The Student Room Group

Splitting the bill- opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
Same here. It's when someone starts using their calculator on their phone to add it up the penny - it's so unnecessary and embarrassing. I've done the same thing - chucked in £50 and left them to it, the penny pinching *******s

Aye but conversely I have been in situations where I have not had much money, have chosen sparingly from the menu and then been looked upon by those who have loaded up with starter, fillet steak, pudding and coffee and then expect to split the bill equally.
:shock: nooo....

Seriously - he brought his mum...

I ended paying for the mummy's constant supplies of mango juice. :colonhash:
Then after I'd paid and provided the staff tip, he asked me for a loan.
I hear the next date did not take kindly to dating mama, emptied her wine glass over his head and left him to pay. :cool:
Original post by ByEeek
Aye but conversely I have been in situations where I have not had much money, have chosen sparingly from the menu and then been looked upon by those who have loaded up with starter, fillet steak, pudding and coffee and then expect to split the bill equally.

Yes, fair enough but I'm not advocating that someone who's clearly had much less (and particularly when it comes to alcohol) has to subsidise other people. Everyone's got a budget, and that's fair enough. I think it would be perfectly fair to estimate what you had and chuck in your 'fair share' - so long as everyone does that, and rounds it up, then there's enough at the end of the meal to cover the bill plus a tip.

It's the getting a calculator out and making a fuss part of it that I dislike. This would equally apply to someone who'd spent a fortune as it would to someone who'd been budget conscious and chosen carefully. Just estimate it, round it up and chuck your money in!
Original post by londonmyst
I ended paying for the mummy's constant supplies of mango juice. :colonhash:
Then after I'd paid and provided the staff tip, he asked me for a loan.
I hear the next date did not take kindly to dating mama, emptied her wine glass over his head and left him to pay. :cool:

How was it not an instant 180 upon first sight?
Original post by Sammylou40
As a non drinker I’m not paying for your four rounds of cocktails

What objection could you possibly have to footing the bill for my £500 sazerac cocktail x 4? :biggrin:
Then after I finished drinking cocktails at The Ritz, being my designated driver and carrying me back home.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
How was it not an instant 180 upon first sight?

His mother was probably expecting that one.
At first she stayed out of sight at another table and would have probably have followed me if I'd gone to the ladies room.
Reply 46
Original post by Alisha300
Okay so, I just watched this clip on YouTube of first dates and the woman said she didn’t want to split the bill initially because she is ‘traditional’ but after hearing about the guys situation she decided to split it. Regardless of any situation for me personally as a woman I 100% prefer splitting the bill because if I eat then that’s only fair right? Also I know a lot of people who go on about women’s right but then they think the man should pay. What are your opinions on this? I’m curious :smile:

Link to Clip> https://youtu.be/uhl3-Y1H2js (you can skip to 0:50)

You know what the worst thing about clips like those are? [and there's been others]

Is that prior to the date, both parties get £20-£30 pounds to put towards the bill, and you STILL get some women on there refusing to pay anything and kicking up a massive fuss. Meaning they want their male date to be out of pocket at the end of the night, whilst they've come out of the encounter £20-£30 richer.
His mother was probably expecting that one.
At first she stayed out of sight at another table and would have probably have followed me if I'd gone to the ladies room.

As soon as I saw anything like that I would be out faster than a badger in Somerset.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
As soon as I saw anything like that I would be out faster than a badger in Somerset.

Have you ever had a date bring a parent along instead of their wallet? :tongue:
Have you ever had a date bring a parent along instead of their wallet? :tongue:

No, I'm not sure it is too common.
What objection could you possibly have to footing the bill for my £500 sazerac cocktail x 4? :biggrin:
Then after I finished drinking cocktails at The Ritz, being my designated driver and carrying me back home.

Designated driver and carrying you home is my forte x
who ever asked the other out to eat, should be the one to pay. this is for first dates and stuff.

once it's the dating stage and stuff, I wouldn't mind splitting the bill I think.

once I'm married, I prefer to not pay any bills.
Yes, fair enough but I'm not advocating that someone who's clearly had much less (and particularly when it comes to alcohol) has to subsidise other people. Everyone's got a budget, and that's fair enough. I think it would be perfectly fair to estimate what you had and chuck in your 'fair share' - so long as everyone does that, and rounds it up, then there's enough at the end of the meal to cover the bill plus a tip.

It's the getting a calculator out and making a fuss part of it that I dislike. This would equally apply to someone who'd spent a fortune as it would to someone who'd been budget conscious and chosen carefully. Just estimate it, round it up and chuck your money in!

Agreed. I also love your comment about man's work earlier.
Reply 53
Original post by Leviathan1611
who ever asked the other out to eat, should be the one to pay. this is for first dates and stuff.

once it's the dating stage and stuff, I wouldn't mind splitting the bill I think.

once I'm married, I prefer to not pay any bills.

So what should happen on the show where technically no one asked anyone out as it was a blind date?

and I also don't agree with the one who asks should pay, as lets face it ... most women don't ask men out on dates and just wait for the guy to ask meaning they'll never pay. How many men have you asked out on dates?
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. I also love your comment about man's work earlier.

Thank you :smile:
I think in this day and age it is not uncommon or unreasonable to split the bill.
Original post by ANM775
So what should happen on the show where technically no one asked anyone out as it was a blind date?

and I also don't agree with the one who asks should pay, as lets face it ... most women don't ask men out on dates and just wait for the guy to ask meaning they'll never pay. How many men have you asked out on dates?

They’ve applied to go on. It’s not a surprise. They should fully expect to cough up.
Original post by ANM775

in my own opinion, the men should pay, I have a traditional mindset so I think the men should provide.

well he is asking her out on a date, meaning he's asking her for her time which could be better spent elsewhere but she agreed to spend her time with him, therefore he should pay for the date. likewise if it was the girl asking a guy out on a date.

zero, I don't ask guys out, various reasons, of they don't like me and say no, it'd be very embarrassing, I don't want to pay for a man, I find that weird. I'd only do that if they were my boyfriend or husband.
Original post by Sammylou40
They’ve applied to go on. It’s not a surprise. They should fully expect to cough up.

fair point 👍
For me on a first date it depends on how the date went. If I don’t want to see him again then in no way will I let him pay - I pay my half as a minimum then I can walk away and not feel bad. If I want to see him again and he says he wants to pay, then I let him, but only on the proviso that I can pay next time..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending