5 minute cake in a cup Watch

Freud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by FutureEconomist)
:p: This thread made me laugh so much... ohhh dear.

I'm tempted to make one now too... :woo:
do it do it do it
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
is it better without the egg and the oil then? i really want to try it but the idea of the egg and oil is a bit eek.
Alison267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
is it better without the egg and the oil then? i really want to try it but the idea of the egg and oil is a bit eek.

Most cakes have egg. but i didn't put 3 tablespoons of oil in, i just put two in but probably could do with less.
cheeseinthedraw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:tongue: OoOOOO this is the best thing i have ever seen.
mine was huge...... and pretty darn tasty
Hisoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm.. I am very tempted to make my own but cant work out whether is overall opinion is Yay or Nay. Still Im bored and have plenty Pepto Bismol is mine backfires!
Alison267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hisoo)
Hmm.. I am very tempted to make my own but cant work out whether is overall opinion is Yay or Nay. Still Im bored and have plenty Pepto Bismol is mine backfires!
Do it.. tastes abit mank but its fun..
post a picture as well lol!
DoMakeSayThink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ooooh the temptation.
brightxburns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just made it... with some alterations. It's quite good, for a 3-minute microwave cake!

Instead of 'cake flour' (whatever the hell that is), I used plain bread flour, with a little baking powder. I also only used half an egg (I feel that a whole egg would be too much), 2 tablespoons of oil (not 3), and an extra tablespoon of caster sugar. I also added some vanilla extract. I did it in a little glass bowl. It is a little dry though, so perhaps 2.5 tablespoons of oil would be better, or maybe a little more milk?

Here is the result!

Reblet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I put marshmallows in it would it go funny? So tempted to make this...
Mikimoto
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It works. We tried it in the Sixth Form Centre.
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Anyone tried the edits posted in the comments of the entry?

Spoiler:
Show
Deborah Chan July 14th, 2008 11:40 am

Hi, everyone! I’ve been cooking & baking all sorts of things for more than 15 years, so perhaps I can add weight to the argument for this recipe. I’m in the U.K. and use exactly the same amount stated. The size of egg is also important here. Instead of large size eggs as I would have used in baking normal cakes, a medium one was used in this experiment. To conceal the eggy smell I have also put four drops of good vanila extract (the quality of which matters). This, on top of cocoa (the bitter, real kind, and again, the quality counts), gives the cake a lovely, welcoming aroma. Here, just like baking real cakes, the size and depth of the container is crucial. You have to know your heating appliance (oven or microwave) very well to obtain good results. I used a medium-small glass bowl, a 900W micrwave, and the result is good. Considering that it is a microwaved cake made within 10 minutes (incl. preparation & measurement), I have nothing to complain about. By the way, I used melted butter (never use any other type of grease when I bake) and golden caster sugar. White, refined sugar is not suitable for cakes. The cake I got was a small dome-shape dark chocolate cake, with just the right degree of sweetness. I cut it into six portions, each slice perfect to go with an espresso (or even cappuccino) for an elevenses or afternoon tea.

Spoiler:
Show
coolguy July 13th, 2008 11:10 pm

I have further modified my version (posted above) and ended up with a much better looking cake than before. This was likely due to replacing 1 tbs of oil with unsweetened applesauce. All measurements are US measurements:

Jello 5-Minute Cake

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon sugar-free jello powder, any flavor
1/8 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Egg white
3 Tablespoons milk (or soy milk)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 Heaping tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Microwave-safe bowl or mug

Instructions:
Mix flour, sugar, jello and baking powder
Mix in egg white
Pour in milk, oil, applesauce and vanilla, and mix well
Put in microwave for 2.5 minutes (add 30 sec if necessary) on maximum power
Wait until it stops rising and sets in the bowl/mug

Just two, going up from the bottom (latest comments at the bottom)
Freud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reblet)
If I put marshmallows in it would it go funny? So tempted to make this...
I lurrrvve stuff with marshmellows in it! I'd imagine cleaning the cup after would be tricker (line it with greaseproof paper?) but do it do it do it! And take photos and maybe put some in the post to me...

(Original post by Alison267)
Most cakes have egg. but i didn't put 3 tablespoons of oil in, i just put two in but probably could do with less.
I believe the little bit of oil is to make it easier to get out of the cup but not really required
Freud
Rep:
?
(Original post by brightxburns)
I just made it... with some alterations. It's quite good, for a 3-minute microwave cake!

Instead of 'cake flour' (whatever the hell that is), I used plain bread flour, with a little baking powder. I also only used half an egg (I feel that a whole egg would be too much), 2 tablespoons of oil (not 3), and an extra tablespoon of caster sugar. I also added some vanilla extract. I did it in a little glass bowl. It is a little dry though, so perhaps 2.5 tablespoons of oil would be better, or maybe a little more milk?

Here is the result!

weee looks fab! How does it taste?
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Another you could probably try is to put a little bit of Toffee or something in there, as in the desert topping. You could try fruit (Banana, Strawberry go well with Chocolate I believe) but I'm not sure they would hold in a microwave ... probably best to just add them afterwards (topping)
brightxburns
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
weee looks fab! How does it taste?
Relatively good. Nicely chocolatey, not too sweet... Good enough to satisfy a chocolate cake craving. You can always mix up some icing to go with it. I just spread some leftover vanilla buttercream icing on mine & it's even better!
Jerking My Gerking
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)

Here is the result!

Ahh, that looks soo much better than mne. I want to eat it. Nom nom nom.
rainbow drops
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's in the microwave now...
Freud
Rep:
?
I can imagine a bit of Eric clapton in the background of this thread and a sultry woman's voice saying 'this is not just a cake in a cup...'
Miss.Naughty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha, wow, you learn something new everyday! :p:

Shall probably try this at some stage!
rainbow drops
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's actually nice!

it's quite spongey but still good. i modified the recipe a bit though, only put 1 spoon of oil in and 5 milk. thanks a lot for this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads