Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! - seeing as I was so bored in the holidays I went out and bourght an acoustic guitar to give me something to concentrate on. (Simply to stop myself vegitating).

Ive had it for a day and I have no idea where to start learning- do you think its possible to learn completely alone?

Any tips?

cheers in advance- Danny

ReputationRep:
    It might be beneficial to have some lessons just to make sure you're doing the basics right.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt alone. Go on some sites, look up chords like C, G, D, Em, A, Am and you can play half the pop songs you look up :]

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com is a good place to start!

Also watch videos to get the fingerings right.

ReputationRep:
    my friend did used online videos try youtube!
    cant help you more than that i know nothing about a guitar!

ReputationRep:
    Just listen to some of your favorite songs and try and work out the melodies and such. That's how i started. Then go on to learning some chords.

EDIT: Oh yeah, seeing as you've just bought it and don't know anything about guitars you might wanna check that it's in tune first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    I learnt alone. Go on some sites, look up chords like C, G, D, Em, A, Am and you can play half the pop songs you look up :]

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com is a good place to start!

Also watch videos to get the fingerings right.

Brilliant site- thanks a bunch! I can just about play "ode to joy" now from a youtube video.... without looking to! lmao

ReputationRep:
    I learnt alone. I never reached a great level, but I could play basic songs after a few years of on-off practice.
    My brother's now got my old guitar though, and he's having lessons from his next-door neighbour who's a 'semi-famous' guitarist in America; he's got to the level I finished at in only a few months; the more beneficial option I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trefusis128)
    Hey all! - seeing as I was so bored in the holidays I went out and bourght an acoustic guitar to give me something to concentrate on. (Simply to stop myself vegitating).

Ive had it for a day and I have no idea where to start learning- do you think its possible to learn completely alone?

Any tips?

cheers in advance- Danny

i taught myself electric guitar on my own, i assume acoustic wont be much different...
    just get a book which demonstrates chords and scales and you should be rockin in no time.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and BTW I can read sheet music ect- A in GCSE music on't saxaphone dont ya know.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant site- thanks a bunch! I can just about play "ode to joy" now from a youtube video.... without looking to! lmao
    Np np :] Hahaha good job, keep it up! XD

Ask the good people in the TSR Guitar society if you ever need any guitar help/advise

Also this thread should really be in the instruments and classical section

Learning a few basic chords is always a good place to start i think.
    uth =]

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly possible to learn on your own on the internet but my advice for a complete beginner would be to buy a book on the basics of playing guitar. There won't be any information in there you can't find on the web but that way you'll have it all together and in a structured, logical fashion, rather than having to pick up snippets from different websites.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and BTW I can read sheet music ect- A in GCSE music on't saxaphone dont ya know.
    the guitar is great to learn and you can teach yourself to a good level really, I did the same after my gcse's were over, altho i had been messin about with my dads for a couple of months before. hpwever, I think ur sheetmusic ability mite be hard to transfer to the guitar accurately, just warning you.

A chord book is pretty essential, they're only a fiver ofor a top quality 1 or less for a more basic one, u want to learn CAGED first, thats the chords c,a,g etc,
    Check out justin guitar.com, its really good for beginners, ive been usin it recently just to learn some new songs from

I'll put it this way, Slash is self-taught.

ReputationRep:
    This should really be in the instrumental and classical forum BUT;

It is possile to learn everything on your own, just get your self a good guitar book or two.

I had classical guitar lessons and still am for the last 5ish years but i did teach electric guitar and everything for myself so you know.

Its guite easy if you stick and it and listen to lots of different type of things.
    btw, its good you can read sax muisc but sax is tuned to B flat and guitar is to C so youll be a tone out on what ever you think it is your playing...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.