WHY DID MY CAR ROLL BACK on this hill when I was doing everything to stop it

Watch
curious312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I stalled on a hill in a multi storey parking lot. I was going too slow and in second gear. I thought fine ill recover by putting the handbrake up and with my foot on the break, and with the biting point on the clutch. When I let go off the break so that I can now accelerate the car WAS ROLLING DOWN omg I panicked. My hand brake was still on so that I wouldn't roll back but the car still rolled. I kept trying to find the biting point and no matter how much higher I would go the car KEPT ON ROLLING. I didn't stall btw. I just was NOT getting the chance to remove my foot off the brake for gas otherwise I could've driven off. WHy did this happen?? The hump was very steep but surely the handbrake still should've have worked and the clutch!

(btw I ended up getting out of the car and swapping seats with my mum in front of EVEYRONE and she drove the car)
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by curious312)
So I stalled on a hill in a multi storey parking lot. I was going too slow and in second gear. I thought fine ill recover by putting the handbrake up and with my foot on the break, and with the biting point on the clutch. When I let go off the break so that I can now accelerate the car WAS ROLLING DOWN omg I panicked. My hand brake was still on so that I wouldn't roll back but the car still rolled. I kept trying to find the biting point and no matter how much higher I would go the car KEPT ON ROLLING. I didn't stall btw. I just was NOT getting the chance to remove my foot off the brake for gas otherwise I could've driven off. WHy did this happen?? The hump was very steep but surely the handbrake still should've have worked and the clutch!

(btw I ended up getting out of the car and swapping seats with my mum in front of EVEYRONE and she drove the car)
My guess is by the way you describe this, the handbrake wasn't up enough.

That's why you should always test your handbrake by taking your foot off the brake slowly.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 10 months ago
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
My guess is by the way you describe this, the handbrake wasn't up enough.

That's why you should always test your handbrake by taking your foot off the brake slowly.
Or wasn't maintained properly so ceased to work.

Speaking of pushing gas and brake in the same time- it is possible. It's called Heel&Toe technique.
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it sounds as if your handbrake is not effective on a steep hill.
no matter how high you pull the handbrake.
get a mechanic to check over the handbrake mechanism. Probably need an adjustment to the cable etc
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Even with an inefficient handbrake or the handbrake not high enough you can still do steep hill starts with only a few inches roll back.

Foot on foot brake, handbrake on. Foot on clutch, car in first gear, left foot up to biting point, observe it's safe to move off and signal if it'll help other road users. Foot quickly off brake and fairly gently onto throttle. At the same time release handbrake and just catch the car to stop it stalling and balance left and right foot for a smooth getaway. The steeper the hill the finer your balance has to be.

It takes practise. Start with gentle hills and work your way up to steep ramps.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Happened to me the other day stalled on a hill, quickly got my handbrake on found the bite n off I went. My guess is your handbrake wasnt on properly.
BrainLagged
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How many clicks do you usually use on your handbrake when parking your car? It might have too much travel.
Plus if you're still moving just pull the handbrake up more..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads