dilu777
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
F(t)= 0 mod(t)>10
cos t -10<t<10
a)Use the fouriers integral theorem to derive the fouriers transform of F(t)
b)Use the fouriers transforms of the top-hat and cosine functions, and properties of the fouriers transform to confirm your result.
Can anyone please help me on this example. I missed the lectures due to being ill and now im struggling with it. Thank you
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dilu777)
F(t)= 0 mod(t)>10
cos t -10<t<10
a)Use the fouriers integral theorem to derive the fouriers transform of F(t)
b)Use the fouriers transforms of the top-hat and cosine functions, and properties of the fouriers transform to confirm your result.
Can anyone please help me on this example. I missed the lectures due to being ill and now im struggling with it. Thank you
You have an example of a discrete (top hat) and a continuous (cos) function in there, both of them have very standard book value solutions for the FT, and you take two different mathematical approaches to them. One requires a Fourier integral, one needs a (very simple) discrete Fourier sum to do from first principles.
cos t -10<t<10 is a bit more interesting, a good way to approach it is to note that it can be viewed as an infinite cos t multiplied by a top hat mod(t)>10. Do you know how the product of two functions behaves under the FT ?

If the above does not make sense, then you really need to go back to basics and work through those lecture notes in detail as the FT (which is a wonderfully powerful tool) can take a few goes to get your head around as it has both conceptual and mathematical complexities..
dilu777
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
You have an example of a discrete (top hat) and a continuous (cos) function in there, both of them have very standard book value solutions for the FT, and you take two different mathematical approaches to them. One requires a Fourier integral, one needs a (very simple) discrete Fourier sum to do from first principles.
cos t -10<t<10 is a bit more interesting, a good way to approach it is to note that it can be viewed as an infinite cos t multiplied by a top hat mod(t)>10. Do you know how the product of two functions behaves under the FT ?

If the above does not make sense, then you really need to go back to basics and work through those lecture notes in detail as the FT (which is a wonderfully powerful tool) can take a few goes to get your head around as it has both conceptual and mathematical complexities..fhdfd
Sorry i've been away for a while. This Fouriers transform is a topic i have no idea on how to approach. I only skimmed through the lecture notes and therefore i have to do that all over again
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dilu777)
Sorry i've been away for a while. This Fouriers transform is a topic i have no idea on how to approach. I only skimmed through the lecture notes and therefore i have to do that all over again
Ok, down to you then. the FT is a really important tool so one you need to get to grips with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads