UCAS Reference/Application Regarding Mental Health Issues

Watch
Theostrouble
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi TSR,

I'm reapplying to University this year, having applied 3 years ago. As such, I am applying as an individual and mature student.

The issue I am having is with my reference. Due to mental health issues I haven't been in formal education or employment for the last 3 years, so I don't have anyone in an academic sense who could give me a reference.

My question is whether a medical professional would be able to write my reference? In this instance it would be an Occupational Therapist I have worked with for over 18 months.

Would it be

a) appropriate for them to write a reference?

b) A good opportunity to explain my mental health issues? (and therefore my reasoning for applying to university at this time)

If so, do you think this should impact the degree to which I discuss my mental health difficulties in my personal statement?

Any advice would be fantastic!
hecti001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, it can work if he writes it i guess. But your relationship to him will matter I guess. If it's your formal employer, I think it could work. I don't know what type of work you did with him. If the work you did with him is in relation to one of the course you're applying to, you should make sure he mentions it.
Go look at mature applications advices on internet, I am sure you are not the first one in this case.
And you can contact UCAS or the universities you are applying to for advices.
Normally, it's a teacher who writes the reference, but I know universities are very comprehensive with student who had problems or disabilities. As long as your case is clearly explained in your application, I'm sure it'll work out great.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Theostrouble)
Hi TSR,

I'm reapplying to University this year, having applied 3 years ago. As such, I am applying as an individual and mature student.

The issue I am having is with my reference. Due to mental health issues I haven't been in formal education or employment for the last 3 years, so I don't have anyone in an academic sense who could give me a reference.

My question is whether a medical professional would be able to write my reference? In this instance it would be an Occupational Therapist I have worked with for over 18 months.

Would it be

a) appropriate for them to write a reference?

b) A good opportunity to explain my mental health issues? (and therefore my reasoning for applying to university at this time)

If so, do you think this should impact the degree to which I discuss my mental health difficulties in my personal statement?

Any advice would be fantastic!
Hi there!

As you probably are already aware, the UCAS application preference is academic or professional references.If possible I would hunt down the contacts that would potentially get you these references. Most previous employers are happy to provide references, same with previous academics from various institutions.

Failing that, if there is no one else, an Occupational Therapist could provide a reference for you.

Hope this helps!

Robyn

:rave:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (462)
56.62%
I don't have everything I need (354)
43.38%

Watched Threads