Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Laura. <3)
    Try cheap fajitas for protein and veg! Don't bother buying the Old El Paso kits though I just buy the spice mix which is about 75p then some value/smartprice wraps, just gotta get some chicken/mince and veg then. What does everyone at Uni do meat-wise... cheap cuts or go without? I think I'd end up protein deficient without!

Meat really is pretty expensive. I'm a very light meat eater. I've replaced most meat with soya and quorn products. It's cheaper and healthier. I tend to eat a lot of fish - mainly though tins of mackerel which cost about 60p and come in either brine or tomato sauce. It's great on toast for a quick snack, or added to pasta or rice as part of a main meal.

ReputationRep:
    i cant cook to save my life, im sure once we're there though and actually have to cook then we will learn pretty quickly!

ReputationRep:
    I made the best egg roll ever just now for lunch, got it off of that Chinese Food Made Easy show on BBC1 last Monday...
    1) Make a flat, round omelette with mushrooms and peppers
    2) Lay it out like a tortilla, fill it with spring onions and chicken, roll it up, dip with sweet chilli/soy sauce and munch...
    ...Mmmm.

ReputationRep:
    Aldi 17p noodles.

ReputationRep:
    omelettes... so easy to make

scrambled eggs!

anything with eggs

ReputationRep:
    But what happens when you're veggie?? :eek:
    My mom gave me the best recipe for eggless carrot cake, it's so good.

ReputationRep:
    fridge cake is brill ;]

ReputationRep:
    you mean vegan then .

Vegan diet is really cheap - lots of pulses and beans. Think chilli, stews, soups etc. The trouble with pulses you have to soak them the night before, unless you get tinned, but it's cheaper to buy them dried. You just need to know what you're going to be eating over the next few days. They stay fresh in the fridge for a few days should you decide not to use them straight away though!

The trick with cooking is practice! So start now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    This is the part of uni I am dreading. I cannot cook to save my life. I can microwave stuff, do sandwiches etc and thats about it. I also have no idea about what goes with what, and what stuff I would need to buy for a week
    Have a look in a bookshop for a student cookbook. They assume that all students can't cook and therefore go over really basic things. Although I can cook well I bought one as they have tonnes of recipies to make on a budget.

I bought 1001 Classic Student Recipies, which is good because it gives you a list of staples you should keep in the cupboard and it has tonnes of recipies. But buy one now and try a few before yo go off to uni.

ReputationRep:
    There's also HUNDREDS available free on websites, just type in 'Student Recipes' or something similar in Google search engine and loads come up.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecokid)
    you mean vegan then .
    No, I'm a Canadian vegetarian - that means no eggs, but still milk and cheese and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Cooking By Numbers is good if you're feeling random.

ReputationRep:
    Im so worried...I cant cook anything fancy at all just make simple things, scramled egg, potatoes, oven and microwave stuff, but no proper cooked meals.. I just suck sadly. Really want to learn before I leave.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, we're not all professional chefs here y'know Although i like to pretend to be haha. As long as you can cook simple stuff that you can live on, you will be fine. And you said you can do potatoes, egg and stuff so you'll be fine. If you want any help just look at some recipes, take in account on how to make them with what ingredients etc, look at some cookbooks or/and ask your mum/dad/brother/sister for any pointers

ReputationRep:
    I've started spying on my mom cooking and stealing some of her recipes so that I can eventually fend for myself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathy, Ace from Space)
    I've started spying on my mom cooking and stealing some of her recipes so that I can eventually fend for myself...
    Yeah that's probably the best way of actually gaining insight and 'researching' :p: I tend to try and ask my mum stuff like 'Oh yeah..and erm...how long does that take in the oven...what do you put in it', i swear she thinks i'm undermining(sp?) her :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sandwiches, lots and lots of Sandwiches!

ReputationRep:
    Couscous with half a chicken stock cube and some tinned green beans. I work in euros, its 2 euros for the couscous, 1 for the stock cubes, a couple for the beans and this will last ages.

ReputationRep:
    One of the people i work with said she reccommends investing in a sandwich toaster machine, her daughter bought one for uni.

ReputationRep:
    ahh, toastie makers make everything taste nicer!

do students never bake their own bread, or pizza bases or anything?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.