Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    one option if you have access to a supermarket neear your accomodation is to shop in a contingent manner and buywhat ever meat or fish is in the shortdated reduced and then decide on your meal on that basis ...

ReputationRep:
    Two really cheap recipes I keep making:

Leek and Potato Soup
    - 2/3 medium potatoes.
    - 2 large leeks.
    - 600ml of Marigold vegetable bullion stock (but any vegetable stock will do).
    - thin slice of butter (20g)
    - 1 tbsp of olive oil
    - 1/2 tbsp pf thyme.
    - salt and pepper.

Basically, you put the leeks and potatoes in a warm pan (having cut them into small slices) along with the oil and butter and thyme. Let that cook (about 7 minutes). Add the stock, turn the heat down and let it simmer until the vegetables are soft. Make into a chunky soup using a potato masher or fork and add seasoning if desired.

Using the market stall I go to, that would cost me about £1.50 tops and makes up to three portions.

Potato Ash
    - roughly 3 potatoes.
    - a small tin of carrots.
    - some gravy granules (the basics ranges at about 30p do the trick).
    - a tin of stewed steak (can be in gravy).
    - about half an onion.
    - salt and pepper.

Prepare the potatoes / onion and then boil then in salted water. Once they are soft - about 15 minutes - remove about 90% of the water. Add the carrots (if using fresh carrots you add them at the start), gravy granules (about a tbsp) and the steak and keeping stirring on a medium heat until it forms a stew like consistency. Then serve.

That should make 2/3 good sized portions and can be easily reheated in the microwave or on the stove.

In total, that should cost about £2.50 as the steak is usually about £1.30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Potato Ash
    Isn't it Potato Hash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmjessop)
    Isn't it Potato Hash?
    Not when we make it at home.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, how do you feel full up after eating these sorts of meals? I end up having to eat like 3 quid meals when I cook just to feel full =( (Its mainly meat which costs)

Ps. To clarify.. my budget is 3 quid a day =( I'm spending like 8 atm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zophixan)
    Guys, how do you feel full up after eating these sorts of meals? I end up having to eat like 3 quid meals when I cook just to feel full =( (Its mainly meat which costs)

The trick is largely to not eat much meat. Beans and pulses (such as kidney beans and lentils) are good for filling you up for not too much money. Big bags of pasta and rice and cheap and filling too.

ReputationRep:

If you do a big batch of meals and then freeze them in individual portions it can save some money

ReputationRep:
    im veggie and i find my food shopping comes to a much lower cost than my non-veggie flatmates! i also tend to do a lot of 'one pot' meals - usually making enough for the 2 consecutive evening meals + sometimes a meal or two to freeze.so my meals include:
    vegetable casserole, vegetabley pasta bake, vegetable chilli, chickpea and courgette curry...and also fajitas, risottos, stir fry veg with tofu, pasta broccoli pesto and pine nuts, a sort of paella dish, stuffed peppers ) annnd must be others but cannot remember. i spend a lot of time looking in recipe books and changing the recipes to what i have in, or what is cheap and available - this is because i love cooking though- not amazing at it but love it! i probably spend an average of £10-£12 a week

ReputationRep:
    try cooking together

circulate your meals around people's kitchens, or around people's food resources. I do this with four other people and I more or less cook one meal a week (include one day when you cook your own stuff and one night when you go out/order in/eat biscuits or something stupid for dinner) and I spend between £10-15 a week on food. WITH meat.

ReputationRep:
    Meat is sooo expensive these days!!

Does anyone know what Tesco/ASDA and other supermarkets own brand meat is like?? Why is it soo much cheaper than the other stuff?

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crammy lass)

Does anyone know what Tesco/ASDA and other supermarkets own brand meat is like?? Why is it soo much cheaper than the other stuff?

x
    Hey,
    I mostly use own-brand quorn and meat substitutes (just because they last longer and are cheaper) but I've had own brand meat at home and tbh it's been fine. The only thing with it is that some people can be squeamish about it due to the conditions in which the animals were raised/killed etc (although I'm not an authority on those things). However, I do think that as a student we can't be too picky about what we eat.

Hope that was in any way helpful lol.

ReputationRep:
    Beans & Ham

ReputationRep:
    well at the mo im on 40quid/50quid a week and as i study in london my budget goes 16pound tube- gets me to uni .. 4pound food 20pound goin out so with my 4 pound budget i useually buy...

pasta,
    3 cans of baked beans,
    sausages,
    bread
    a pack of assorted vegtables and onions 99p frm sainsburys
    casserole mix
    9p batter mix

LOL

ReputationRep:
    uncle ben's rice

sorted ~I usually spend about £15 a week on supermarket shopping [excluding alcohol] - I'll buy bread, humous, rice, chicken, soup, olives, pitta, salad and that's generally it. the majority of my shopping bill is rice. I'm trying to expand my pallet though, and this week I pushed the boat out and bought eggs, and carrots.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but risotto is so easy and dead cheap

Risotto -
    arborio rice (£1- can use cheaper long grain rice at 69p but arborio makes it creamier),
    chicken breast (£2 for two value breasts),
    onion (88p/kg, only need one so practically free),
    garlic butter (1/5 of a pack, so 20p)
    6 stock cubes (70p)

It's meant to serve four people, so the cost per portion is 97p, but I can normally stretch it to five portions because I get bored of rice fairly quickly.

Guys, how do you feel full up after eating these sorts of meals? I end up having to eat like 3 quid meals when I cook just to feel full =( (Its mainly meat which cost)
    How are you spending £3 cooking your own meals? If all you're eating is meat and a side of vegetables or noodles etc, then you'll spend far more than you need to. If you learn some "proper" recipes, you can get away with using the cheaper types of meat and you won't notice the difference. Pasta sauces use very little meat, so cost barely anything to make, and likewise with risottos and such.

(Original post by crammy lass)

x
    What do you mean when you say own brand? Do you mean value meat? The regular meat they sell is exactly the same as places like Willow Farm (who do Tesco chicken). However, value is slightly different. Generally it's a lower quality meat, so you get the fattier cuts of the meat. Also, it won't be organically farmed, so the animals conditions are potentially pretty bad (although some supermarkets claim otherwise, and some people just don't mind). I personally can't tell the difference with things like chicken, but if you're buying steak then it's worth getting the more expensive one. However, if you're cooking it as part of a risotto or some kind of pasta sauce (so chicken, mince etc), then go for the value, you won't be able to tell the difference 99% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to buy non-organic, non-local, cheap meat. This is why I have effectively become a vegetarian at uni. quorn is a lot cheaper and tastes fine. I make a brilliant spag bol (with fresh pesto in it!), a job lot, for around £4 and that makes me around three meals. I can also eat it knowing that no animals have been reared or killed inhumanely for my satisfaction.

eating cheaply is not hard, as long as you know basically how to cook. my flatmates are horrific, but that's because they don't know how to cook for themselves so they end up eating the same old cheap crap day in, day out. making tasty, varied and non-pasta based meals is easy. look for what's on offer, not only will it save you money but you'll end up buying things you normally mightn't have tried and will so broaden your horizons. I ended up making a curry with quorn chicken, nyonya curry sauce, sugar-snap peas, and yellow pepper this week and it was delicious - and cost me about £1.50 per serving. It's not hard, really.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you go to supermarkets look at their reduced sections. If you have a freezer, you can buy tons of stuff for really low prices and freeze it. Then you've got say, six pizzas for £6 and you won't have to buy them again for ages.

If you can cook maybe four meals, then you're sorted. Maybe learn some kind of rice dish, two pasta sauces and a curry and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a real problem when I go to uni because I can cook, I cook about 2-3 times aweek at home and I have to put lots of spices and sauces in my food which are quit expensive.
    I am also a really fussy eater, and only like eating branded food, from growing up only eating that, I can see me having problems lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooke2008)
    I'm going to have a real problem when I go to uni because I can cook, I cook about 2-3 times aweek at home and I have to put lots of spices and sauces in my food which are quit expensive.
    I am also a really fussy eater, and only like eating branded food, from growing up only eating that, I can see me having problems lol
    Spices etc really aren't that expensive, and they last for ages. My housemates all mock me for having a load of them, but they really make a different to what you're cooking.

The trick is to know what's ok in the Value/Basic etc ranges, what to get in the "regular" Supermarket own-brand lines and what you need to splash out on. I include tinned tuna and sweetcorn, mayonnaise and bread in the "branded" catagory. I've grown up knowing how to cook (and goodness knows I'm grateful for that now!), but it's really not difficult to learn if you put a bit of effort in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that! I haven't got a clue how much food is, and thought spices were expensive glad there not, I am also greatful knowing how to cook, when looking at my mates who can only cook on a George foreman it will make uni life better, the money side is what I'm going to really struggle on, I pay for nothing at the mo (sorry to go off subject a bit)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.