Umanacana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I would like to choose both English Lang and lit at A level (separate choices). I love them both very much and was curious on wether I should do both or shouldn’t?

Thanks for any advice much appreciated.
NoorJ_2948
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I didn't have any of the two subjects but I think I can suggest you something. Maybe you should take both and see how they are. If you don't like one, then you can drop them later.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i do english lit only and can say it's defo a lot of work :yep: you need to be doing lots of independent work alongside it but if you enjoy it generally you should be willing to put the effort in. don't let work pile up or it's gonna be a nightmare to catch up. english lang i know has a reputation for being quite technical.
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 1 year ago
Umanacana
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply. I’ve heard about that with lit and Lang; is it worth picking both. I’m willing to do work alongside as I find both subjects more of a passion then a chore if you know what I mean E.g. I read avidly anyway as it’s one of my hobbies so when it comes to reading I won’t struggle as such. If in all honesty I want to pick both but I just want someone to push me in the right direction as to wether I should go with what I want or should decide on one. Thanks for your help anyway maybe if I say that my dream job is to be an author/writer will help in deciding wether picking both is a valid option. Thanks again.👍
Last edited by Umanacana; 1 year ago
Umanacana
Rep:
?
(Original post by NoorJ_2948)
Hi! I didn't have any of the two subjects but I think I can suggest you something. Maybe you should take both and see how they are. If you don't like one, then you can drop them later.
Thanks for your suggestion. However, it’s not really to do with if I like one or not but more to do with does doing both achieve anything or do universities overlook the fact that I did Lang and lit and just categorise it as ‘one A level’ even if it truly isn’t. Tbh even if they do I kinda wanna do ‘em both anyways. 😂😅 thanks you anyway.
13Charlotte2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take both and find both subjects equally fascinating. I always knew I'd take English Literature since I've always loved reading and analysing texts, but I thought English Language might be interesting too- and I was right! The problem is it really depends on what you like about English which determines what you should take. English Literature is your basic couple of texts, couple of unseen things, essays, whatever. English Language is very much about the language of the world around you. The texts you might get vary vastly- we've had screenshots of amazon orders, tripadvisor reviews, emails, etc. I find it fascinating- in the course I'm studying you learn how children acquire language, whether men and women speak differently, the language of different areas, different occupations, ages, ethncities, social classes and the different ways language is viewed. If you like creative writing, that's more in the English Language course. Overall, the two are vastly different, but I personally find them equally fascinating.
Umanacana
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! Will picking both affect my uni options and future choices at uni. I’d much rather pick both just had my parents evening/mock results and really positive got a 6 in English Lang we haven’t done lit as a mock yet but love ‘em both a lot! Basically wanna know if it will hinder my chances at a good uni if I pick both? Thanks for any help.
13Charlotte2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It probably depends what course you want to take. I'm planning on taking English literature and received an offer from Durham (which is the best in the UK for the subject) so I don't think it will hinder your chances at all. They are both very different subjects and are respected as such.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
23.01%
Excited but a bit nervous (108)
45.19%
Not bothered either way (32)
13.39%
I'm really nervous (44)
18.41%

Watched Threads