?
Report 10 years ago
£20?!! Is that all?!
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They dont pay for sperm dontations in the UK.

Also you do have to give your details which the child can access once they turn 18.

Basically all the reasons why theres a massive shortage in the uk at the moment. I'd have no problem donating as long as it was anon.
Miam!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chumbaniya)
If you'd feel that you'd be missing out by not knowing the children that result from your donation, I'd advise not donating. The children who are born because of your donated sperm would be yours biologically speaking only; their father in any meaningful sense would be the one who raised them, and if you're not able to detach yourself from this and accept that being the genetic father in this case doesn't really give you much connection to the children, you're better off leaving it.

However, I find it odd that you talk about 'losing something' when donating sperm does not affect in any way your ability to have children of your own.

I agree with this post I don't think you should give if you're not able to detach yourself completely from the thought that, somewhere, you have a 'child'... I can imagine that it must be really weird to think about it and imagine that they look like you and maybe share some personality traits with you, but I agree with Chumbaniya that you shouldn't imagine that you have any meaningful connection to the children. I think that the notion of blood relationship has often been romanticized in literature and other media (attractive stories of long lost relatives, and the idea of blood relationship as an meaningful 'link' that can't be broken) but that in fact, upbringing is what matters.

Personally, it's not something I would do before I am older (I don't know how old the OP is, I assume late teens/early twenties). And the fact that the kids could easily contact me would REALLY deter me. I would absolutely hate it if my spawn wanted to meet me and turned up 18 years later, expecting something from me. Exchanging pictures to satisfy our curiosity is all I'd want to do. Finally, have you taken into account how needed sperm donations are? Because I would imagine that they aren't as rare as blood, let alone marrow, donations, and they aren't as vital (waiting a fewmonths doesn't endanger your life...)
superfical space cadet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your obviously having doubts or you wouldn't be asking, in that case you shouldn't do it you have to be sure because it's something that will possibly change your life forever, if your always going to be wondering then it's not fair on the family that the child is brought into, they dad is the person who brings a child up. Genetics doesn't really play a big part in loving someone, this child could turn up at 18 with a lot of questions it could have had a bad childhood and blame you fo it. If my partner had donated sperm and the child turned up I would not be happy, as pink mobile said it plays a part on your own future children how would they feel knowing somewhere out there they had a sibling
princess_sue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think its a good thing to do to help people very much. I would donate eggs after I have had all my children.

Don't forget about the new laws OP as well, when your "child" from that donation turns 18 (if they want) they have the right to find you.
Skipper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
They dont pay for sperm dontations in the UK.

Also you do have to give your details which the child can access once they turn 18.

Basically all the reasons why theres a massive shortage in the uk at the moment. I'd have no problem donating as long as it was anon.
Nail on the head. I'd give it some serious consideration if there wasn't the chance that 18 years down the line they could just turn up.
peter norths cousin
Report 10 years ago
its not anonymous anymore, so yeh you could have someone turning up at some point in your life
Desperate Prayer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive often though about this. Theres plenty to go around - im literally overflowing with the stuff :p:
CM Punk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sperm donation is awesome. you get paid to jack off.
openbookuk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no doubt that the country is flowing with semen but one needs to look at the big picture. the regulations have changed and this needs to be taken into consideration.
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex-hs)
well I hear they pay quite well for sperm donation
Imagine telling your son about it later on. Yeah, I got £50 for donating your beginnings. I used the money to go out for some pints with my friends and bought some **** with the remainder". Thanks, dad.
JazzyJo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My boyfriend donates his sperm, but not for making babies. It gets used for reasearch and they pay him £25 a pop!
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've thought long and hard about doing this and I can't see any downsides...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Leonardo85)
yeah that's something I've already thought about. I know I will donate after I'll have a child, but I also feel like I want to help now..
by the way I didn't know you had to leave the name in case the child would like to know you. imagine if you donate periodically, you could have a few children and not know any of them...
theres a maximum number of times you can donate.

Personally the thing that would make me hesitate before donating would be the sperm checking thing.
Anyone remember the hollyoaks storyline where one of the guys tried to donate sperm and found out (wrongly as it turned out) he was infertile...
Leonardo85
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
theres a maximum number of times you can donate.

Personally the thing that would make me hesitate before donating would be the sperm checking thing.
Anyone remember the hollyoaks storyline where one of the guys tried to donate sperm and found out (wrongly as it turned out) he was infertile...
to be honest I'd like to have a check just to make sure everything is ok. it would devastate me to know that I was infertile, so the sonner I'd know, the better..
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by openbookuk)
There is no doubt that the country is flowing with semen but one needs to look at the big picture. the regulations have changed and this needs to be taken into consideration.
A fact I learnt in A-Level Biology....a man produces enough sperm every 3 days to fertilise every single woman in the world. So yeah, there's plenty of sperm that could be used!

On another point...I don't know my biological dad. He left when I was a few months old and have been brought up by my brother and sister's Dad, who I call Dad and who treats me like his own. However, this doesn't stop me thinking about my real dad. It doesn't stop me wondering what he's like and what he's doing with his life.

Obviously the child may not know that they are alive due to a sperm donation, but if they did, it might cause a few issues for the child.
Airel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You get paid to masturbate, where are the cons in this arguement.
DUFFMAN!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
DUFFMAN! donates sperm on a regular basis and it feels DUFF-TASTIC! OH YEAH!
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex-hs)
well I hear they pay quite well for sperm donation
If that's true, then you can be a professioanl ****** .

I'd be inclined to think that if I did donate sperm, my own children would be less special, which I wouldn't want. But you must do whatever you think is right - if that's helping other couples become happy families, then so be it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (252)
27.21%
No (674)
72.79%

Watched Threads