what is the case in the Classics department -- I've been doing research :p: -- is the same the university over) and thus the interview would perhaps give you chance to show your utter brilliance! :smile:
Reply 10
On a 4-point scale, I guess that a 2.1 class would be equale to 3.3 or higher.

Some exceptions are LSE and UCL where the equivalent points are 3.6 and 3.5 respectively.

One sure thing is that 1st class equals to 3.7 or higher
Reply 11
I would say that a good 2:1 would be atleast 65. And maybe a bit more. e.g. 67.
jismith1989
Of course. Otherwise they wouldn't state it as their minimum entry requirements -- just as people have been known to get into Oxbridge for undergraduate study with AAB or even ABB at A-Level. The university you attend does, sadly, play a minimal part though (people from a wide range of universities have got into Oxbridge for postgrad), as well as your own motivation and plans for possible research. However, I would have thought that, if you are slightly unsure of your chance of success, Cambridge would be better to apply to than Oxford as they tend to interview postgraduate candidates, whereas Oxford doesn't, (assuming that what is the case in the Classics department -- I've been doing research :p: -- is the same the university over) and thus the interview would perhaps give you chance to show your utter brilliance! :smile:

a) Your undergrad university really plays hardly any role at all, assuming that the undergraduate university teaches an appropriate syllabus.

b) Cambridge certainly don't interview across the board. They don't in my subject as a rule and neither do Oxford.

c) Apply to both rather than picking one or the other - there's no disadvantage in doing so.
jismith1989

I don't think the undergrad uni would affect your chances at all, surely? They'd appreciate that not all Oxbirgde-worthy students had applied for undergrad, or they might have mistakenly been rejected, or they might just not have developed as much academically until uni.
Countless people have gone to Oxbridge from low-ranking unis. I know someone who went from Liverpool Hope!
Greatleysteg
I don't think the undergrad uni would affect your chances at all, surely? They'd appreciate that not all Oxbirgde-worthy students had applied for undergrad, or they might have mistakenly been rejected, or they might just not have developed as much academically until uni.
Countless people have gone to Oxbridge from low-ranking unis. I know someone who went from Liverpool Hope!

Interesting. Though I would have thought that it plays some role. Maybe not if you go to a university which is reasonably well respected (i.e. a redbrick, Durham, St Andrews etc.) but I find it hard to believe that, considering the many debates we have had on TSR which have strongly concluded that a first from ex-poly X is in no way equal to a first from Oxbridge, they would be considered with equal weight. If they are, however, I'm all in favour of such egalitarianism. :yep:
IlexAquifolium
a) Your undergrad university really plays hardly any role at all, assuming that the undergraduate university teaches an appropriate syllabus.

b) Cambridge certainly don't interview across the board. They don't in my subject as a rule and neither do Oxford.

c) Apply to both rather than picking one or the other - there's no disadvantage in doing so.

Good advice. And, like I said, I wasn't sure about any general interviewing policy -- I'm only aware of the policies of the Classics departments of Oxford and Cambridge, which I thought may be universal, but obviously aren't.
consultant_2_b

Yes, and many people do exactly that each year.
Reply 17
jismith1989
Interesting. Though I would have thought that it plays some role. Maybe not if you go to a university which is reasonably well respected (i.e. a redbrick, Durham, St Andrews etc.) but I find it hard to believe that, considering the many debates we have had on TSR which have strongly concluded that a first from ex-poly X is in no way equal to a first from Oxbridge, they would be considered with equal weight. If they are, however, I'm all in favour of such egalitarianism. :yep:

Actually, the reputation of your undergrad college does bear some weight when it comes to admission; not siginificant though.

For example, I remember that UBerekeley mentiones this on its websie and so does UManchester
I'd have been royally screwed if reputation had come into it when applying for PG as I only applied to one place!

Plus my offer is no higher than what they say the minimum standard required is.
Reply 19
I think that the name of your college and the difficulty of your undergrad program can only help. Let's say one had a GPA slightly below the required or a B in an advanced math course, then the admission comittee would take the fact that one went to Oxbridge or took a difficult course into consideration. Of course if you have good grades,an above-average GPA, and a strong PS, you will be admitted even if you come out of a low-ranked college.

Latest

Trending

Trending