Phone addiction is real and so is the damage: here’s my experience Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So it seems like there has been some on how phones can be addictive but for me not so much on the sheer damage phones can really have on people- so here is my experience on how phone addiction has been quite damaging.

My phone addiction began in 2016 when I dropped out of college due to a breakdown from anxiety/depression. Due to being in a stagnant place and facing isolation I took refuge in social media to numb it all. I ended up basically being on my phone from the minute I woke up, to the minute I slept- and this went on for almost two years till I went to college again. Of course this wasn’t every single they but it was most days and I can say it has really ****ed me up psychologically and physically- I really noticed this especially going back to college and having to engage with people and in education again.

I would say I used to be a fairly sharp minded academic and creative person and really enjoyed learning- but after my phone addiction my ability to focus had become extremely poor, I barely can remember anything anymore everything seems to just be a blur, finding joy in anything besides binging youtube is seldom now, I have a very hard time connecting with others that aren’t on the internet, I have anger issues and feel irritable, my social anxiety and social skills have declined greatly and of course my depression has worsened. I also experience regular nausea and headaches and my body has become weak from being immobile most days from sitting on the sofa constantly on my phone. I think the most significant issue my phone addiction has caused however is causing me to have disassociation disorder- which has been the most frustrating, causing me to feel detached from reality and completely disconnected from the external. I almost feel these symptoms are basically symmetrical to those of a chronic weed smoker. Furthermore my intelligence has definitely eroded, I once got As and Bs in GCSE but my highest final grade for college was a D. Of course your grades don’t sum up your intelligence but I would say t does represent the results of my poor ability to engage my mind.

Of course many other factors contributed to my mental decline such as bad sleep, no mental stimulation and not going outside much. But I would say my phone addiction has been the biggest catalyst to my crappier mental health. The frustrating thing is that unlike drugs or alcohol you can’t exactly go cold turkey with a phone being an essential part of modern society, but I plan to replace my smartphone for a more basic model.

Of course my experience is a fairly extreme situation and I hope none of you reading this has gotten into the same using your phone to the same extent as I had- but I post this anyways as a warning of how truly damaging the effects of mobile phone intake really can be.

Take care and take good care of your mind peeps ✌️
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So it seems like there has been some on how phones can be addictive but for me not so much on the sheer damage phones can really have on people- so here is my experience on how phone addiction has been quite damaging.

My phone addiction began in 2016 when I dropped out of college due to a breakdown from anxiety/depression. Due to being in a stagnant place and facing isolation I took refuge in social media to numb it all. I ended up basically being on my phone from the minute I woke up, to the minute I slept- and this went on for almost two years till I went to college again. Of course this wasn’t every single they but it was most days and I can say it has really ****ed me up psychologically and physically- I really noticed this especially going back to college and having to engage with people and in education again.

I would say I used to be a fairly sharp minded academic and creative person and really enjoyed learning- but after my phone addiction my ability to focus had become extremely poor, I barely can remember anything anymore everything seems to just be a blur, finding joy in anything besides binging youtube is seldom now, I have a very hard time connecting with others that aren’t on the internet, I have anger issues and feel irritable, my social anxiety and social skills have declined greatly and of course my depression has worsened. I also experience regular nausea and headaches and my body has become weak from being immobile most days from sitting on the sofa constantly on my phone. I think the most significant issue my phone addiction has caused however is causing me to have disassociation disorder- which has been the most frustrating, causing me to feel detached from reality and completely disconnected from the external. I almost feel these symptoms are basically symmetrical to those of a chronic weed smoker. Furthermore my intelligence has definitely eroded, I once got As and Bs in GCSE but my highest final grade for college was a D. Of course your grades don’t sum up your intelligence but I would say t does represent the results of my poor ability to engage my mind.

Of course many other factors contributed to my mental decline such as bad sleep, no mental stimulation and not going outside much. But I would say my phone addiction has been the biggest catalyst to my crappier mental health. The frustrating thing is that unlike drugs or alcohol you can’t exactly go cold turkey with a phone being an essential part of modern society, but I plan to replace my smartphone for a more basic model.

Of course my experience is a fairly extreme situation and I hope none of you reading this has gotten into the same using your phone to the same extent as I had- but I post this anyways as a warning of how truly damaging the effects of mobile phone intake really can be.

I feel like you're talking about me. So how did you get rid of the addiction? Simple answer is we can't and this is only the beginning. Technology is messing people's lives.
Anonymous #1
I feel like you're talking about me. So how did you get rid of the addiction? Simple answer is we can't and this is only the beginning. Technology is messing people's lives.
That’s unfortunate man.. I haven’t completely escaped but I’m trying to become very self disciplined- forcing myself to face my discomfort and not give in. Exercise really helps to get into the mindset and forcing yourself to do hobbies and being in nature. I’ve also tried doing a dopamine detox where you spend an entire day or so with no stimulation (no phone, food, sex, entertainment etc) just drink water and be completely in the moment- that’s quite a hardcore example lol but I tried it and I did feel very good afterwards. Finding purpose and the right stimulation is the goal- I’m currently taking a gap year and it’s hard not slipping back into old habits but doing anything other than scrolling on social media constantly helps (volunteering, activities, job etc) looking into therapy too. We can’t escape technology as it’s hardwired into humanities evolution- but I think we can find a way to compromise. I wish you luck anyways man
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
That’s unfortunate man.. I haven’t completely escaped but I’m trying to become very self disciplined- forcing myself to face my discomfort and not give in. Exercise really helps to get into the mindset and forcing yourself to do hobbies and being in nature. I’ve also tried doing a dopamine detox where you spend an entire day or so with no stimulation (no phone, food, sex, entertainment etc) just drink water and be completely in the moment- that’s quite a hardcore example lol but I tried it and I did feel very good afterwards. Finding purpose and the right stimulation is the goal- I’m currently taking a gap year and it’s hard not slipping back into old habits but doing anything other than scrolling on social media constantly helps (volunteering, activities, job etc) looking into therapy too. We can’t escape technology as it’s hardwired into humanities evolution- but I think we can find a way to compromise. I wish you luck anyways man
I deleted all my social media last week and i have to say am feel way better now and am not going back social media ever again. Now am planning to give up my phone for one complete month and see what the outcome is going to be.

I do exercise 5 days a week and sometimes 6 days a week. 1hr each day. At the moment am typing this reply, just got off from the gym (legs day) hate it but gotta do it. Can't skip it lol.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

you self-diagnosed yourself with a dissociative disorder because you spend too much time on your phone? i don't think you understand what a dissociative disorder is. a phone can't cause it. it's something your mind does as a coping mechanism when you are under severe levels of stress.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
you self-diagnosed yourself with a dissociative disorder because you spend too much time on your phone? i don't think you understand what a dissociative disorder is. a phone can't cause it. it's something your mind does as a coping mechanism when you are under severe levels of stress.
Well I feel a detachment from reality and myself and like an actual soulless zombie which I haven’t managed to fully escape from so if that doesn’t describe disassociation I’m not sure what does. And yeah I’d say obviously the healthy mind might not get this from a phone it was caused from my depressive breakdown where I was very stressed- the phone catalysed this.
Anonymous #1
I deleted all my social media last week and i have to say am feel way better now and am not going back social media ever again. Now am planning to give up my phone for one complete month and see what the outcome is going to be.

I do exercise 5 days a week and sometimes 6 days a week. 1hr each day. At the moment am typing this reply, just got off from the gym (legs day) hate it but gotta do it. Can't skip it lol.
Man that’s pretty great, I wish I had it in me to delete all my social media. I hope it goes well let me know how you feel after the month
errrr99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exercise really helps to get into the mindset and forcing yourself to do hobbies and being in nature. I’ve also tried doing a dopamine detox where you spend an entire day or so with no stimulation (no phone, food, sex, entertainment etc) just drink water and be completely in the moment- that’s quite a hardcore example lol but I tried it and I did feel very good afterwards. Finding purpose and the right stimulation is the goal-
very informative and honest thread
I have mods for a sustainable version of "dopamine detox" to suggest:
read a book until you're totally absorbed,
cycle/walk to the library to return the book
cook your meals from scratch (no take-aways or convenience food)
no home deliveries, no self-checkout, cash only not online/card payments (reduces impulsive discretionary spending)
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would love to get rid of my smartphone but I need it for work
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Man that’s pretty great, I wish I had it in me to delete all my social media. I hope it goes well let me know how you feel after the month
Social Media is the major problem to me really. I see friends posting having fun, going places i can't afford, trips and luxury stuff. I feel happy for them and i never envy people but there is feeling inside me also that says. Why the heck can i not have that? They look happy, why on earth i look miserable?. I know their life isn't perfect and they're probably faking it. I have decided to get rid all my social media.

After a week off from social media, i have noticed that i'm doing much better in my life. Focusing on important stuff. Taking care myself. Being productive whole day. Sleeping good. After i have seen these benefits, i have to say am done social media for good. Never going back again.

Now, i want to get rid of my phone as well for one month. Starting from after Xmass. If the benefits becomes greater and my productivity goes higher, i will buy new phone for just calling and text. No camera, No browser, No internet. Just the one's like olddays.

Will let you now the outcome.
Anonymous #1
Social Media is the major problem to me really. I see friends posting having fun, going places i can't afford, trips and luxury stuff. I feel happy for them and i never envy people but there is feeling inside me also that says. Why the heck can i not have that? They look happy, why on earth i look miserable?. I know their life isn't perfect and they're probably faking it. I have decided to get rid all my social media.

After a week off from social media, i have noticed that i'm doing much better in my life. Focusing on important stuff. Taking care myself. Being productive whole day. Sleeping good. After i have seen these benefits, i have to say am done social media for good. Never going back again.

Now, i want to get rid of my phone as well for one month. Starting from after Xmass. If the benefits becomes greater and my productivity goes higher, i will buy new phone for just calling and text. No camera, No browser, No internet. Just the one's like olddays.

Will let you now the outcome.
That’s good to hear I’d love to know how you get along with it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.32%

Watched Threads