Exit poll: Scotland must surely go independent?

Watch
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Assuming the exit poll is roughly correct..

It's a massive victory for Brexit (Con) in England/Wales
It's a massive victory for the EU (SNP) in Scotland

Surely now we must have a 2nd Scottish independence vote, knowing that the UK is going to be leaving the EU and Scotland appears to be overwhelmingly wanting to stay.
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope that Scotland go independent.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fully support them going independent, I wouldn't want to associate myself with the rest of the UK if I was in their place.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I fully support their independence as a parasitic country feeding off the teet of the England, hopefully they can take NI with them.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reue)
Assuming the exit poll is roughly correct..

It's a massive victory for Brexit (Con) in England/Wales
It's a massive victory for the EU (SNP) in Scotland

Surely now we must have a 2nd Scottish independence vote, knowing that the UK is going to be leaving the EU and Scotland appears to be overwhelmingly wanting to stay.
There is a contradiction there. If Britain leaves the EU, as it now definitely will on 31 January, so too will Scotland. Independence would not change that. getting back in to the EU would take several years for an independent Scotland and would likely be significantly handicapped becasue it is running a 6% deficit (double the EU requirement).

In any event, the general election result says nothing about Scots' wish to be independent. A vote for SNP did not imply a vote for secession. It merely implies a left-leaning (but not Marxist) pro-EU voter. Many SNP voters are anti-secession, as are most Scots generally.

The SNP has another twenty years before its generation is up, anyway, and Boris has made it clear that there will be no referendum, even if the SNP does well in the election of 2021.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of Britain's former colonies right now:

moggis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let’s hope so. One reason I wanted leave to win the referendum is to be rid of the Scots. And for a long while it looked as if it would never happen. Let’s hope Nicola pulls out all the stops. The [email protected] advantage of Scotland used to be to provide Labour seats but that’s gone now so they have little use for the English and cost us too much
.If only they gave the English and Welsh a referendum on whether we still want to be part of a union.
Last edited by moggis; 1 year ago
Nalk1573
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stugeon is a fraud who doesn't want Scottish independence and I am not sure she is even Scottish.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nalk1573)
Stugeon is a fraud who doesn't want Scottish independence and I am not sure she is even Scottish.
Is that in the same way that people thought Obama wasn't even American...
Nalk1573
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Is that in the same way that people thought Obama wasn't even American...
every rabid nationalist has some deep insecurity about their life and they turn to nationalism to cover it up and make themselves feel better

she isn't an attractive lady and I have to wonder if this plays a part in it
akragas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The arguments against Scottish independence are the same as those against Brexit. I don't understand SNP/Scottish independence remainers.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nalk1573)
every rabid nationalist has some deep insecurity about their life and they turn to nationalism to cover it up and make themselves feel better

she isn't an attractive lady and I have to wonder if this plays a part in it
What are you on about?
Bob Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You had your vote and you bottled it. How many more times does the ugly virgin sturgeon have to be shot down to get through to em that they're just not that into independence.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I fully support their independence as a parasitic country feeding off the teet of the England, hopefully they can take NI with them.
And they can pay off our national debt first... as we did theirs when they joined the UK!
loginrunner
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Before this year's general election I was totally against scotland leaving (I'm english btw). I thought they just need to accept the result of the eu referendum as part of one whole UK vote. After the election though seeing boris johnson win with such a massive majority I can understand why they want to leave. Scotland's political view is too different to rest of the UK yet they can't do anything under this system in the UK where they only control around 50 of the 650? seats in westminster. I don't blame them for wanting to leave.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it is coming.
There is probably an argument for England being better off without Scotland.

That being said nothing should happen until brexit is sorted.
Also I really don't see the EU giving Scotland the same investment as Westminster has handed out.

I'd actually want a border with Scotland though. To protect our market and jobs from the Scots.
Last edited by adam271; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads