The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to apply for a fashion course without experience?

I really want to study fashion and textiles at college but I'm not the greatest at drawing plus i dont know much about the history behind fashion like fashion designers and stuff, the reason I wanna study it is because of the creative side and being practical I dont mind learning everything that's the point in taking the course but I'm scared I'll be judged because of my lack of knowledge, is it not worth applying or should I go for it? I need some advice 😔
I don’t see why not if you show them your Scrapbook
Okay, honestly it's not a problem, as long as you have a drive to do the work and have really thick skin. And I mean THICK SKIN, the thing is, I'm exactly the same as you, and considering my portfolio got me into quite a lot of unis, I was confident. Truth is, the teachers tear you down, and you really, really need to be able to rise above that and still believe in yourself. Or at least that's how it is in my uni, and to be completely blunt, being good at drawing
Reply 3
Original post by Stefanierikie
Okay, honestly it's not a problem, as long as you have a drive to do the work and have really thick skin. And I mean THICK SKIN, the thing is, I'm exactly the same as you, and considering my portfolio got me into quite a lot of unis, I was confident. Truth is, the teachers tear you down, and you really, really need to be able to rise above that and still believe in yourself. Or at least that's how it is in my uni, and to be completely blunt, being good at drawing

Hi thanks for your advice! How did you go about building your portfolio? The course I wanna do is a HNC but I haven't got a portfolio yet, when I enquired about the entry requirements they said I don't need experience I just needed to go in for a maths and english assessment but maybe learning the basics and building a portfolio before hand would be better than applying for the HNC and being totally clueless right? Do you know what I could do to build the portfolio?
Original post by LeoMessi10
Hi thanks for your advice! How did you go about building your portfolio? The course I wanna do is a HNC but I haven't got a portfolio yet, when I enquired about the entry requirements they said I don't need experience I just needed to go in for a maths and english assessment but maybe learning the basics and building a portfolio before hand would be better than applying for the HNC and being totally clueless right? Do you know what I could do to build the portfolio?

Basically what I did was look up so many portfolios on youtube, see how they're build and also, looking at portfolios on Behance help a lot in seeing how they're build and structured, and make sure you really show your thought process, how you develop the ideas, it would be best if after you do a concept and putting it on paper, ask for an opinion from other people, see if they get the message you were trying to tell. Goodluck!

Quick Reply

Latest