The Student Room Group

Mixed-race struggles

I think it's a truly wonderful thing to be mixed-race. However, being interracial has its downsides, as most thing do.

For a long time I have felt a disconnection from any culture/heritage/greater family network etc. etc. that I've been growing increasingly conscious of over the years.
I am half British half African (I prefer not to specify), and everything about both nationalities is vastly different (This is amazing, and I'm certainly not complaining 💚). I can relate to both and understand both.
However, no British person recognises me as British, at all, and no African person recognises the ''africanness'' in me either. I'd have to directly point out the fact.
As a result, I feel I don't belong. I don't belong. I'm simply hanging in the middle of both, ie nowhere.
This may sound so trivial or whatever, but honestly, I can't really explain how it feels not to be able to fully identify as a person, and feel accepted by your own people.

These are just a few of the struggles I've had, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Post on this thread what your experiences of being a mixed race person have been 💚
You are wasting efforts on things that don't even deserve any thought. Live your life without worrying about acceptance by a group.
Reply 2
Original post by Vanessa Rose 01
I think it's a truly wonderful thing to be mixed-race. However, being interracial has its downsides, as most thing do.

For a long time I have felt a disconnection from any culture/heritage/greater family network etc. etc. that I've been growing increasingly conscious of over the years.
I am half British half African (I prefer not to specify), and everything about both nationalities is vastly different (This is amazing, and I'm certainly not complaining 💚). I can relate to both and understand both.
However, no British person recognises me as British, at all, and no African person recognises the ''africanness'' in me either. I'd have to directly point out the fact.
As a result, I feel I don't belong. I don't belong. I'm simply hanging in the middle of both, ie nowhere.
This may sound so trivial or whatever, but honestly, I can't really explain how it feels not to be able to fully identify as a person, and feel accepted by your own people.

These are just a few of the struggles I've had, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Post on this thread what your experiences of being a mixed race person have been 💚

You said:"..... to be able to fully identify as a person," But you are a person! And you happen to be mixed race- with a probable low esteem obsession with what people think of you and your "fitting in". You are not in the middle of nowhere; you are from two cultures!
Why don't you just be yourself and embrace both cultures? Study and participate in both cultures! Let people say what they like! Also, if you are half African it will show in your skin tone, hair etc because the genes are strong! And often people will regard you as black! But no problem , embrace your cultures and languages. Go learn some of those amazing African dances that are posted on YouTube!
(edited 4 years ago)
I wouldn’t worry about all that bullish!t. Corbyn has gone and so has all the toxic identity politics.

Just live and let live.
Reply 4
Original post by ryandavis97
I wouldn’t worry about all that bullish!t. Corbyn has gone and so has all the toxic identity politics.

Just live and let live.

You said: "Corbyn has gone and so has all the toxic identity politics." What do you even mean?? What does " just live and let live" mean??. Ignore issues? Do you have an identity or are you just of no consequence? Your slogans are meaningless when you actually bother to analyse what you are saying. It is lazy communication!
As a mixed race person I can relate with everything you have said, so know that what you are feeling is 100% valid! I've spoken about this with my sister and other mixed race family members and it is definitely an issue that needs to be spoken about more. I am much lighter in skin tone as well, so most people assume I am not British but from another European country, taking away even more from my Caribbean heritage. I guess I just feel like I can't relate to either cultures very strongly.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
As a mixed race person I can relate with everything you have said, so know that what you are feeling is 100% valid! I've spoken about this with my sister and other mixed race family members and it is definitely an issue that needs to be spoken about more. I am much lighter in skin tone as well, so most people assume I am not British but from another European country, taking away even more from my Caribbean heritage. I guess I just feel like I can't relate to either cultures very strongly.

Yes you can! You just need to investigate different cultures. But first, you need to relate to yourself! That's the bit that you don't understand yet! If you were a darker skinned mixed race person like Bob Marley or Malcolm X , then believe me you would figure things out pretty quickly!
Original post by mgi
Yes you can! You just need to investigate different cultures. But first, you need to relate to yourself! That's the bit that you don't understand yet! If you were a darker skinned mixed race person like Bob Marley or Malcolm X , then believe me you would figure things out pretty quickly!

Thank you for your advice, it is definitely something I am working on :smile:
Most sane people don't obsess over other people's ethnic heritage or their own.
Personality, ambitions and lifestyle choices are the most important things that define a person's identity.
Life is too short to waste your time or energy craving acceptance from people that refuse to see beyond ancestral heritage and tribalist attitudes revolving around personal appearance.

My friend has a very diverse family tree with relatives in at least 30 different countries.
His ancestors were: American, English, Caribbean, Chinese, French, Irish, Indian, ‎Ivorian, Mauritian, New Zealanders, Portuguese and Scottish.
He's 100 British- by citizenship, nationality and personal choice.
With plenty of friends from a variety of backgrounds and all nationalities.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your advice, it is definitely something I am working on :smile:

Good! Have you been to the Caribbean? If not then plan to go to where your Caribbean roots are! And do the same for the white roots of your family. Embrace yourself and then your cultural heritage.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Vanessa Rose 01

Ikr, all these people saying "your struggle is pointless" don't know what it's like.

Quick Reply

Latest