Turn on thread page Beta

5 minute cake in a cup watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My guess is the egg. I did mine sans oeuf and it was lovely!

A bit of milk and golden syrup, no egg. Beautiful
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Reblet)
    Hasty yours looks pretty good Enjoy!
    I'll be honest it wasn't too nice, but it was a good discovery!
    Again, problems with INTENSE heaviness, if we can sort that out, it'll be an amazing party trick!
    In it's current state, it'd be a good cake for using in other things, or crumbling, but as a piece of cake, it's well, an effort to eat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasty)
    I'll be honest it wasn't too nice, but it was a good discovery!
    Again, problems with INTENSE heaviness, if we can sort that out, it'll be an amazing party trick!
    Was I the only one on this thread who really enjoyed it?! I want to make a couple at work tomorrow haha.

Mine was lovely and light Scrap the egg is my advice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Was I the only one on this thread who really enjoyed it?! I want to make a couple at work tomorrow haha.

Mine was lovely and light Scrap the egg is my advice.
    I'll give it a try without egg then!
    I'm also gonna halve the ingredients, why make it in a mug, if it's gonna be double the size, of even my LARGEST mug?! :P

ReputationRep:
    *goes and makes it *

ReputationRep:
    I made mine in a HUGE mug so it only rose slightly above it. Twas rather awesome. Especially as my dad refused to believe I had just make cake in a mug. Smug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasty)
    I'll give it a try without egg then!
    I'm also gonna halve the ingredients, why make it in a mug, if it's gonna be double the size, of even my LARGEST mug?! :P
    I'm going to try this too: no egg, halve ingredients. Before it rose so high that it stuck to the top of the microwave.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if anyone has already posted this, and I don't want to read every single post, but I always make microwave sponge puddings. My dad taught me and this is what I do for a syrup (treacle) sponge pudding):

For two hungry people with custard:
    Get 1 egg. Weigh it. However much it weighs in its shell, write it down. Then weigh out that much of butter, sugar and self raising flour. Mix it all together. Get a bowl (cereal bowl will do). Rub a little butter around it. Put in a large dollop of golden syrup in the bottom of the bowl (or chocolate syrup if doing a chocolate one). Pour the cake mix on top of the syrup. Cover with cling film and microwave for about 3 minutes til puffy and set. Remove clingfilm (careful as hot) and turn out onto a plate upside down (or eat from the bowl). Delightful.

You can also add raisins for spotted **** etc. We also got taught this in school. Its dead handy and really easy to modify.

The oil in the original recipe, if anyone was wondering and thinking its a bit icky, is instead of margarine or butter so I wouldn't omit it as it might be quite dry.

Go forth with microwave cakey deliciousness.

ReputationRep:
    *adds on to long list of things to do whilst at uni*
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think i'm gonna perfect mine at other peoples' houses after a long night of drinking! Then, even in its current state, it won't be such a massive cake, it'll be gone in no time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    *adds on to long list of things to do whilst at uni*
    Start a mug-cake society...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I vote Reblet or the other members on here, do some scientific testing, so we can actually properly lighten it, and make it more like a proper cake! So long as we can just shove all the ingredients in a mug, and it's stuff we'd usually have in, add what you want!

i dont have any self raising flower so could i sub in baking powder with plain flower :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I had a good stab at making this but gave up half way through; I remembered that I do not possess a microwave!

ReputationRep:
    lonest 3min of my liiiiife
    didnt taste very good....going to experiment loads tomorrow
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Google 'microwave chocolate cake' - there are loads of different variations of what is essentially the same recipe. Might have to spend a day toying around with this!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, we could if we can find 13 others at Durham willing to join. The best thing is if they cakes become inedible, we can bill DSU for them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Lol, we could if we can find 13 others at Durham willing to join. The best thing is if they cakes become inedible, we can bill DSU for them....
    I would totally be in, but unfortunately it's highly unlikely that I'll still be at Durham come October. I bet you could easily recruit 13 just from TSR, though. Go on! You could have stash and everything. Your own mugs!

ReputationRep:
    with custard this is delicious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slender Loris)
    I would totally be in, but unfortunately it's highly unlikely that I'll still be at Durham come October. I bet you could easily recruit 13 just from TSR, though. Go on! You could have stash and everything. Your own mugs!
    It would be rather funny lol. Whether the societies officer would ratify us though might be another matter, we might have to name it something else...

What's up with Durham next year? Have you got resits or something to do?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.