The Student Room Group

Biomedical science~ Surrey v KCL v Lancaster v Keele v Kent

Could you please to share your experience and opinions to the above U? Which one is better? KCL is a non accredited one, could I need to do a master course for accredited afterwards if I want to be BMS in NHS later? I am an international student as well.
Original post by Candiceswyip
Could you please to share your experience and opinions to the above U? Which one is better? KCL is a non accredited one, could I need to do a master course for accredited afterwards if I want to be BMS in NHS later? I am an international student as well.

Hello!
I do a very similar course to Biomedical Science at Lancaster and have lots of friends on the accredited course here so hopefully I can help.
If you want to be a BMS in the NHS then definitely do a an accredited course! If you don't you can still enter the NHS but at a much lower entry level and it'll take considerably longer to become a BMS! The only downside with doing an accredited course is that you often don't get much option choice, but that way you'll be equipped with everything you need to work in a lab!
Lancaster offers a placement a year and a lot of students will work in a NHS lab for a year - this obviously gives them tonnes of experience and let's you know exactly what it'll be like.
If you have any questions about Lancaster specifically then do let me know!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
I do a very similar course to Biomedical Science at Lancaster and have lots of friends on the accredited course here so hopefully I can help.
If you want to be a BMS in the NHS then definitely do a an accredited course! If you don't you can still enter the NHS but at a much lower entry level and it'll take considerably longer to become a BMS! The only downside with doing an accredited course is that you often don't get much option choice, but that way you'll be equipped with everything you need to work in a lab!
Lancaster offers a placement a year and a lot of students will work in a NHS lab for a year - this obviously gives them tonnes of experience and let's you know exactly what it'll be like.
If you have any questions about Lancaster specifically then do let me know!
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thanks for your reply! I know the placement quota in NHS is highly competitive in Lancaster. Am I right?

Hello there!

I am a student currently studying at Keele University. If there is any specific questions you do like to ask about the university then please do and i’ll be more than happy to find the answers for you! :smile:

I have just looked in the 2020 prospectus and I can confirm that Biomedical Science at Keele will be accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science and the Royal Society of Biology.

The Biomedical Science degree at Keele will prepare you to work in high tech hospital labatories within the NHS or private sector. You could also use the degree to go on to work in consultanty, research, education and management so it really does allow for a bright future! :smile:
hello, may I know the possibility to get a placement in yr 3 is high or not in Keele?

Hi there!

I'm currently in my final year at Kent and have honestly really loved studying here :biggrin: I don't study Biomedical Science though unfortunately, so I don't personally know much about the course. But Kent have a Unibuddy programme that you might find helpful! It allows prospective students like yourself to talk to current students at Kent studying the same course so you can get an inside opinion on what the course is like. I'll leave the link here in case you'd like to use it :smile:

Kent is a really great place to study though, regardless of what course you take, as student life is really fun and inclusive and there is always something going on. As Kent is a campus based university it creates a real sense of community and means you have easy access to loads of on-campus facilities including a gym, cinema, theatre, nightclub, bank, and lots of cafes, bars and restaurants. Also, Canterbury city centre is just a 20 minute walk from campus and there is a high-speed train service into London :smile:

This is a pretty brief overview of my experience at Kent, but if you have any questions about the University of Kent please feel free to ask :biggrin:
Best of luck with your university search!
Thanks for your reply! I know the placement quota in NHS is highly competitive in Lancaster. Am I right?

No worries! I'm not sure about the exact ratio of placements to places, but a lot of student will commute to Barrow/Preston/Blackpool, but you can also do your placement wherever you chose! Some UK students did placements nearer to their hometown for example. It's up to you!
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!

I'm currently in my final year at Kent and have honestly really loved studying here :biggrin: I don't study Biomedical Science though unfortunately, so I don't personally know much about the course. But Kent have a Unibuddy programme that you might find helpful! It allows prospective students like yourself to talk to current students at Kent studying the same course so you can get an inside opinion on what the course is like. I'll leave the link here in case you'd like to use it :smile:

Kent is a really great place to study though, regardless of what course you take, as student life is really fun and inclusive and there is always something going on. As Kent is a campus based university it creates a real sense of community and means you have easy access to loads of on-campus facilities including a gym, cinema, theatre, nightclub, bank, and lots of cafes, bars and restaurants. Also, Canterbury city centre is just a 20 minute walk from campus and there is a high-speed train service into London :smile:

This is a pretty brief overview of my experience at Kent, but if you have any questions about the University of Kent please feel free to ask :biggrin:
Best of luck with your university search!

Thanks!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
No worries! I'm not sure about the exact ratio of placements to places, but a lot of student will commute to Barrow/Preston/Blackpool, but you can also do your placement wherever you chose! Some UK students did placements nearer to their hometown for example. It's up to you!

Thanks Charlotte. I am an international student and is waiting for the reply from Lancaster.
(edited 4 years ago)
hello, may I know the possibility to get a placement in yr 3 is high or not in Keele?

Hi there! I’m not too sure myself about the chances of getting a placement in year 3 as i do not study Biomedical Science. However, I will e-mail the biomed lead for you now and ask! :smile: Hope this is helpful!
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there! I’m not too sure myself about the chances of getting a placement in year 3 as i do not study Biomedical Science. However, I will e-mail the biomed lead for you now and ask! :smile: Hope this is helpful!

oh, really thanks! 😊
oh, really thanks! 😊

I have sent the e-mail so i’ll let you know as soon as they reply! :smile:
oh, really thanks! 😊

I received a reply from Biomed today! This is what they have said -

‘Thank you for your email. As a biomedical science student, there are two placement options; an industrial placement or a clinical placement.

For details on industrial placements I would recommend the student takes a look at the following website;

https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/academiclife/studentplacements/

These placements are organised by the university and there are some academic requirements. All the information should have available through the link above.

Clinical placements are in a pathology laboratory where a student will be supported to complete the IBMS registration portfolio. These are organised by the School of Life Sciences. This will enable to the student to attain their certificate of competence upon graduation and will therefore be able to apply for HCPC registration and work as a biomedical scientist. There are two types of clinical placement;

14 weeks (taking place in the summer between second and third year,

46 weeks (taking place between second and third year, making the degree a four year degree)

Clinical placements are limited and therefore open to an application process. We can not guarantee that all students who wish to do a placement will be able to do so.’

I hope this helps you in some way?! If you have any more questions then please don’t hesistate to ask!
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
I received a reply from Biomed today! This is what they have said -

‘Thank you for your email. As a biomedical science student, there are two placement options; an industrial placement or a clinical placement.

For details on industrial placements I would recommend the student takes a look at the following website;

https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/academiclife/studentplacements/

These placements are organised by the university and there are some academic requirements. All the information should have available through the link above.

Clinical placements are in a pathology laboratory where a student will be supported to complete the IBMS registration portfolio. These are organised by the School of Life Sciences. This will enable to the student to attain their certificate of competence upon graduation and will therefore be able to apply for HCPC registration and work as a biomedical scientist. There are two types of clinical placement;

14 weeks (taking place in the summer between second and third year,

46 weeks (taking place between second and third year, making the degree a four year degree)

Clinical placements are limited and therefore open to an application process. We can not guarantee that all students who wish to do a placement will be able to do so.’

I hope this helps you in some way?! If you have any more questions then please don’t hesistate to ask!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Not a problem! If you have any more questions then please do ask! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending