The Student Room Group

Chinese/ Japanese/ Korean Studies Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Hello, my name is Jack and I have 2 conditionals. One for uclan and another for St.Johns. Though uclan is my primary choice without a doubt, since I adore being in Preston. I've visited friends who live there so I know the place off the back of my hand now, which is great. Is there many other people who are doing Japanese - East asian studies? I read through the entire thread but I thought I may as well say something to see if I can talk to some people before the year starts :smile:
Original post by faytexo
Hello, my name is Jack and I have 2 conditionals. One for uclan and another for St.Johns. Though uclan is my primary choice without a doubt, since I adore being in Preston. I've visited friends who live there so I know the place off the back of my hand now, which is great. Is there many other people who are doing Japanese - East asian studies? I read through the entire thread but I thought I may as well say something to see if I can talk to some people before the year starts :smile:

Yeah Preston is a nice place and they’re doing building improvements right now! There are about 150 people doing Asia Pacific studies, but I would say 70% do Korean, 29% Japanese and 1% Chinese
Original post by Oniramma
Yeah Preston is a nice place and they’re doing building improvements right now! There are about 150 people doing Asia Pacific studies, but I would say 70% do Korean, 29% Japanese and 1% Chinese

Not gonna lie that is a lot less people doing Chinese than I would have thought. I had a look at the online map that they sent out in an email showing off the things that they are adding to the campus. It'll be nice. It is really surprising to see Korean be so high up in the chain though! I was thinking of taking Korean as an optional to be honest.
Original post by faytexo
Not gonna lie that is a lot less people doing Chinese than I would have thought. I had a look at the online map that they sent out in an email showing off the things that they are adding to the campus. It'll be nice. It is really surprising to see Korean be so high up in the chain though! I was thinking of taking Korean as an optional to be honest.

Yeah it’s starting to look really nice :smile: The university have many connections to Confucianism so most things are central to Chinese even though not many people take it. You can take languages as an elective to fill up your credits or take it on the side as a certificate. They also give free Rosetta Stone!
What would you personally recommend doing? Credits or certificate?
Hey, fellow applicants for Chinese/Japanese/Korean! I hope everyone is happy with all the offers they have received! This is the period where we either get to consolidate where we want to go for the next four years (three because of the year abroad) or if you're like me, I seem to have embodied the spirit of a headless chicken, going back and forth more times than a yo-yo.

So I've got offers from Sheffield, Manchester, SOAS and Durham (Got a rejection from Oxford because I'm not doing A Levels but that's a whole different ballpark that I buried in the past) and I find myself going all over the place in terms of where I think might be best for me, as for a while I was thinking Sheffield but I don't know now as I feel like I may have a slight bias seeing as Sheffield is Yorkshire based like I am and it's a city that, compared to where the other unis are, I have had time to visit and experience more in general. At this point, I'm not sure what to do and I guess my concerns are whether I'll feel this discombobulated after the post-offer open days that all the universities offer to prospective students.

I suppose the question is, with all of them I can see the individual pros and cons so I just want to know going into the open days what I should maybe focus on looking into whilst I am there and have the opportunity to explore and ask questions. Any advice would be helpful and if anyone has any uni specific advice that'd be an extra bonus which I would really appreciate.

Thank you!
Original post by faytexo
What would you personally recommend doing? Credits or certificate?

I do both as you have to fill your credits up (doesn’t have to be a language) and doing the certificate is optional and separate from your degree
Original post by Oniramma
I do both as you have to fill your credits up (doesn’t have to be a language) and doing the certificate is optional and separate from your degree

Oh! Well thank you for letting me know :') this uni stuff really has my mind in a twist.
Hey squad :smile: I've applied for Japanese and business at Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle, and straight Japanese at Durham and Cambridge. I now have conditional offers from all of them so pretty gassed about that!!
Reply 89
Original post by Maolalala
Hi, can I ask how long it took for you to receive your offer from SOAS after your application changed to the ‘with the academic review team’ status? xx

Do you also learn Chinese?
Hello, I've applied for Tesol with Chinese at Manchester metropolitan, York St John's and uclan. I have also applied to just Chinese at Sheffield.
Anyone else??
Original post by DancingCactuar
Hey, fellow applicants for Chinese/Japanese/Korean! I hope everyone is happy with all the offers they have received! This is the period where we either get to consolidate where we want to go for the next four years (three because of the year abroad) or if you're like me, I seem to have embodied the spirit of a headless chicken, going back and forth more times than a yo-yo.

So I've got offers from Sheffield, Manchester, SOAS and Durham (Got a rejection from Oxford because I'm not doing A Levels but that's a whole different ballpark that I buried in the past) and I find myself going all over the place in terms of where I think might be best for me, as for a while I was thinking Sheffield but I don't know now as I feel like I may have a slight bias seeing as Sheffield is Yorkshire based like I am and it's a city that, compared to where the other unis are, I have had time to visit and experience more in general. At this point, I'm not sure what to do and I guess my concerns are whether I'll feel this discombobulated after the post-offer open days that all the universities offer to prospective students.

I suppose the question is, with all of them I can see the individual pros and cons so I just want to know going into the open days what I should maybe focus on looking into whilst I am there and have the opportunity to explore and ask questions. Any advice would be helpful and if anyone has any uni specific advice that'd be an extra bonus which I would really appreciate.

Thank you!

Original post by bela8910
Hello, I've applied for Tesol with Chinese at Manchester metropolitan, York St John's and uclan. I have also applied to just Chinese at Sheffield.
Anyone else??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2482917481835113/

Feel free to join our group chat for people doing East Asia related courses at Sheffield!
hey~~ hope everyone is well :biggrin: I've applied for Japanese at Durham, Leeds, Manchester and Oxford, and Japanese with Korean Studies at SOAS; offers with all choices :smile: Just wondering if anyone else got an offer at Oxford? Can't seem to find anyone :frown:
Reply 93
Hi guys! Quick question which university do you think you’re most likely to firm and why?

(I’m going through a little dilemma)
Hi, I've applied for Japanese studies at Durham and Sheffield, and modern languages and translation at Cardiff, I've received conditional offers for all 3, plus a contextual offer for Durham if I make them my firm choice, which I'm really happy about getting offers for all my choices, but now I'm clueless about where I want to go.
It all honestly depends on what you are specifically looking for. My reasons for picking Uclan over any other university was the things that it offered compared to other places. Not just specifically one thing, but several. The courses offerings, what we were learning, the extra optional classes, reviews from students, and how well they did last year with students. You then need to think about whether you like what the area has to offer, what the accommodation would be like etc. I already had friends who live in Preston as it is, and I wanted to live here anyway. I just needed a reason and a date. Which I now have.
Reply 96
Original post by CatsMoon
Hi, I've applied for Japanese studies at Durham and Sheffield, and modern languages and translation at Cardiff, I've received conditional offers for all 3, plus a contextual offer for Durham if I make them my firm choice, which I'm really happy about getting offers for all my choices, but now I'm clueless about where I want to go.

Congratulations on all of your offers! I’m kind of in the same boat, I have no idea where I want to go... Maybe have a look at the courses again and see which ones you’d more be interested in?
Reply 97
Original post by faytexo
It all honestly depends on what you are specifically looking for. My reasons for picking Uclan over any other university was the things that it offered compared to other places. Not just specifically one thing, but several. The courses offerings, what we were learning, the extra optional classes, reviews from students, and how well they did last year with students. You then need to think about whether you like what the area has to offer, what the accommodation would be like etc. I already had friends who live in Preston as it is, and I wanted to live here anyway. I just needed a reason and a date. Which I now have.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Between all the unis I’ve applied to UCLan and Sheffield are the only two I see myself going to I’ve heard nothing but positive comments about UCLans East Asian department and the course looks really interesting and similarly the course at Sheffield looks really interesting and I like the area and overall atmosphere I guess it was just Durham that made me question myself
Reply 98
I have just got an offer from Sheffield for Korean studies - my first choice!
Original post by Piink
I have just got an offer from Sheffield for Korean studies - my first choice!

Good job!! Very proud my guy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending