Magic: the Gathering - Theros: Beyond Death Watch

AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
And the final oneshot preview is Tymaret Calls the Dead... could be good in Limited, giving two 2/2s for 3 mana, some lifegain and scry. Can't see it making waves in Constructed though, mono black will probably favour Gary, and Sagas don't stick around to provide devotion.

[EDIT] Could be okay in a 2-3 colour War of the Spark zombies deck, I guess, but I don't think I've seen anyone play that on Arena since rotation.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
Advertisement
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Okay, cards of interest on Day 1:

Starting with lands, we have the allied colour scryland temples (Abandon, Deceit, Enlightenment, Malice and Plenty). Nice, but I doubt that this alone will lead to post-rotation levels of three colour decks, as the temples are just too slow. Also making a return with some new art: Field of Ruin, suggesting that there may be some more degenerate lands to come... though hopefully not a Field of the Dead unbanning. :afraid:

A new mana rock: Nyx Lotus. Adds an amount of mana of any one colour equal to your devotion to that colour. Powerful effect, but it does cost 4 generic mana, comes into play tapped, and obviously provides no devotion itself. Seems expensive and clunky, though it could certainly see play in (non-Green) mono-coloured Brawl decks. Nice art too, and anything with 'Lotus' or 'Mox' in its name always creates some discussion.

Kunoros, Hound of Athreos does everything that I don't want an Orzhov-coloured creature to do - both my Aristocrats and my Lifegain Matters decks rely on WAR Sorin and his ability to bring stuff back from the graveyard. Obviously makes sense from a lore point of view, Cerberus guarding the underworld and all, and the Vigilance, Menace and Lifelink combo is glorious. Best of all, it stops Cauldron Familiar!

Underworld Breach gives all nonland cards in your graveyard Escape, allowing you to re-cast them for their mana costs + exiling three other graveyard cards. However, it gets sacrificed during the end step. Cards like this are too complicated for me, the sheer amount of preparation involved in ensuring you have enough mana for this + whatever you want to bring back, and enough cards in your graveyard to exile? No thanks.

Finally, Purphuros, Bronze-Blooded seems like it'd be fun in a mono-Red stompy deck - I'm thinking Ilharg, the Raze-Boar since it'll always come back a few turns after being sacrificed, but other players seem to be pairing it with Cavalier of Flame and Fires of Invention. Another obvious combo is Ox of Agonas, another new card which refills both your hand and your graveyard every time it enters the battlefield.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Final interesting spoiled cards of 2019:

Idyllic Tutor gets a reprint, I remember this from Morningtide. 2W sorcery, searches for any Enchantment. It didn't take people long to break it - this can search for Fires of Invention, giving those decks far more consistency. :yucky: I personally will be using it for far less degenerate things, such as Divine Visitation and Ethereal Absolution.

Nadir Kraken looks fun! 1UU for a 2/3 Kraken who creates 1/1 tokens every time you draw a card (so long as you're willing to pay the small price of 1 generic mana as well). Blue is the one colour I haven't managed to fashion into an unlimited creature token generator yet, and the fact that they're tentacles works with my username. :coma:

*Self* mill gets more support in the form of Devourer of Memory and Mire Triton (more Seb McKinnon art :coma: ). Towering-Wave Mystic provides more flexibility, allowing you mill yourself or an opponent equal to the amount of damage it causes (to anything, by the looks of it)... question is, do I splash in Green for the usual growth spells, or Red for Embercleave?

Heliod, Sun-Crowned is my lifegain matters deck's new best friend. Another way of giving my Pridemates and Aerialists lifelink, and making them bigger quicker. :coma: He's good enough even without the 5 white devotion, though I should be able to get that easily anyway with Pridemates, Healer's Hawks and Impassioned Orators.

Lastly, exile. Banishing Light gets a reprint, my first time seeing the card. It's Oblivion Ring, except that apparently destroying it can return Commanders from the command zone since it doesn't specify 'from exile'. Should replace Prison Realm in all my decks that don't care about Scry so much. Also, why counter a spell when Ashiok's Erasure can flash exile it and prevent opponents casting more of the same? Deals with uncounterable stuff too! High cost at 2UU, mind.
Advertisement
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Lastly, exile. Banishing Light gets a reprint, my first time seeing the card. It's Oblivion Ring, except that apparently destroying it can return Commanders from the command zone since it doesn't specify 'from exile'. Should replace Prison Realm in all my decks that don't care about Scry so much. Also, why counter a spell when Ashiok's Erasure can flash exile it and prevent opponents casting more of the same? Deals with uncounterable stuff too! High cost at 2UU, mind.
Ashiok's Erasure is interesting, since it seems to be one of my favourite spells (Ixalan's Binding) except in blue and with fewer restrictions, and as a bonus bounces the spell back to the hand if it gets destroyed (thus forcing them to pay the cost to play it again and giving you another chance to counter it, which Ixalan's didn't do). The 2U I guess limits a bit more than Ixalan's to probably mono-blue or blue heavy decks otherwise.

Also I find it amusing the dog stops the cat :>
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Ashiok's Erasure is interesting, since it seems to be one of my favourite spells (Ixalan's Binding) except in blue and with fewer restrictions, and as a bonus bounces the spell back to the hand if it gets destroyed (thus forcing them to pay the cost to play it again and giving you another chance to counter it, which Ixalan's didn't do). The 2U I guess limits a bit more than Ixalan's to probably mono-blue or blue heavy decks otherwise.

Also I find it amusing the dog stops the cat :>
I have definitely missed Ixalan's Binding since rotation. :moon: I can't see Ashiok's Erasure fitting into any of my existing decks that use Blue, though, most of them rely on 1-2 mana Instants and Sorceries, with higher costs reserved for the finishers. Guess we'll see how much Enchantments Matter in THB Blue once more of the set is revealed.
Advertisement
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Nessian Boar is a 10/6 for 3GG... though it comes with a big downside: all creatures able to block it do so, and your opponent gets to draw a card for every creature they block it with. No Haste, no Trample. As fun as it would be to drop Embercleave on it, under most scenarios it's just a big blocker or a board wipe for your opponent's creatures which then refills their hand with replacements. Not interested.

Dalakos, Crafter of Wonders could be an interesting Brawl commander, though the lack of really great artifacts (aside from Embercleave, which has better ways of making it cheaper) in Standard right now limits it... here's hoping for something good to come later in this set! 7/7 hasty flying double striking Ilharg could be worth a try, though. :coma:

As usual, Scryfall's placeholder names for foreign language spoiled cards are glorious. :rofl: "Nom Nom, Delicious Cards" is an interesting option for mill, especially self-mill since it chucks your library's top four cards into your graveyard, and costs four exiled cards for Escape recursion. Repeat as often as you have the mana! Also seems okay for milling opponent, though I think the options attached to creatures are better for defence.

Glimpse of Freedom is a hard one to evaluate. 1U draw a card with recursion, more expensive recursion than Radical Idea (2U and exile 5 cards), though with the advantage that you can cast it more than twice. Again, might be better suited for self-mill decks, though it could also work in my double draw deck, it does get through Shocks and Opts surprisingly quickly.

Lastly, Reverent Hoplite is my kind of creature. Seems like an absolute bomb for Draft, giving you 1/1 human soldiers equal to your devotion to White... I'd love to play this in Constructed alongside Divine Visitation, likely with some Starfield Mystics to lower the cost, but it's probably too janky and asking for a board wipe. :laugh:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Wavebreak Hippocamp is a 2/2 for 2U which draws you a card the first time you cast a spell on an opponent's turn. My Flash deck would want this, but it doesn't have Flash itself... unless I also run WAR Vivien or the Blue Leyline, but then we're definitely in jank territory. Similar story for my double draw deck, it'd be great to draw 2 for one mana with Opt, but it doesn't beat Royal Scions or Irencrag Pyromancer for the 3 CMC slots. I imagine it'll find a home somewhere, it's a nice card.

Black gets a decent, common Creature removal spell for Limited in Final Death; expensive at 4B, but it exiles in a set full of Escape and Indestructible, which should justify it. One Black also makes it very splashable.

And if the above + Gary wasn't enough to make Black the colour to fear in Limited, Pharika's Spawn should seal the deal. 3B gets you a 3/4 which doesn't do a great deal, but if you Escape it for 5B and only 3 exiled cards, it becomes a 5/6 which makes your opponents sacrifice a (non-Gorgon) creature. Big body, and with an Escape cost that reasonable, opponents will want to think twice about killing it.

I don't know whether I've mentioned my love of going wide with creature tokens before (:flute: ), but "Lolth" (placeholder name) appeals to me greatly. :coma: A horde of Reachy, un-Shockable spiders has to be every Phoenix deck's worst nightmare. Even if she gets Murder'd, you get one last spider out of her.

"Number One Bolas Fan" could have a place in Rakdos / Jund sacrifice decks... probably not as a sacrifice outlet, due to the existence of Witch's Oven, but it certainly gets big quickly!
Advertisement
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Haktos the Unscarred is possibly my favourite card of the set so far, in terms of flavour and mechanics - a 6-1 who has protection from everything, except for cards costing one of either 2, 3 or 4 CMC (which one of those is, unfortunately, chosen at random). 4 would likely be the best, as most regularly used kill spells are 2-3 CMC, and he won't end up trading to a cheaper blocking creature. Also attacks each combat if able.

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling is going to be a fun card for ETB effect decks! Elementals, Gary (splashed into an otherwise Black deck, of course) and that accursed Agent of Treachery will love her. It has also been pointed out that any cards she flickers will return under your control, not their owner's control, which when combo'd with Act of Treason or Claim the Firstborn would allow you to steal those creatures permanently. :zomg:

Enchantments also get recursion via Shimmerwing Chimera (I can't help but auto-correct that in my head to 'Shimmering', hopefully I'll get used to it eventually)! But yeah, returning omens etc. to your hand for reusing, or even a removal enchantment if your opponent plays something worse than whatever you exiled earlier, could be great in this set. Not so great: 2 toughness for 4 mana.

Tymaret, Chosen from Death provides Gary decks with more Black devotion, as well as gaining toughness itself equal to your Black devotion, AND can exile up to two cards from graveyards at a reasonable cost, providing lifegain if you target creatures (doesn't tap when doing this either, so repeat as many times as you have mana free). Very nice.

"Screaming Firehawk" (placeholder name): 2/2 Flying Hasty Phoenix for 1RR. Pay 2R to bump its power by +2 as many times as you can afford. Escape it for 2RR and three exiled cards, returns with a +1/+1 counter. Seems like we're all going to have to add a lot of graveyard hate to our decks! :afraid: This thing is scary, especially in Limited.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Erebos's Intervention: XB to give target creature -X/-X until end of turn, and gain X life, OR exile twice X cards from graveyards, at Instant speed. This is ridiculously good. Kills Gods and other indestructible stuff, or acts as a great value answer to Escape shenanigans. Black seems OP in this set.

Green and Red also have Interventions (Nylea's and Purphoros's, respectively), suggesting a cycle with White and Blue to come. I didn't mention the former when it was spoiled days ago because it doesn't seem THAT good in Standard (XGG to put X lands in your hand is a bit expensive, and Field of the Dead is banned; the Flying hate is very situational). The Red one looks fine, kills Nissa, or gives you a huge Trampling Elemental finishing move. Note both of these are Sorceries.

Siona, Captain of the Pyleas creates 1/1 Human Soldiers for every Aura you attach to your creatures. Another card that I really like, but that's impossible to build around without losing to every popular mass removal spell in Standard. :moon: Worse since it's Auras and not Equipment, making them harder to get back afterwards.

Everyone told me not to stroll on that beach. Said "Seagulls gonna come, poke me in the coconut". And they did. And they did. Vexing Gull seems good for Limited, 2/2 Flash Flier for 2U, but the fact that it doesn't do anything once in the battlefield means that I won't be needing it for my Flash deck.

Naiad of Hidden Coves is tough to evaluate. My Flash deck doesn't want him either, since tapping out on Turn 3 would give opponents a good chance to get something scary onto the battlefield, but he could bring Wilderness Reclamation back into common usage (especially with all the Enchantment buffs around as well).
Advertisement
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath is a 1GU 6/6... who is sacrificed immediately upon entering the Battlefield, unless it escaped for a reasonable cost of GGUU and 5 exiles. It also draws you cards, lets you play additional lands, AND gains you life every time it enters the battlefield or attacks. Could see this doing well with a lot of cheap landfetching, counterspells and Opts filling the graveyard with escape fodder. Seems like a less-vulnerable version of Risen Reef.

"Eidolawn" (placeholder name) is a 2G 2/4 who lets you play an additional land each turn, but also turns all your lands into all basic land types, in addition to their other types. Took me a minute to realize this gives you mana fixing in all colours, allows you to play utility lands like Field of Ruin without worrying about colour screw, makes all your lands Forests for Nissa's purposes etc... YIKES, this is powerful.

Thryx, the Sudden Storm: 3UU for a 4/5 Flash Flyer who makes 5 CMC spells cost 1 less generic mana, and (best of all!) makes them uncounterable. Question is, what deck wants this? Most flash decks aren't playing 5+ CMC spells; Simic Ramp maybe, to make Nissa uncounterable, but at the cost of playing her a turn later (and if your opponent does have counterspells, Thryx is just as much a target). Nice bomb for Limited, maybe that's all.

Keeping with the Green/Blue theme, Eutropia the Twice-Favored is an uncommon Legendary 2/2 who puts +1/+1 counters on creatures and gives them Flying until the end of turn every time an Enchantment enters the battlefield. This plus Uro is a nasty combo! Or flash in an Omen for unexpected Flying blockers during your opponent's combat phase.

Finally, back to Black: "Lamia? I Hardly Know Ya" (:rofl: ) is a 4/4 for 4B who acts as a graveyard tutor, as well as making spells in the graveyard cost 1 generic mana less. Not legendary, though the high cost should prohibit too many from being played at once. Another card which seems better for Limited.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Eat to Extinction: Vraska's Wrath, but more splashable, and with (non-keyworded) surveil instead of lifegain. Not sure how playable it is with Murderous Rider costing one mana less, but certainly another good card for Limited!

Rakdos colours get Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger. Has the same 6/6 stats as its Simic counterpart from yesterday, attached to a lower CMC of BR, but also sacrifices itself instantly unless escaped (for BBRR, same rate as Uro). Its ETB/attack ability causes opponents to discard cards and/or lose life... though whether you actually WANT to help fill your opponent's graveyard in THB is another thing!

It has been pointed out that Hushbringer stops the ETB sacrifice triggers of these Titans... as well as the upsides, but not when they attack the turn after! Lazav can also copy them while they're in the graveyard, and avoid the sac trigger since he's already in the battlefield. This could lead to all sorts of degenerate 3 colour decks. :afraid:

New Planeswalker! Calix, Destiny's Hand finds you Enchantments from the top of your deck, turns any of your existing Enchantments into Oblivion Rings for opponent's Creatures and Enchantments, and his ultimate... returns all Enchantments in your graveyard to the battlefield, which doesn't seem like the 'you win the game' kind of effect that PW ultimates usually are, but could be nasty with enough build around!

And, Thassa's Oracle: lets you grab a card from the top X in your library, where X is your devotion to Blue. And if X is bigger than the number of cards in your library, you win the game. A fun card for self-mill, providing another, cheaper win condition on top of Jace, or helping you find cards to get the mill engine going (Drowned Secrets, The Magic Mirror etc). Also, I really like the art on this one, probably one of my favourites of the set so far.
Advertisement
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Calix's -7 is pretty much Estrid the Masked minus the self mill, and legal outside commander though...also all the theros gods are enchantment creatures I believe, so should also get returned if I'm not mistaken? With lots of ways to send stuff to gy in this set I imagine it might not be hard to dump 7 of those to bring back with that effect, which probably would win the game :O
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Calix's -7 is pretty much Estrid the Masked minus the self mill, and legal outside commander though...also all the theros gods are enchantment creatures I believe, so should also get returned if I'm not mistaken? With lots of ways to send stuff to gy in this set I imagine it might not be hard to dump 7 of those to bring back with that effect, which probably would win the game :O
True, but it's a slow game plan. Depends on how easy it'll be to keep ticking Calix up while also protecting him and filling your graveyard with good Enchantments. I'm sure the set will have the cards to do all the above, but I'll probably have to check out someone else's decklist to find out what those cards are. :laugh:
Advertisement
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
True, but it's a slow game plan. Depends on how easy it'll be to keep ticking Calix up while also protecting him and filling your graveyard with good Enchantments. I'm sure the set will have the cards to do all the above, but I'll probably have to check out someone else's decklist to find out what those cards are. :laugh:
Yeah I guess commander might work better for that kind of thing...although greens usual ramp tactics might help accelerate things a little if you can find some draw power to feed it?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
And finally, the set is fully revealed:

https://scryfall.com/sets/thb?order=set

Unlike with Throne of Eldraine, where my love of Knight Tribal from Dominaria guided me in an obvious direction, I'm not sure what to sink my Arena wildcards into for this set (aside from scrylands, naturally). :p: Mono Black Gary devotion is something I'm sure to build, but that seems to be quite low on rares and mythics. Maybe Gruul Satyrs with Gallia, Skola Grovedancer and Careless Celebrant (M20s Elvish Reclaimer could fit nicely, too). The two Titans look fun to build around.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Theros: Beyond Death is up on Arena! :coma: While I wait for the new update to install, here's an early deck I'll be trying out, at least until the dust settles and we know what in this set is actually any good:

4 Stomping Ground
4 Careless Celebrant
4 Fabled Passage
7 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Setessan Champion
2 Temple of Abandon
4 Nessian Wanderer
4 Skola Grovedancer
3 Gallia of the Endless Dance
3 Klothys, God of Destiny
2 Warbriar Blessing
3 Cindervines
4 Destiny Spinner
2 Omen of the Forge
1 Omen of the Hunt
2 Anax, Hardened in the Forge
2 Lava Coil

Gallia immediately caught my eye among the early previews, such a fun card to build around. Obviously want as many Satyrs in there as possible for the full +1/+1 and haste benefits, but I've also gone for an 'Enchantments Matter' subtheme, since a lot of the creatures I wanted to play happened to also be enchantments. Destiny Spinner makes both the above un-counterable, and gives me a big land elemental with haste should I need another attacker to activate Gallia's effect. I'm also giving Cindervines a shot, as while it hasn't made much impact in the year since its release, it's an enchantment that kills enchantments and pings the opponent to boot, this could be its time to shine.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
^ Have just finished crafting the above deck, but before messing about in constructed, I wanted to check out Limited. My rares were:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Theros Sealed #1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  389.4 KB

That awkward moment where two of your biggest bombs' effects cancel each other out. :laugh: Decided to go with the cerberus over the lamia, as I had very few Escape cards anyway, and threw in Nightmare Shepherd as well. Went for Esper colours rather than Orzhov, allowing me to use the temple and thaumaturge as well... only led to colour screw in one of the five matches I played before getting eliminated, the rest were just the result of opponents having more removal, or outpacing me with aggro. Also, Haktos is a nightmare to deal with. :grumble: Good fun, and I look forward to entering at least one more Limited event tomorrow.
Advertisement
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
After playing 15 games with my Satyr deck (tweaking it as I went along, edits in the above quote), it now has a win:loss ratio of 8:7 - about normal for my decks, and better than the terrible Izzet Wizards one I binned to make room for it. Most importantly, it's a huge amount of fun. Creatures and aggro are what MTG means to me, and when this gets going, it has plenty of both! :coma:

I underestimated the land fetching abilities of Nessian Wanderer. :zomg: Once it became clear how good that was, I no longer needed Omen of the Hunt. I made the right call with Cindervines however, that has been great at getting rid of enchantment exile (and artifact exile, as I've seen a rise in the use of Glass Casket), as well as stuff like Revenge of Ravens, the last thing a hasty aggro deck wants to face. Anax, Hardened in the Forge provides some protection against board wipes, turning all my creatures into 1/1 Satyrs (easily 2/2 Satyrs if I've kept a spare Gallia in hand). Setessan Champion gets big fast, and draws me additional cards. Lastly, Klothys provides lifegain & drains my opponent, or extra mana where needed, so long as there are cards in the graveyard to exile (and if my opponent doesn't have any fodder, I probably do from Fabled Passages or Gallia random discards).

[EDIT] Might switch the number of Mountains and Forests though, as removing Warbriar Blessing (a fairly meh card, don't know why I was interested in it TBH) and upping Lava Coil (to deal with Questing Beast et al.) has shifted the colour balance in the other direction.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sealed game #2 rares:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Theros Sealed #2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  385.9 KB

I saw Gallia, I saw a number of common and uncommon satyrs, and I knew what deck I'd be running this time! I also had one Skophos Maze-Warden to go with the Labyrinth, but although I managed to get both into play together a couple of times, I never found myself in a situation where the combo was a better use of 4 mana than whatever was in my hand. Mantle of the Wolf is AMAZING in limited; I'm tempted to try it in my constructed Satyrs deck too as another way of recovering from board wipes, as well as making Gallia bigger as she's an easy target. Ended up going 4:3, which gives me enough gems for a 3rd shot at it tomorrow. :excited:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sealed game #3 rares:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Theros Sealed #3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  390.6 KB

This was a disaster. I was hopeful that Heliod would be a good enough win condition, but I had barely any other White cards for devotion. Not much worth playing in Blue either, so I went Naya, making the most of White's removal, Red's aggro and Green's big creatures. Managed to limp to two wins before losing three in a row. Can't do much against bombs like Ashiok, or Archon of Sun's Grace. :no:

I think that's enough gems splurged on THB, at least until I can draft it - apparently I already have 85% of the set's cards at singleton level, and am 60% towards having full playsets of them all. :laugh: Mostly at common and uncommon level, of course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed