The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

UWS (University of the West of Scotland) applicants 2020

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to UWS for 2020!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applied for paramedic science 4 days ago, didn't realise they had it as the contract is so new.
Current hons degree in psychology and biology.
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Reply 2
Anyone else applied here for Paramedic Science?
Reply 3
Original post by Cjscully

Have you heard anything back?
Reply 4
applying for paramedic science too, but not heard anything ^^ sent off my application on 19/12/19. guessing that you guys haven't heard back either?
Reply 5
Original post by mhittboi
applying for paramedic science too, but not heard anything ^^ sent off my application on 19/12/19. guessing that you guys haven't heard back either?

Nothing for me. Which Uni’s did you apply to? I’ve sent in for all of them but definitely would prefer GCU!
Reply 6
Nothing for me. Which Uni’s did you apply to? I’ve sent in for all of them but definitely would prefer GCU!

same as yourself! i've applied to all of the scottish ones, though i think GCU, robert gordon, or stirling would be my first choices. i'd love to get to do placements somewhere that i'm familiar with :')
Reply 7
same as yourself! i've applied to all of the scottish ones, though i think GCU, robert gordon, or stirling would be my first choices. i'd love to get to do placements somewhere that i'm familiar with :')

Aw same! I’m from Motherwell, what about you? Be good to get to know some people going through the process!
Reply 8

I also applied for Paramedic at UWS, Heriot Watt and QMU(December 17th). Still waiting for offers
Reply 9
Original post by Dan102
I also applied for Paramedic at UWS, Heriot Watt and QMU(December 17th). Still waiting for offers

Good luck! Keep us posted if you hear anything! 🤞🏽
Aw same! I’m from Motherwell, what about you? Be good to get to know some people going through the process!

from fife here, so stirling placements can potentially cover the area ^^ honestly though i don't have an awful lot of preference between the different unis, i'm quite excited to potentially see somewhere new

and there doesn't seem to be many people on the forums applying for the scottish paramedicine courses, so it's great to find people in the same situation :') here's hoping we all hear back soon

Still nothing for me too, sent mine away on 13/12/19 and I am so impatient. I have also applied for RGU, GCU, Queen Margaret and Stirling, I have an interview for RGU but nothing else for the others. What about everyone else here, have you heard back anything?
Nothing so far. Rejection GCU - 14/12/19Pending - QMU, UWS, Stirling and London.
Applied to RGU Paramedic Practice 19/12/19, yet to hear anything back. Hoping no news is good news 🤞
i love that i've gotten vaguely familiar with everyone applying to the same course on the forums ahah, i'm glad we're all nervously waiting together. so for all of us (i believe) all we've seen is an interview offer for RGU and a rejection for GCU?

you're right though, hopefully no news is good news. i'm hoping that now the main application period is closed, that some decisions will start to be made. it's a bit intimidating watching other people get offers, but i guess it's just time to wait now ^^

Original post by caitlin2705
Still nothing for me too, sent mine away on 13/12/19 and I am so impatient. I have also applied for RGU, GCU, Queen Margaret and Stirling, I have an interview for RGU but nothing else for the others. What about everyone else here, have you heard back anything?

is it okay if i ask when your interview is? :0 just out of curiosity!
i love that i've gotten vaguely familiar with everyone applying to the same course on the forums ahah, i'm glad we're all nervously waiting together. so for all of us (i believe) all we've seen is an interview offer for RGU and a rejection for GCU?

you're right though, hopefully no news is good news. i'm hoping that now the main application period is closed, that some decisions will start to be made. it's a bit intimidating watching other people get offers, but i guess it's just time to wait now ^^

I applied to gcu on the 6th of September so i think i was the first batch of decisions/rejections. I know the open day for them is mid February so you should be hoping to hear back then.

Unsure about the others im afraid.
from fife here, so stirling placements can potentially cover the area ^^ honestly though i don't have an awful lot of preference between the different unis, i'm quite excited to potentially see somewhere new

and there doesn't seem to be many people on the forums applying for the scottish paramedicine courses, so it's great to find people in the same situation :') here's hoping we all hear back soon

Well the 15th has now passed so here’s hoping 🤞🏽You’re tight, there’s not much chat on the forums but I was told on GCU open day that there were around 600 applications last year for 50 odd spaces, I would prefer GCU as they’re the only Uni who had ran the course already and I got such a positive vibe on the day!

Are you applying straight from school? I’m concerned age may go against me. How do you feel your personal statement went?
Well the 15th has now passed so here’s hoping 🤞🏽You’re tight, there’s not much chat on the forums but I was told on GCU open day that there were around 600 applications last year for 50 odd spaces, I would prefer GCU as they’re the only Uni who had ran the course already and I got such a positive vibe on the day!

Are you applying straight from school? I’m concerned age may go against me. How do you feel your personal statement went?

not applying straight from school, this entire course goes against pretty much everything i've done during my education. never took biology, and i'm currently in a college course for computer games design. it can definitely be worrying when you're potentially up against people who have wanted to do paramedicine for a long time, are just leaving school, and have actually taken similar subjects. however, i've tried really hard to push in my personal statement that i'm really enthused about the course, and that i'm trying to make up for what i don't have through self study.

i think my personal statement went alright, though to be fair, i've not really got much to compare it to. again, it's difficult to push to try and get the place when there are others who have done volunteering and worked in healthcare. i scraped together some money a few weeks ago and sat an emergency first aid course, though my submission was before that so I didn't end up including it. could be something that I mention if I get to interview stage though!

i'm really rambling now. 50 spaces really doesn't sound like a lot, though hopefully with the push to get more paramedics before 2021(?) then more opportunities will open up for all of us. by the amount i'm seeing you all around, i can only guess that you share the same enthusiasm.

My interview is on the 8th of February for RGU
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to UWS for 2020!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Hellooooo! I've applied for Commercial Music and Performance both (BA)s and I got a audition for of Commercial Music! my top choice!
the subjects im studdying are:
Higher Music (A)
Higher Music Technology (B)
Higher Drama (Predicted A)
Higher Design & Manufacture (Predicted B)
Higher English (Predicted A)
Higher Mathematics (Predicted C)
(Music and Music Technology I already have I just thought I'd list all my highers).
Thats all form me Byeeeeeee!

Quick Reply

Latest