Turn on thread page Beta

Depressing Summer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out there!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It's only been a couple of days yet I'm already feeling depressed as hell about Summer.
    I have nothing to do and no one to see.
    I split up with my boyfriend and I don't really have many friends, the only ones I do have I can't really hang out with because all they do is take drugs and get drunk and are boys (I'm a girl so it feel awkward anyway) and I don't get on with girls very well.
    I've tried looking for a job but I live in a small place and there's nothing going. The nearest town is pretty useless aswell.
    There's never anything going on here either, so I can't just go out and meet people.
    I'm really quite shy and get nervous being around new people anyway.
    I'm 17, I'm going to Uni in '09 which I cannot wait for, but until then I've got a summer and another year of VI Form.
    I'm just dreading spending this whole Summer doing nothing whatsoever, there seems to be no point in getting out of bed
    this actully sounds like me.
    I'm more or less in the same situation as you with the whole summer thing. I've been dreading the hols since like march and i've have since the start of july off.
    To get me through it i've got some books on the subject i want to read at uni and they distract me and stop me thinking from other things.. such as my depression..
    Do you have a charity shop around? Try volunteering in that, it only has to be once a week but it will get you out and perhaps meet new people.. even if they are old dears!!
    Someone suggested coach trips, to expand on that how about train trips (depending on where you live) but to like London or Oxford or something like that. Either by yourself or with your mum.
    You said your shy, do you like your own company? I'm very shy and i just liek being left to it and being by myself.. but there are times when i need to go out with some people but yer.
    Try and find something you enjoy.. are you musical, sporty, drama?? If not maybe join your sports club or something.

Just try and find somehting to take your mind of things, even if it is to slob infront of the tele!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I've taken up the keyboard, I'm going to attempt to write my own novel as well... my parents are putting pressure on me to get a job, but the nearest available is at least four miles away, there's no bus stop within a mile and a half, and I can't drive. Oh, and scrabble... I've discovered a hitherto unknown talent for scrabble (and having the luck to draw the blanks in every game).

ReputationRep:
    How about cycling? I cycle 6 miles to my job (and 6 back up a hill...)
    Especially nice during the summer when the weather isn't awful.
    Keeps you fit and busy. And gets you money.
    Go do it.

Thank you all for some very good suggestions

I'm going to go and volunteer at a charity shop for maybe a day or two a week, and I also got my provisional through this morning so I've booked my first driving lesson :woo: scary stuff haha.
    I think we should keep this thread open

xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.