Should i stop

Watch
Lightskinbrudda
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So ny friend said he wanted to start gym and i sair bet. He said he would go oct holidays but hr didnt. Gave him a chance. He said hed go christmas holidays and hes gonna get a membership next week.

Ive been persuading gim and telling him how he ould easily gain weight fast and im gonna start him with the 5x5 novice program. However idk if hes gonna turn up. Should i just stop forcing him. Feel like he should do it out if his own choice but in tryn be a friend and want a training partner.
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lightskinbrudda)
So ny friend said he wanted to start gym and i sair bet. He said he would go oct holidays but hr didnt. Gave him a chance. He said hed go christmas holidays and hes gonna get a membership next week.

Ive been persuading gim and telling him how he ould easily gain weight fast and im gonna start him with the 5x5 novice program. However idk if hes gonna turn up. Should i just stop forcing him. Feel like he should do it out if his own choice but in tryn be a friend and want a training partner.
I understand that it's much more fun with a training partner, but from what it sounds like, he doesn't seem to want to do it, but as you are so eager to do it with him, he is too polite to say no.

It's better to just leave him be, as it would be even MORE awkward if you successfully forced him to do it - he wouldn't even wanna be there, so he wouldn't be an effective training partner anyway.

You even admitted yourself that you are forcing him to do it, but if he keeps putting it off, then STOP before your friendship goes dooooownhill
Lightskinbrudda
Rep:
?
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
I understand that it's much more fun with a training partner, but from what it sounds like, he doesn't seem to want to do it, but as you are so eager to do it with him, he is too polite to say no.

It's better to just leave him be, as it would be even MORE awkward if you successfully forced him to do it - he wouldn't even wanna be there, so he wouldn't be an effective training partner anyway.

You even admitted yourself that you are forcing him to do it, but if he keeps putting it off, then STOP before your friendship goes dooooownhill
Ye ig. The thought of both of us in the future lifting heavy af sounds cool. Im like the only 1 who goes gym in my group and i wanna talk about it to some1 yk.
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Find another training partner?
Lightskinbrudda
Rep:
?
(Original post by study beats)
Find another training partner?
Only go to the gym like once a week with this 1 guy rest im alone. We finish college diff times so we cant agree on a time. Ill try go with him more often
username4762440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I had this issue last year. Friend was my gym buddy but towards the end of the year she started going less and less. It was a little....sad...cannot think of the right word right now but basically, I remember feeling a little down and stopped going as much. Looking back on it, as much as I wanted a buddy and as useful as it is to have one, you really cannot stop your progress because others are. Go alone, workout because it is important.

You might find a new buddy, you might not, don't stop going and just ask him nicely if he just doesn't want to go anymore. It would be nice to have him outright say "cba" than to wait for him like this. I get your frustration.
Last edited by username4762440; 10 months ago
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Maybe he just wants to do it alone?? Ik if I ever went to the gym, I’d prefer to go alone rather than with friends
username5010754
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’ve tried to get friends to go to the gym before and most have adamantly refused or picked it up for a month or so and then slowly slacked off. The motivation and commitment will have to come from them as an inner decision they make to pursue this path. You’ve done all you can, you’ve lit the path, it’s up to them to follow it.
Lightskinbrudda
Rep:
?
I aint gonna stop going. Just wondering if its worth harassing him more to go or not. Not gonna remind him again if he wants to then that's calm. If he says cba ill just be like aight and forget it. Ive still got motivation to go for other reasons so i dont reallt need a gyn partner
(Original post by OR321)
Maybe he just wants to do it alone?? Ik if I ever went to the gym, I’d prefer to go alone rather than with friends
Hes never set foot in a gym. So he needs some1 to explain things and help him with the program. God i wished i knew everything ik rn when i started. First 2 months i did jack ****. Bad form and minimal gains.
Lightskinbrudda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
I’ve tried to get friends to go to the gym before and most have adamantly refused or picked it up for a month or so and then slowly slacked off. The motivation and commitment will have to come from them as an inner decision they make to pursue this path. You’ve done all you can, you’ve lit the path, it’s up to them to follow it.
My exact thoughts. If he really wants to then he should put the effort in

I had nobody forcing me to go or help me at start with form and diet. So he should consider himself lucky.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.68%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (525)
48.7%

Watched Threads