The Student Room Group

Depressing Summer

It's only been a couple of days yet I'm already feeling depressed as hell about Summer.
I have nothing to do and no one to see.
I split up with my boyfriend and I don't really have many friends, the only ones I do have I can't really hang out with because all they do is take drugs and get drunk and are boys (I'm a girl so it feel awkward anyway) and I don't get on with girls very well.
I've tried looking for a job but I live in a small place and there's nothing going. The nearest town is pretty useless aswell.
There's never anything going on here either, so I can't just go out and meet people.
I'm really quite shy and get nervous being around new people anyway.
I'm 17, I'm going to Uni in '09 which I cannot wait for, but until then I've got a summer and another year of VI Form.
I'm just dreading spending this whole Summer doing nothing whatsoever, there seems to be no point in getting out of bed :frown:

Scroll to see replies

You could get a job
Write a novel
Exercise
Self improvement
Read books
Watch movies
Join a club
Sit in the park and sunbathe
Go shopping
Go out for a girly day with your mum
Make friends again with your boyfriend
Have people round yours for the night with strictly no drink/drugs allowed (movie/takeaway night maybe?)
Volunteer
Reply 2
i can sympathise. but i don't really know what to say. experienced the same thing myself numerous times. i guess i could just say the same old stuff - find a hobby and whatnot. i think keeping occupied does help though.

feel free to pm me if you like.
Or hang around on TSR more ^^.
But dont worry, many more, including me, are in the same boat as you.
Try doing something productive...

Find some clubs in your local area? you could meet some new friends through that...

Or try reading a book, do some volentering work or something.

Basicaly, your summer will be as posative as you want it to be
Look for coach trips. They're cheap and fun :smile:
Just don't go on any trips to the seaside with old ladies. Those trips scare me, the bus is a whirlwind of false teeth and the good old days.

There are always trips going to theme parls and stuff though, invite a friend or your mum or something and go have a fun day out :smile:
Reply 6
If you were not anon I'd buy you a sub :smile: PM me if you want it!
Anon, is it possible you could send me a PM please. I can help you as I have a story to tell you but do not wish to openly show on here. I think I could help you as I have often felt like that and could offer a solution. You are exactly my age and I also lost my GF (In your case BF)
Reply 8
Anonymous
It's only been a couple of days yet I'm already feeling depressed as hell about Summer.
I have nothing to do and no one to see.
I split up with my boyfriend and I don't really have many friends, the only ones I do have I can't really hang out with because all they do is take drugs and get drunk and are boys (I'm a girl so it feel awkward anyway) and I don't get on with girls very well.
I've tried looking for a job but I live in a small place and there's nothing going. The nearest town is pretty useless aswell.
There's never anything going on here either, so I can't just go out and meet people.
I'm really quite shy and get nervous being around new people anyway.
I'm 17, I'm going to Uni in '09 which I cannot wait for, but until then I've got a summer and another year of VI Form.
I'm just dreading spending this whole Summer doing nothing whatsoever, there seems to be no point in getting out of bed :frown:

Oh yes, the summer blues....join the club :frown:

I feel like my brain cells are dying away, and NO i have not been doing drugs or alcohol :P

It's just you get these breaks so rarely, and when they come, you realize, my life is my work/college....
at least for me :frown:

*pops a pill*
Spanishdream
Anon, is it possible you could send me a PM please. I can help you as I have a story to tell you but do not wish to openly show on here. I think I could help you as I have often felt like that and could offer a solution. You are exactly my age and I also lost my GF (In your case BF)

If it's suicide then DON'T LISTEN OP!!

Anyways, you could go on a summer course, there may still be places available on things like Drama Summer Schools - CSSD and Sylvia Young do particularly awesome ones. Or you could just spend the time improving yourself through reading, self-teaching a new language, exercise, and excessive TV watching.

And btw OP you are also describing my ideal summer - I want to have sod all to do! :frown:
Reply 10
Start up a web blog, and make some money :biggrin:
Audrey Hepburn
If it's suicide then DON'T LISTEN OP!!

Anyways, you could go on a summer course, there may still be places available on things like Drama Summer Schools - CSSD and Sylvia Young do particularly awesome ones. Or you could just spend the time improving yourself through reading, self-teaching a new language, exercise, and excessive TV watching.

And btw OP you are also describing my ideal summer - I want to have sod all to do! :frown:

No it is not suicide. Just to clear that up. :mad:
Spanishdream
No it is not suicide. Just to clear that up. :mad:

Sorry, doesn't hurt to make sure :ninja:
Audrey, apoligies for the angry face. I actually meant to put a smiley one.
Reply 14
I'm so bored of summer already, after one day. Up till now I've been working, but all this week there is nothing to do :frown:
Spanishdream
Audrey, apoligies for the angry face. I actually meant to put a smiley one.

:biggrin: S'alright duck
Reply 16
I'm bored too. I've even been doing stuff (going back to help out with younger years in school, working, clubbing), but I just feel like there's a bit of a massive void in my life. I feel so bloody empty!

10 weeks left before I go to Uni. I don't know how I'm going to cope with such a vacuous existence until then.
Reply 17
I used to live in Delhi out in the country which may sound amazing, but in fact I had some of my worst summers there. I was stuck in a house with no friends, not even any internet :eek:
Now I'm back from Glasgow working for the summer in Dublin, where I have 2.5 friends. Yep, 2 1/2, because one comes out half the time. A little bit depressing yes, but I keep going because I know I'll be in Glasgow in a few weeks having the time of my life. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Watch TV & play computer games, thats what ive been doing the last month lol. Starting work today though so tht should change things a little
learn to play guitar or something, so you have something to show for your summer afterwards, and when people ask it will sound a lot better than reading.
Would be a good way to make new friends as well.

But yeah, lots of people have depressing summers, even if they haave lots of friends, cos people go on holidays at different times and stuff.
Dont worry bout it, its compeltely normal

Latest

Trending

Trending