naeology
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi there! I thought I’d create this thread to meet others applying to study either Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or a combination of the three.

My names Dani, and I’ve applied to study Japanese at: Sheffield, Durham, Manchester, SOAS, and UCLAN (Asia Pacific Studies and Japanese). I’m predicted AAB

Update: Received offers from
UCLan 05/12/19
Invite for interview from Manchester on 16/12/19
Sheffield on 19/12/19
Durham on 23/01/20
SOAS 27/01/20
Manchester 20/02/20

(Application was sent off on 05/12/19)

Looking forward to getting to know all of you
Last edited by naeology; 3 days ago
Oniramma
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya! My names Ella and I applied to exactly the same universities last year as you. I study Asia Pacific And Japanese joint hons. I decided to go to UCLan and found that it is much better than Manchester from some friends who study there.
Sheffield is a good university, however be prepared to get piles and piles of work from them. I had them as my first choice uni and I got ABB - I was rejected. I know UCLan isn’t a Russell group like those, but if you’re looking for a top language school and surround yourself in Asian culture, then definitely consider UCLan. I’m not a rep or anything but I wish that I thought more highly of UCLan than I did in your position. Find good accommodation (not Roeburn halls or Ribble Halls) preferable a private accommodation which is a similar price to the uni owned ones, and you’re good!
If you’re looking for one language, I suggest Asia Pacific (for history based) or TESOL (teaching based), Modern Languages, or international business plus a language. You can pick up other languages as electives once you’ve chosen your course. My friend is doing all three languages! They also offer Rosetta Stone for free as long as you are a student. There are many culture and food festivals too as UCLan is noted for their language and worldwide centre.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions
naeology
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Oniramma)
Hiya! My names Ella and I applied to exactly the same universities last year as you. I study Asia Pacific And Japanese joint hons. I decided to go to UCLan and found that it is much better than Manchester from some friends who study there.
Sheffield is a good university, however be prepared to get piles and piles of work from them. I had them as my first choice uni and I got ABB - I was rejected. I know UCLan isn’t a Russell group like those, but if you’re looking for a top language school and surround yourself in Asian culture, then definitely consider UCLan. I’m not a rep or anything but I wish that I thought more highly of UCLan than I did in your position. Find good accommodation (not Roeburn halls or Ribble Halls) preferable a private accommodation which is a similar price to the uni owned ones, and you’re good!
If you’re looking for one language, I suggest Asia Pacific (for history based) or TESOL (teaching based), Modern Languages, or international business plus a language. You can pick up other languages as electives once you’ve chosen your course. My friend is doing all three languages! They also offer Rosetta Stone for free as long as you are a student. There are many culture and food festivals too as UCLan is noted for their language and worldwide centre.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions
Hi Ella! Thank you so much for replying! I’m really torn between UCLan and Sheffield at the moment. Out of all the universities I applied to the modules at UCLan and Sheffield appeal to me the most, UCLan more so than Sheffield if I’m entirely honest, but there’s definitely a pressure to go to a Russell Group uni. What’s it like at UCLan and do you know what you want to do after your degree? I never got to visit because it’s a bit far for me, but I’m seriously considering it over Manchester and Durham
Oniramma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
Hi Ella! Thank you so much for replying! I’m really torn between UCLan and Sheffield at the moment. Out of all the universities I applied to the modules at UCLan and Sheffield appeal to me the most, UCLan more so than Sheffield if I’m entirely honest, but there’s definitely a pressure to go to a Russell Group uni. What’s it like at UCLan and do you know what you want to do after your degree? I never got to visit because it’s a bit far for me, but I’m seriously considering it over Manchester and Durham
I was torn too. I really loved Sheffield and I was prepared to do anything to get in, but the course at UCLan is amazing. It covers history, geography, politics, culture and conflict within the Asia Pacific. Sheffield less so, although it is Russell group, you will need AAB at least to get in since my ABB wasn’t enough. Where are you from? I travelled from Oxfordshire to Preston, it’s about 3 hours, more if you stop of course.
Although Russell groups are considered the best and I don’t doubt Sheffield isn’t good, but you need to look at what you’re interested in and the right course rather than the Russell group status - it is literally just a status and in my opinion, doesn’t affect the way you learn.
With my degree, I can do translation between language, a guide (say if I lived in japan, I would tour English speakers) translation also comes under companies who need international yet fluent speaks to communicate world wide. Also if you’re considering Japanese in particular, having a degree in anything to do with it will get you employed almost anywhere in japan as they need the staff, especially diversity! Saying that, you can stay in the UK and work in museums, documentaries, travel whatever!
UCLan is good for me, they give you plenty of breaks called “reflection” weeks = no classes, the accommodation could be better so I would recommend private ones, however most are the same prices and same distance from campus!
You also get assigned a tutor (a lecturer you know) which you can visit any time if you are struggling.

Please ask any more question if you need it!
naeology
Rep:
?
I was torn too. I really loved Sheffield and I was prepared to do anything to get in, but the course at UCLan is amazing. It covers history, geography, politics, culture and conflict within the Asia Pacific. Sheffield less so, although it is Russell group, you will need AAB at least to get in since my ABB wasn’t enough. Where are you from? I travelled from Oxfordshire to Preston, it’s about 3 hours, more if you stop of course.
Although Russell groups are considered the best and I don’t doubt Sheffield isn’t good, but you need to look at what you’re interested in and the right course rather than the Russell group status - it is literally just a status and in my opinion, doesn’t affect the way you learn.
With my degree, I can do translation between language, a guide (say if I lived in japan, I would tour English speakers) translation also comes under companies who need international yet fluent speaks to communicate world wide. Also if you’re considering Japanese in particular, having a degree in anything to do with it will get you employed almost anywhere in japan as they need the staff, especially diversity! Saying that, you can stay in the UK and work in museums, documentaries, travel whatever!
UCLan is good for me, they give you plenty of breaks called “reflection” weeks = no classes, the accommodation could be better so I would recommend private ones, however most are the same prices and same distance from campus!
You also get assigned a tutor (a lecturer you know) which you can visit any time if you are struggling.

Please ask any more question if you need it!
The course at UCLan looks really interesting, and your right, the course matters so much more than the status. ABB is really good by the way! And I’m from London so it’s about a 4 hour drive away which isn’t too bad I guess, I’ll probably still go to the applicants day and check it out. I think I’ll end up putting Sheffield as my firm and UCLan as my insurance, but I’m definitely going to look back over the modules for each. What made you pick Japanese?
Oniramma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
The course at UCLan looks really interesting, and your right, the course matters so much more than the status. ABB is really good by the way! And I’m from London so it’s about a 4 hour drive away which isn’t too bad I guess, I’ll probably still go to the applicants day and check it out. I think I’ll end up putting Sheffield as my firm and UCLan as my insurance, but I’m definitely going to look back over the modules for each. What made you pick Japanese?
Goodluck with Sheffield, they are quite strict! The city in Sheffield definitely seems much better than Preston, but once you’ve stayed in Preston for a while, it’s not bad at all and the night life and shops are all the same!
I’ve always wanted to do history and European history was super boring to me; I’ve looked into Asian history and found that I love it, the language is poetic and obviously their history is more highly valued. The course I do is only offered as a joint hons so Japanese it was! I did plan to learn Japanese at a degree level to help me get a job over there since the language barrier is the main reason people fail to get employed. I also learn Chinese on the side. What do you think you’ll do?
naeology
Rep:
?
Goodluck with Sheffield, they are quite strict! The city in Sheffield definitely seems much better than Preston, but once you’ve stayed in Preston for a while, it’s not bad at all and the night life and shops are all the same!
I’ve always wanted to do history and European history was super boring to me; I’ve looked into Asian history and found that I love it, the language is poetic and obviously their history is more highly valued. The course I do is only offered as a joint hons so Japanese it was! I did plan to learn Japanese at a degree level to help me get a job over there since the language barrier is the main reason people fail to get employed. I also learn Chinese on the side. What do you think you’ll do?
I enjoy history too, but for some reason European/ British didn’t really gel with me. Asian history felt so much more epic, and instantly knew I wanted to do something do with the Asian Pacific region. But for me I always knew it was going to Japanese, the literature and history drew me in. My main focus has always been Japan but I’d love to learn more about China and Korea as well. I’m thinking of doing an international relations post grad, and maybe going into diplomacy, but I’m still not sure. How’s learning Chinese going?
Oniramma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
I enjoy history too, but for some reason European/ British didn’t really gel with me. Asian history felt so much more epic, and instantly knew I wanted to do something do with the Asian Pacific region. But for me I always knew it was going to Japanese, the literature and history drew me in. My main focus has always been Japan but I’d love to learn more about China and Korea as well. I’m thinking of doing an international relations post grad, and maybe going into diplomacy, but I’m still not sure. How’s learning Chinese going?
Which course did you apply for at Sheffield? If it’s history and Japanese then it won’t be specific to Asia - that’s why Asia Pacific and Japanese at uclan was better for me. I’m probably going to do international relations postgrad too, maybe in japan if I get a scholar ship when I study there next year!
Chinese is difficult, but Japanese has that extra edge to it, not sure how to describe it, maybe it’s the 3 alphabet thing, but the kanji is obviously similar if not the same.
naeology
Rep:
?
Which course did you apply for at Sheffield? If it’s history and Japanese then it won’t be specific to Asia - that’s why Asia Pacific and Japanese at uclan was better for me. I’m probably going to do international relations postgrad too, maybe in japan if I get a scholar ship when I study there next year!
Chinese is difficult, but Japanese has that extra edge to it, not sure how to describe it, maybe it’s the 3 alphabet thing, but the kanji is obviously similar if not the same.
I applied for just Japanese Studies, because the history and Japanese degree was basically history on its own and minimal Japanese. There are literally no cultural modules.

I’d love to learn Chinese but the tones go right over my head.
Oniramma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
I applied for just Japanese Studies, because the history and Japanese degree was basically history on its own and minimal Japanese. There are literally no cultural modules.

I’d love to learn Chinese but the tones go right over my head.
Are you happy just taking Japanese on it’s own because it’s a Russell group?
The tones are quite difficult yeah, I only do it on the side (one a week for 2 hours) with a test at the end of the year
naeology
Rep:
?
Are you happy just taking Japanese on it’s own because it’s a Russell group?
The tones are quite difficult yeah, I only do it on the side (one a week for 2 hours) with a test at the end of the year
It’s like you read my mind 😅 I always felt like if I did just Japanese at a non-Russel group uni it wouldn’t be enough, but somehow the thought of doing just Japanese at a Russel group is better though I still feel anxious about it. I would have wanted to combine it with Korean but at Sheffield Korean would be the major and I’d prefer it the other way around. I could do it at SOAS but I don’t want to stay in London, and I’m not sure what the split is like in UCLan
Oniramma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
It’s like you read my mind 😅 I always felt like if I did just Japanese at a non-Russel group uni it wouldn’t be enough, but somehow the thought of doing just Japanese at a Russel group is better though I still feel anxious about it. I would have wanted to combine it with Korean but at Sheffield Korean would be the major and I’d prefer it the other way around. I could do it at SOAS but I don’t want to stay in London, and I’m not sure what the split is like in UCLan
I see what you mean, but you can’t think that something isn’t enough. I was in the same position a year ago and I wanted to do something great and impress people, but ended up here but I love it. Language courses learn the same things across all universities and the teaching is mostly the same so I wasn’t worried about uclan after a few weeks despite wanting Sheffield.
The Modern Languages degree has an even split between the language, Japanese and Korean is available with the opportunity to learn a third language later if you’re capable
anton_ellis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I'm Anton

I applied to Durham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle and SOAS for Japanese (and Japanese Studies where just the language was not available) with ABB and A* in Japanese GCSE. I have got offers from everywhere except SOAS which is so frustrating as it is my top pick!! I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from SOAS?
naeology
Rep:
?
I see what you mean, but you can’t think that something isn’t enough. I was in the same position a year ago and I wanted to do something great and impress people, but ended up here but I love it. Language courses learn the same things across all universities and the teaching is mostly the same so I wasn’t worried about uclan after a few weeks despite wanting Sheffield.
The Modern Languages degree has an even split between the language, Japanese and Korean is available with the opportunity to learn a third language later if you’re capable
In terms of what I want from my degree UCLan is absolutely perfect, I’m definitely just goi to research a little more about both UCLan and Sheffield so I make the best possible decision. Thank you so much for your insight, because until you talk to students at the unis you’ve applied to you don’t really fully grasp how it might be to study there, and UCLan is really appealing to me at the moment
naeology
Rep:
?
(Original post by anton_ellis)
Hi I'm Anton

I applied to Durham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle and SOAS for Japanese (and Japanese Studies where just the language was not available) with ABB and A* in Japanese GCSE. I have got offers from everywhere except SOAS which is so frustrating as it is my top pick!! I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from SOAS?
Hey! I’m still waiting to hear back from SOAS as well. When did your application get sent off??
anton_ellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
Hey! I’m still waiting to hear back from SOAS as well. When did your application get sent off??
Early October ):
naeology
Rep:
?
Early October ):
Woah, that is quite early... try not to worry though, I’ve heard they take quite long to reply. You have really good predicted grades so it’s probably because they have a lot of applicants Why Soas as your first choice, if you don’t mind me asking?
anton_ellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dani—)
Woah, that is quite early... try not to worry though, I’ve heard they take quite long to reply. You have really good predicted grades so it’s probably because they have a lot of applicants Why Soas as your first choice, if you don’t mind me asking?
Year you're probably right. Its my top pick because I want to live in London mainly.
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I'm Anton

(Original post by Dani—)
They usually do take a very long time to give out offers unfortunately, but don't take it as a bad sign I'm second year doing Korean at SOAS so if you have any questions let me know!
tigerchina35
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone applied for Chinese/Chinese Studies?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads