Help with Further Mathematics Polar Coordinates

Watch
Ethan7702
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I'm struggling with graphing polar curves, I think my approach is what the problem is. I just cant get my thought process in line, I've been struggling to graph this one in particular below:
r = sec( theta - pi/4 )

Can someone please help me with the approach to these questions?
Thanks!
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ethan7702)
Hi,
I'm struggling with graphing polar curves, I think my approach is what the problem is. I just cant get my thought process in line, I've been struggling to graph this one in particular below:
r = sec( theta - pi/4 )

Thanks!
The approach that is recommended in most text books is to make a table of values for theta across the range of values you normally use (most often -pi to pi, but some prefer 0 to 2pi - either is fine), using sufficiently many divisions so that you can see what is going on (every pi/12, say), then use a calculator or your general knowledge to find the corresponding values for r. You can then plot these points as accurately as you like, and the shape of the curve should be clear. There isn't really a need to plot the points super-accurately using a protractor, its only the general idea that you need.

I prefer to do things a little differently. In this case, I would sketch a graph of y = sec(theta - pi/4) first, which shouldn't be too tricky, as we're expected to know what a graph of sec looks like, and the subtraction of pi/4 is a simple translation of this graph. Then I would imagine what it would look like if instead of using the y values as the height of the curve for a particular angle, these values were used as the length of the radial vector pointing in the direction of that angle. I find this a bit less time consuming than working out loads of values with a calculator, and it keeps me thinking about my general trigonometry and transformations knowledge.

Most courses stick to the convention that r must be non-negative, so whichever method you use, if it leads to negative values of r at any point, you need to treat these as zero values of r (strictly speaking, null values as the curve doesn't exist at these points). But be careful - if you are checking your sketches against a graphic calculator or online graph plotter, many of these do use negative values for r, and so they may include portions of the curve that you are supposed to discard.
Zzzzzzz17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
r = sec( theta - pi/4 )

Thanks!
Right, so from what I remember (I dropped Further Maths last year), you plot a table of coordinates for values of ϴ being 0, π/4, π/2, 3π/4, π, 5π/4, 3π/2, 7π/4, 2π. You use the equation to work out the values of r corresponding to each ϴ value. Now, I don't think the graphing needs to be exactly to scale but once you see the general trend in the values of r (increasing, decreasing, constant, fluctuating), you can approximately plot the r values against the ϴ values in a 4-quadrant grid. Hope this helped in some way
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
r = sec( theta - pi/4 )

Thanks!
Further to my first reply, which is perfectly OK advice in general, I've looked at your particular example and it's an interesting one. I would start off just by thinking about r = sec(theta). If you multiply through by cos(theta), you get r.cos(theta) = 1. Now - what do you recognise about the LHS? Does this make it very easy indeed to draw the curve? If so, what is the effect of replacing the theta by theta - pi/4?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so r = 1/cos ( Θ - 45º )

rcos ( Θ - 45º ) = 1

rcosΘsin45º + rsinΘcos45º = 1

rcosΘ and rsinΘ have special meanings in polar regions....
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
r = sec( theta - pi/4 )

Thanks!
The "table of values" is a good approach in general to polar plotting and works especially well for plots that end up as a series of "lobes" or "petals". However, there is another way of tackling cases involving sec(theta) or cosec(theta).
First, note that r = 1 / cos(theta - pi/4) then use the cos(a - b) formula and a little rearranging to give you:
r(cos(theta) + sin(theta)) = sqrt(2)
From there you can substitute in cos(theta) = x/r and sin(theta) = y/r to give you the cartesian line that this "polar" plot actually consists of.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also you can think of the effect of having Θ - 45º instead of just Θ .... it is a rotation of 45º of the graph of secΘ in the anticlockwise direction
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
Further to my first reply, which is perfectly OK advice in general, I've looked at your particular example and it's an interesting one. I would start off just by thinking about r = sec(theta). If you multiply through by cos(theta), you get r.cos(theta) = 1. Now - what do you recognise about the LHS? Does this make it very easy indeed to draw the curve? If so, what is the effect of replacing the theta by theta - pi/4?
Thanks

I've tried out graphing it by sketching sec(theta) by the side, and then translating it by pi/4. This makes it much easier for me to graph it.
About the other approach in the quoted post, I recognize rcos(theta) as x, of course. So, in Cartesian form, its just x=1 I guess, but how do I implement replacing theta with theta - pi/4 now? I read that a translation in Cartesian plane is a rotation in the polar plane, but how do I actually do it?
Last edited by Ethan7702; 1 year ago
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...x+-+pi%2F4+%29

Ooh that's a very cool shaped graph
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks

I've tried out graphing it by sketching sec(theta) by the side, and then translating it by pi/4. This makes it much easier for me to graph it.
About the other approach quoted post, I recognize rcos(theta) as x, of course. So, in Cartesian form, its just x=1 I guess, but how do I implement replacing theta with theta - pi/4 now? I read that a translation in Cartesian plane is a rotation in the polar plane, but how do I actually do it?
I suggested in my earlier post that you can rearrange the polar equation to be r(cos(theta) + sin(theta)) = sqrt(2). From there you can substitute in cos(theta) = x/r and sin(theta) = y/r. From there it's a small step to y = mx + c.
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
also you can think of the effect of having Θ - 45º instead of just Θ .... it is a rotation of 45º of the graph of secΘ in the anticlockwise direction
Thanks
I got stuck rotating it! How do I know I have rotated it 45 degrees, or pi/4?
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
I suggested in my earlier post that you can rearrange the polar equation to be r(cos(theta) + sin(theta)) = sqrt(2). From there you can substitute in cos(theta) = x/r and sin(theta) = y/r. From there it's a small step to y = mx + c.
Thanks for your reply,
Im actually not familiar with the cos(a-b) identity as I haven't taken P3 for my As levels, but I'll look into it.

Edit: I think this is the only way I could've reached the conclusion that its linear. So for other polar graphs, should I tend to convert them to Cartesian form so that way its easier? Or do you recommend this approach for tackling sec and cosec in particular?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...x+-+pi%2F4+%29

Ooh that's a very cool shaped graph
That's not a polar plot unfortunately... By using the variables x and y you are implicitly telling Wolrfram Alpha that you want a Cartesian plot.

If we use r,theta instead we get the correct Polar plot... which is not as exciting in this case: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...a+-+pi%2F4+%29
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply,
Im actually not familiar with the cos(a-b) identity as I haven't taken P3 for my As levels, but I'll look into it.

Edit: I think this is the only way I could've reached the conclusion that its linear. So for other polar graphs, should I tend to convert them to Cartesian form so that way its easier? Or do you recommend this approach for tackling sec and cosec in particular?
I would recommend looking at conversion to cartesian form where sec and cosec are involved. Otherwise a table of values and a sketch are usually best.

By the way cos(a - b) = cosa.cosb + sina.sinb, which comes out quite simple when b = pi/4.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply,

I wouldn't recommend converting to cartesian coordinates in all cases. Sometimes this can be quite hard or time-consuming. This is a bit of a special case.

In terms of replacing theta by theta - pi/4, think about what this means on a point-to-point basis.

- to work out the r to use with an angle of 0, you would see what the r was for 0 - pi/4 = -pi/4. You can think of this as taking the -pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for an angle of 0.
- to work out the r to use with an angle of pi/2, you would see what the r was for pi/2 - pi/4 = pi/4. You can think of this as taking the pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for an angle of pi/2.
- to work out the r to use with any angle, you would see what the r was for that angle - pi/4. You can think of this as taking the angle - pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for the new angle.

In other words, replacing theta by theta - a is equivalent to rotating the original curve through an angle of a about the pole. This applies to all curves, not just this straight line.
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
I wouldn't recommend converting to cartesian coordinates in all cases. Sometimes this can be quite hard or time-consuming. This is a bit of a special case.

In terms of replacing theta by theta - pi/4, think about what this means on a point-to-point basis.

- to work out the r to use with an angle of 0, you would see what the r was for 0 - pi/4 = -pi/4. You can think of this as taking the -pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for an angle of 0.
- to work out the r to use with an angle of pi/2, you would see what the r was for pi/2 - pi/4 = pi/4. You can think of this as taking the pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for an angle of pi/2.
- to work out the r to use with any angle, you would see what the r was for that angle - pi/4. You can think of this as taking the angle - pi/4 r and rotating it by pi/4 to use it for the new angle.

In other words, replacing theta by theta - a is equivalent to rotating the original curve through an angle of a about the pole. This applies to all curves, not just this straight line.
I see.
Returning to the part where you simplified it to rcos (theta) = 1, so is that x = 1 ? also, how should I rotate now?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks
I got stuck rotating it! How do I know I have rotated it 45 degrees, or pi/4?
they are the same angle expressed in different ways.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see.
Returning to the part where you simplified it to rcos (theta) = 1, so is that x = 1 ? also, how should I rotate now?
In just the way described in the previous post - by pi/4 about the pole (origin), using the normal convention that rotations by positive amounts are snticlockwise.
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
they are the same angle expressed in different ways.
My bad, I phrased it wrongly. I meant how do I generally rotate these polar graphs(by whatever angle), I find it difficult to do.
Ethan7702
Rep:
?
In just the way described in the previous post - by pi/4 about the pole (origin), using the normal convention that rotations by positive amounts are snticlockwise.
I see. Thanks so much for giving your time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise