Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just tried this. Used 4tbs of flour, 4 and a bit tbs of sugar, 1tbs of cocoa, 3tbs plus a bit of milk, 1 pullet (small) egg, and a tablespoon of melted margarine.

Tastes good, overflowed in the microwave but its a good texture, not too dry and just chocolatey enough.

oh, it probably went in the microwave for 4 mins, half on full power, half on medium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdcrisp2000)
    I didn't have proper cocoa, so i used Cadbury's instant hot chocolate powder, but added more :p: It still tasted foul.

i used that highlights instant chocolate and it was okay

ReputationRep:
    I made it, and it worked alright. Probably needed more than 3 mins in the microwave as it was quite gooey, but it tasted alright. It almost overflowed in the microwave (well, it came out of the top of the cup but it didn't fall over, and there were a few drips, but that's all). I think I'll try it again sometime. Probably would've been nice with ice cream.

ReputationRep:
    I made it! Over flowed everywhere and parents got made but it was worth it!

Looks gross, tastes ok! Filled me up! Definatly putting in Rolo's or chocolate chips, it would MAKE it! lol

I cant believe it worked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    It would be rather funny lol. Whether the societies officer would ratify us though might be another matter, we might have to name it something else...

What's up with Durham next year? Have you got resits or something to do?
    Alternative Baking Society? Experimental Baking Society?

I have ten assignments (received yesterday) to resubmit by Friday. Not going to happen.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I felt so ill after eating just a quarter of the cake, from original recipe. I was up all night, with my stomach churning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slender Loris)
    Alternative Baking Society? Experimental Baking Society?
    Nah, would have to be something not involving food. Then its a lot easier to claim back for it...
    I have ten assignments (received yesterday) to resubmit by Friday. Not going to happen.
    Make a formal complaint. That is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Nah, would have to be something not involving food. Then its a lot easier to claim back for it...

Make a formal complaint. That is ridiculous.
    Microwave Technology Society?

Well, the actual deadline is 11th August, but on Saturday I'm going to Nepal for ten weeks, without internet/computer/academic library. I had been told before that the deadline would be mid-July, so I organised my travel around that. Although I'd be hard pushed to get them all done in time even if I weren't going anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slender Loris)
    Microwave Technology Society?
    Might work, given who the new president is...
    Well, the actual deadline is 11th August, but on Saturday I'm going to Nepal for ten weeks, without internet/computer/academic library. I had been told before that the deadline would be mid-July, so I organised my travel around that. Although I'd be hard pushed to get them all done in time even if I weren't going anywhere.
    Well they told you something that was total *******s. That should be their problem, not yours.

ReputationRep:
    I read this thread and was intrigued!
    So I tried it with half the ingredients, no egg, and more sugar, put it on 800w for 3 mins...and it made like a rock cake! It literally smells like hideously burnt toast, and is sooooo hard to chew. Also, I put some cream over it, and it started sizzling, and everytime I take a bite, it sort of crackles and sizzles in my mouth...
    But it does actually taste quite nice and chocolately so I shall continue to eat it Although I can't actually break it with a spoon/fork cos as it's cooling it's getting more and more rock-like (it reminds me of lava), so I have to sort of smash it into chunks...

Anyway here's a pic:

Actually it's starting to make me feel quite ill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    I read this thread and was intrigued!
    So I tried it with half the ingredients, no egg, and more sugar, put it on 800w for 3 mins...and it made like a rock cake! It literally smells like hideously burnt toast, and is sooooo hard to chew. Also, I put some cream over it, and it started sizzling, and everytime I take a bite, it sort of crackles and sizzles in my mouth...
    But it does actually taste quite nice and chocolately so I shall continue to eat it Although I can't actually break it with a spoon/fork cos as it's cooling it's getting more and more rock-like (it reminds me of lava), so I have to sort of smash it into chunks...

Anyway here's a pic:

Actually it's starting to make me feel quite ill...
    i think the recipe did actually need the egg :yep: it cooked fine with the egg, in case you want to make it again and do it differently.

ReputationRep:
    Weeeee yeah! This thing really took off a bit :yeah:

To everyone who made this because I posted some piddley little link on TSR I love you all.

To try:
    1. perfect sugar amounts
    2. compare with and without egg
    3. try with golden syrup (yuuuuum)
    4. try with choc chips
    5. try to not induce hideous stomache cramps in about 1/3 of eaters

Also, does pepto bismal help bloating/stomach cramps? Might have to get my hands on some if I'm actually gonna give some experimenting a try.

I'll get me cooking hat on tomorrow (free house - no one to ridicule my efforts lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    I really have to try this soon!

Freud, what have you started?! :p:
    Nothing less than a cake REVOLUTION! (geddit, cos in the microwave... it rotates... see what I did there?)

First microwaved cakes, next THE WORLD!

Mwhahahahahahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    What does not putting an egg in with it do??? Much difference?

I've made these a few times over the pas few weeks, never tried without an egg though.

They still always turn out yummy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    Nothing less than a cake REVOLUTION! (geddit, cos in the microwave... it rotates... see what I did there?)

First microwaved cakes, next THE WORLD!

Mwhahahahahahahahahahaha
    :woo: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)

I've made these a few times over the pas few weeks, never tried without an egg though.

Was your recipe different to the one I posted? If so It'd be nice to know because a lot of people (including myself) found this recipe to be too heavy, tasteless and tummy-ache inducing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freud)
    Was your recipe different to the one I posted? If so It'd be nice to know because a lot of people (including myself) found this recipe to be too heavy, tasteless and tummy-ache inducing
    Basically the same, I found that website a few weeks ago and it's worked fine for me, I make it in a small bowl though, came out a bit too stiff mine does, not gooey, maybe I overcooked it though.

I wanted to try this today using the Cadbury instant hot chocolate powder (dont have cocoa) then I changed my mind after reading Mdcrisp's post :p: Would Hershey's chocolate syrup be a good substitute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)

Mine was without an egg and it tastes like a normal cake, but it doesn't come out of the container is all so I had to eat it with a spoon, tastes gooood though! I think it's a lot lighter from what I've read about other peoples though, I just amde up the amount of egg liquid with oat milk instead.

ReputationRep:
    but doesn't not adding the egg and adding more milk insted make it quite running?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.