Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jointhedots)
    I'm currently nursing an addiction to corned beef sandwiches.

The other night however I made the mistake of trying it with pasta. :waggle:
    ah i always eat it with pasta and soup, it's the best, however i do hate it with sandwiches, totally mank :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not as cheap and healthy as some of the other options but delicious all the same (one of the chefs at the restaurant I used to work at taught me!)

Chicken Sizzler
    Ingredients: Chicken, cream, wholegrain mustard, tarragon, white wine (optional)
    Method: Put olive oil in a pan, wait till its nice and hot, chuck in the chunks of chicken and fry until cooked through. Chuck in the cream, the white wine, as much wholegrain mustard and tarragon as suits your tastebuds (I like loads), let it simmer so that the sauce thickens and then serve it with whatever you want rice/chips/potatos/veg/salad etc. Really simple and GORGEOUS! Nice as a treat and easy to cook for all your flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    ah i always eat it with pasta and soup, it's the best, however i do hate it with sandwiches, totally mank :p:
    To be fair...I was drunk at the time, and also added a bit of pilau rice seasoning on the basis that it works well with er, rice. Doesn't work with pasta

ReputationRep:
    cheese burger from the kebab with donner meat under the burger. its important that its under the burger and not under the cheese. i feel it is important to add you must have consumed a skinful of alcohol prior to embarking on this delicious option.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh. Risotto is good. The rice is a bit expensive but if you pad it out with loads of vegetables (I usually use frozen peas) it's really filling and easy to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jointhedots)
    I'm currently nursing an addiction to corned beef sandwiches.

The other night however I made the mistake of trying it with pasta. :waggle:
    Take it, it wasn't good?!

ReputationRep:
    mmm all this sounds so yummy!!! ...I also like toad in the hole...get a 9p sachet of batter mix from tescos mix with an egg pour in pan and add sausages shove in oven thenthose 10p cans of new potatoes from tescos drain them and then fry um or boil them off yummyyyy xx

ReputationRep:
    I get a box of 6 frozen cod fillets from Tesco and either fresh or frozen veg and have that either together or with a couple of spuds too. Really should eat more fruit and veg but I don't like fruit.

Beans with toast or jacket spud.

Tuna mayo pasta or on toast.

8p noodles

Cheap supermarket own pasta sauces and sometimes chuck in mushrooms, peppers etc.

I like to have soup for lunch sometimes but I don't like the supermarket's own brands and other brands are quite expensive

It's pretty easy to eat cheap it's just a matter of whether it's totally healthy for you or not.

ReputationRep:
    Simple Salad - also healthy and possibly cheap, depending on what you add.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Naughty)
    Take it, it wasn't good?!
    It was ****ing terrible. I was very drunk, and I still couldn't eat it.

I like making lentil soup, you need lentils (obviously), a couple of rashers of bacon, tomato puree, chicken stock and onion...It's so filling. And easy to make in bulk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Naughty)
    Simple Salad - also healthy and possibly cheap, depending on what you add.
    Definitely. I got half a portion of cucumber for 30p from Tesco.

Also get a Tesco Clubcard so you can save money on food.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so fussy...nothing here appeals! I'm sure I can live off beans/cheese on toast/waffles or something. Waffles and diced pepper with cheese is so yum.

ReputationRep:
    Lentil Daal

Bag of red spit lentils 60p ish.
    1 onion 10p
    curry powder
    I veg stock cube

method:
    Finely dice onion. Fry said onion. Add lentils. Add curry powder. Slowly add the boiling stock to cover the lentils until the lentils begin to break down and form a thick sauce.

It's the cheapest and most nutritious meal i can come up with on a tight budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber2008)
    mmm all this sounds so yummy!!! ...I also like toad in the hole...get a 9p sachet of batter mix from tescos mix with an egg pour in pan and add sausages shove in oven thenthose 10p cans of new potatoes from tescos drain them and then fry um or boil them off yummyyyy xx
    This makes the best yorkshire pudding ever! Or maybe that's just me and my family....

ReputationRep:
    This is the part of uni I am dreading. I cannot cook to save my life. I can microwave stuff, do sandwiches etc and thats about it. I also have no idea about what goes with what, and what stuff I would need to buy for a week

ReputationRep:
    I've made 'vegetable' stew a few times
    (inverted commas because there's pretty much no veg in it )

1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped up
    6 bell peppers, sliced
    chili powder
    tomato puree
    all in a pot, filled with enough stock to cover the ingredients, then bring to the boil then simmer for about half an hour
    this costs very little to make, tastes awesome and can last upto a week (provided you dont have any problem with eating food that might have gone a little bad )

ReputationRep:
    i just could live on french baguettes and butter. mmmm. or toasted crumpets... and butter, or pancakes and butter and soda..and butter. i will become a tent. but ill be a happy tent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I don't want to give up my warburtons seeded batch. it's £1.58/loaf. am I living in a dream world?
    Im afraid I spend about that on bread, if not more, because somerfield's cheap bread is disgusting, and the brands I like are about that price too.

ReputationRep:
    Try cheap fajitas for protein and veg! Don't bother buying the Old El Paso kits though I just buy the spice mix which is about 75p then some value/smartprice wraps, just gotta get some chicken/mince and veg then. What does everyone at Uni do meat-wise... cheap cuts or go without? I think I'd end up protein deficient without!

ReputationRep:
    Another suggestion, you could buy Fajita wraps, supermarkets own brand for 80p-£1. Then add what you like in it, Lettuce, cheese, ham...etc.

Could do as a simple lunch or a main meal depending on what you add to it. =]

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.