The Student Room Group

Coming out of a long-term relationship.

I have been with my girlfriend for the best part of 4 years. I have to say, they have been some the best years of my life. She truly is one of my best friends but I can't help but feel unfulfilled. I'm starting to think that maybe we should continue as friends but I feel like I'm letting her down as a boyfriend. Guys, What would you do?
Reply 1
Why are you feeling unfulfilled, may I ask?

If there’s nothing that can be done to fix the issue of feeling unfulfilled, the only thing left to do is to be honest. Explain how you really feel and explain where you want to go from there.

The most important thing is that you know it’s not going to be an easy conversation and that she’s probably going to be very upset and ask a lot of questions, likely trying to figure out what happened to your feelings and trying to make sense of it. It would probably be best to have a calm and honest discussion about it, and try not to let it get heated or throw out any accusations or criticisms of her character. If you’re going to leave her regardless, there’s no need to make it so painful.

You might feel capable of being friends afterwards, but if she loves you...it’s probably not going to be healthy for her to be your best friend. Maybe in the future when she’s dating somebody else, but not straight away. You’ll need to let her heal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending