Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last edited by snoopyx; 9 months ago
slide234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by snoopyx)
I am a first year and going to start speculatively applying to various investment banks, hedge funds etc. for a summer 2020 job. When I write to them do I need to do research on each individual firm to put in a cover letter or can I just say I'm looking for a role please let me know if you have any opportunities available? and attach my CV?

Please could anyone who knows the process let me know thank you!
Also is January too early to apply for jobs starting in June?
Most large firms will have dedicated summer internship schemes/spring weeks on their website & you'll find advice there on how to apply. For the best results, you should include research on the firm in your cover letter, but you can find lots of advice on these online.

Speculatively emailing larger firms for an open opportunity will most likely be in vain, especially if you don't demonstrate an understanding of the industry/firm. Smaller companies may have opportunities if you can show a keen interest, but your best bet would be emailing specific individuals within the firm for a chat first, perhaps on LinkedIn.

Many of these internships & spring weeks will now be open for applications, so suggest you check online ASAP, best of luck!
BusMan21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by snoopyx)
I am a first year and going to start speculatively applying to various investment banks, hedge funds etc. for a summer 2020 job. When I write to them do I need to do research on each individual firm to put in a cover letter or can I just say I'm looking for a role please let me know if you have any opportunities available? and attach my CV?

Please could anyone who knows the process let me know thank you!
Also is January too early to apply for jobs starting in June?
First Year internship opportunities are notoriously limited in number - second year is your real sweet spot if you want a 'job' for the summer.

As the poster has said above, you need to follow proper channels and apply to the formal routes in relation to the year you are in. You can't send a generic copy+paste cover letter and think this will lead to anything beyond reaching the bin.

First Year: You apply for Spring Weeks which occur in April 2020, but the recruitment season for these have mostly peaked.
Second Year: You apply for Internships which occur in June 2021-August 2021, applications will open early Autumn (September 2020 - Dec 2020)
Third Year: You apply for full-time positions which start September 2022, applications would open similar to above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (435)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.87%

Watched Threads