Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That pisses me off so much. Taxpayers have to give money to people who are lazy and does nothing.

Why has the government still not done something drastic about it?
    Of course, some of them genuinely need it if they have very bad disbilities that stops them from working.
    But the amount of people I see getting money when they dont deserve it.
    Being a junkie and not working - you get drug money from government.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16 - money for your 'baby'.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16 and the partner leaving you - even more money.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16, and getting knocked up once more - even MORE money.
    So much money are paid to these people that it discourages them from getting a job. Since if they DO get a job, they only earn a LITTLE more than if they get the benefits.

Now how can a system work like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keni)
    That pisses me off so much. Taxpayers have to give money to people who are lazy and does nothing.

Why has the government still not done something drastic about it?
    Of course, some of them genuinely need it if they have very bad disbilities that stops them from working.
    But the amount of people I see getting money when they dont deserve it.
    Being a junkie and not working - you get drug money from government.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16 - money for your 'baby'.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16 and the partner leaving you - even more money.
    Being knocked up at the age of 16, and getting knocked up once more - even MORE money.
    So much money are paid to these people that it discourages them from getting a job. Since if they DO get a job, they only earn a LITTLE more than if they get the benefits.

You don't think fathers should contribute to the child they made ? Takes two to Tango.

Your rant is very ill-informed and makes generalisations upon generalisations. All things considered I have no grievances with the welfare system (in any system there will be a minority who abuse it.)

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:

Come up with something original.

Besides, there are some people, a fair number, who get job seekers allowance after losing their job and are actively looking for another job. These people have worked and paid taxes all of their lives. They deserve a bit of support when needed.

How intimtately do you know everyone at your local jobcentre? Not very, I imagine.

Come up with something original next time you make a rant.

ReputationRep:
    no the government encourages people to get a job or enter education while using benefits, for example paying for childcare for single mothers while they go to college (they did this for my mother, i presume it hasn't changed - if it has it's ****ing disgusting).

when i was claiming dole i had to go to connexions every week and talk about how i was going to get educated, and the job centre every fortnight to talk about how i was looking for work.

i also know someone who gets heroin and methadone prescriptions for free, at less cost to the economy than allowing him to steal to fund his habit. i'm just wondering if you actually know anyone claiming benefits because you just seem to be basing your accusations on daily mail generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keni)
    It's done pretty well so far

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing Hate Poor People

ReputationRep:
    Its simple. We replace the system of welfare with an insurance system. Workers who are laid off and have to find another job get an insurance payout which lasts for a certain amount of time based on how much you have worked, and you get a payout based on how much you have put into the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Its simple. We replace the system of welfare with an insurance system. Workers who are laid off and have to find another job get an insurance payout which lasts for a certain amount of time based on how much you have worked, and you get a payout based on how much you have put into the system.
    but what about people who get laid off when they're pretty young and can't afford to live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Saurus)
    but what about people who get laid off when they're pretty young and can't afford to live
    Younger workers are more easily retrained and generally have a bit more flexibility. There are plenty of jobs, its just people aren't doing them.

ReputationRep:
    Younger workers are more easily retrained and generally have a bit more flexibility. There are plenty of jobs, its just people aren't doing them.
    that's because they don't pay a living wage and the only people who can afford to do them are people living with their parents, or eastern europeans who cram a load of people into houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    You don't think fathers should contribute to the child they made ? Takes two to Tango.

Your rant is very ill-informed and makes generalisations upon generalisations. All things considered I have no grievances with the welfare system (in any system there will be a minority who abuse it.)
    I think fathers should contibute to the child they made, and not other people patching up someone else's problem.

I know my rant is vague since it doesnt cover facts and statistics as a debate should but I just needed to get it out my system.
    Already, its harder and harder for people of next generation to pay tax as it's going to be on the increase with such a large dependant population due to reduced birth rates and longer life expectancy

(Original post by gardenknome)
    Come up with something original.

Besides, there are some people, a fair number, who get job seekers allowance after losing their job and are actively looking for another job. These people have worked and paid taxes all of their lives. They deserve a bit of support when needed.

How intimtately do you know everyone at your local jobcentre? Not very, I imagine.

Come up with something original next time you make a rant.
    What do you mean by original? because others have mentioned it before it isnt original? Every word and every statement and possibly every constructive thought you;ve had has been said before. How can you get originality?

Plus 'come up with something original' is just stupid since its still a persisting problem. So are you saying that if you cant solve the problem first time, then just forget about it?

I know SOME deserve support but as you can see I was addressing those whom slacks off knowing they could abuse the system.

I know enough to say that the people who are abusing the system are half-arsed when looking for a job.

Sorry to sound hostile but your last comment isnt worth commenting on.

Editted for typos.

ReputationRep:
    Say an 18 year old works for a year in the building trade, then gets disabled. He won't have put much into your 'system' so won't get much out. OK whilst in the future he will be able to find another job there will be a lengthy period of rehabilitation. What does this man live on till he can get back to work ?

ReputationRep:
    Thats exactly where my rant is coming from.
    Sorry if it wasn't clear.

ReputationRep:
    how many people do you actually know who claim benefits or have claimed them at some point in their lives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keni)
    I think fathers should contibute to the child they made, and not other people patching up someone else's problem.

I know my rant is vague since it doesnt cover facts and statistics as a debate should but I just needed to get it out my system.
    Already, its harder and harder for people of next generation to pay tax as it's going to be on the increase with such a large dependant population due to reduced birth rates and longer life expectancy
    The ageing population is a problem, but at the same time we need to care for them. If this means higher tax then so be it, everybody will age and need assistance.

What that has to do with the rest of the system I don't know, but the best thing to do rather than reducing benefits would be to put money into reducing abuse of benefits which in the long term would be financially advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Saurus)
    how many people do you actually know who claim benefits or have claimed them at some point in their lives?
    This group of people that were in my school. (Sorry to generalise but they were chavs)
    Especially one of them who got a girl pregnant, and she decides to keep the baby. And he's staying with her just to get the money so he can go to the arcades.

at above: Sorry, I meant to say that, since the ageing population will create such a strain. We can't afford to have people to slack off and not get jobs and not pay tax. Since that would create even more strain to the rest. Because if this (unemployment benefits etc.) isnt sorted out, it'd drive more people to not bothering with jobs and try live off benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Say an 18 year old works for a year in the building trade, then gets disabled. He won't have put much into your 'system' so won't get much out. OK whilst in the future he will be able to find another job there will be a lengthy period of rehabilitation. What does this man live on till he can get back to work ?
    Then that comes from a disability insurance plan. I thought the discussion had to do with unemployment benefit, not disability benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Benefits are a brilliant thing. Lives are ruled by business so it's good to have a fall back when a company no longer has a need for you. Obviously abuse of the system is a bad thing but that doesn't mean it should be gotten rid of.

ReputationRep:
    Then that comes from a disability insurance plan. I thought the discussion had to do with unemployment benefit, not disability benefit.
    Fair enough, I read it as being an all encompassing system. I can't read

I still think there is something wrong there, but I can't put my finger on it. It is certainly ageist... but you've already countered that

ReputationRep:
    To clarify: I don't mean to remove it totally, just drastic changes are needed to stop the exploitation of it by some.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.