lucy10042010
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started university in September 2019, am studying Criminology.

At the moment I hate university, I don’t enjoy my course and I haven’t found a good friendship group. I feel lonely and bored and my mental health has been ruined by university. I’m not even sure if I want to work in this sector anymore, that is how put off I am.

My mum has said university courses generally are boring and she doesn’t think a change of course is uni would help. There isn’t any other course I would change to anyway.

When I go back after Christmas I’m planning on getting counselling and joining a couple of sports clubs to try and make next year more bare-able, but I want to know if anybody else has been through this or is going through this.

What did you do in this situation, did you leave uni or did it get better?

Please help

From a very sad uni student
Missdimples
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucy10042010)
I started university in September 2019, am studying Criminology.

At the moment I hate university, I don’t enjoy my course and I haven’t found a good friendship group. I feel lonely and bored and my mental health has been ruined by university. I’m not even sure if I want to work in this sector anymore, that is how put off I am.

My mum has said university courses generally are boring and she doesn’t think a change of course is uni would help. There isn’t any other course I would change to anyway.

When I go back after Christmas I’m planning on getting counselling and joining a couple of sports clubs to try and make next year more bare-able, but I want to know if anybody else has been through this or is going through this.

What did you do in this situation, did you leave uni or did it get better?

Please help

From a very sad uni student
What university are you at if you don’t mind me asking?

Like you’ve said just get yourself out there, join societies that’s the best way to meet people, introduce yourself to people you sit next to in your lectures and seminars, linger around to speak even more. There are always people in the same boat as you.

Definitely prioritise your mental health- An absolute must especially if you’re living away from hone, it’s so easy to isolate yourself and become depressed, I know as I’ve gone through it myself.

If you want to talk to a fellow uni student I’m here, you’re not alone ☺️X
lucy10042010
Rep:
?
(Original post by Missdimples)
What university are you at if you don’t mind me asking?

Like you’ve said just get yourself out there, join societies that’s the best way to meet people, introduce yourself to people you sit next to in your lectures and seminars, linger around to speak even more. There are always people in the same boat as you.

Definitely prioritise your mental health- An absolute must especially if you’re living away from hone, it’s so easy to isolate yourself and become depressed, I know as I’ve gone through it myself.

If you want to talk to a fellow uni student I’m here, you’re not alone ☺️X
I’m at Plymouth University

It’s so hard when everybody already seems to have clicked into friendship groups and people then aren’t very welcoming so it makes it harder to make friends.

It doesn’t help that my boyfriend broke up with me last night because he couldn’t cope with the long distance and told me if I didn’t go to university we probably would have been fine, which breaks my heart as I feel University has taken everything from me. So that has probably fuelled these feelings.

I’m not back at uni until the end of January so I’m at home for 6 weeks now.

I have a tenancy agreement to sign for my accomodation in second year that I haven’t signed for yet because I don’t know if I’m going to make it into second year but they want me to sign it asap... so feeling the pressure a lot
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hello,
I also started my course at uni this sept, I dropped out last week. I hated the course, generally felt down and unfulfilled by the whole experience. I did have friends and my flatmates were lovely however uni just wasn't what I thought it was. I found myself often in my room bored out my mind, wishing I was back home. For the first time in my life my mental health went down hill. It turns out all these feelings are very similar for many freshers, its just not spoken about enough. For me, I didn't see the point in staying somewhere where I was so unhappy. I had a fair few reading weeks and weekends at home where I found myself so much happier, so that was the main decider. For me I have realised how I had initially rushed into the decision to go to university, because it felt like my only option after college. I feel relieved that now I can take time to really figure out what I want to do with my life. The uncertainty and sense of "failure" is definitely present and does get me down sometimes, but I know that once I have figured out my next step (job/ apprenticeship/ applying to my hometown uni next year) these feelings should subside.
The biggest thing to remember is that your mental health and happiness should come first. This is your life and nobody elses. Take some time to think over the Christmas break about your options. I definitely think going back and doing the things you've suggested are a brilliant idea. Try to relax, you are doing great x
Missdimples
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It’s so hard when everybody already seems to have clicked into friendship groups and people then aren’t very welcoming so it makes it harder to make friends.

It doesn’t help that my boyfriend broke up with me last night because he couldn’t cope with the long distance and told me if I didn’t go to university we probably would have been fine, which breaks my heart as I feel University has taken everything from me. So that has probably fuelled these feelings.

I have a tenancy agreement to sign for my accomodation in second year that I haven’t signed for yet because I don’t know if I’m going to make it into second year but they want me to sign it asap... so feeling the pressure a lot
I totally understand, but there are always some people who are welcoming. You’d just have to find them, these things take time.

I’m really sorry to hear about that girl, honestly I hate that excuse because I’ve been in long distance relationship for nearly 2years, (we’re closer now) there’d be some months we’d go by without seeing each other, it’s all comes down to communication. Each to their own though, but let this holiday allow you figure out what you want to do.

I haven’t even looked for my second year accommodation yet🙊😭!
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I don't really have much to say to help, but I'm in a very similar situation (even down to the fact my boyfriend broke up with me a few days ago for pretty much an identical reason, and the pressure to sign a tenancy agreement), and I'm hoping things get better for you soon.
lucy10042010
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,
I also started my course at uni this sept, I dropped out last week. I hated the course, generally felt down and unfulfilled by the whole experience. I did have friends and my flatmates were lovely however uni just wasn't what I thought it was. I found myself often in my room bored out my mind, wishing I was back home. For the first time in my life my mental health went down hill. It turns out all these feelings are very similar for many freshers, its just not spoken about enough. For me, I didn't see the point in staying somewhere where I was so unhappy. I had a fair few reading weeks and weekends at home where I found myself so much happier, so that was the main decider. For me I have realised how I had initially rushed into the decision to go to university, because it felt like my only option after college. I feel relieved that now I can take time to really figure out what I want to do with my life. The uncertainty and sense of "failure" is definitely present and does get me down sometimes, but I know that once I have figured out my next step (job/ apprenticeship/ applying to my hometown uni next year) these feelings should subside.
The biggest thing to remember is that your mental health and happiness should come first. This is your life and nobody elses. Take some time to think over the Christmas break about your options. I definitely think going back and doing the things you've suggested are a brilliant idea. Try to relax, you are doing great x
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to reply it's really useful to hear of what other people have gone through and how they felt. I hope you find something that you enjoy more, it's becoming very clear that uni just is not for everybody and I can see why! Good luck and thank you for being so kind and sharing your experience x
lucy10042010
Rep:
?
(Original post by Missdimples)
I totally understand, but there are always some people who are welcoming. You’d just have to find them, these things take time.

I’m really sorry to hear about that girl, honestly I hate that excuse because I’ve been in long distance relationship for nearly 2years, (we’re closer now) there’d be some months we’d go by without seeing each other, it’s all comes down to communication. Each to their own though, but let this holiday allow you figure out what you want to do.

I haven’t even looked for my second year accommodation yet🙊😭!
I think it may have been down to a lack of maturity on his behalf, we always knew this semester would be the hardest as I was spending 13 weeks at uni and I only had 1 full we home where as next semester I'm spending 11 weeks at uni and 7 weeks at home! We got the hardest part out of the way but some people just crumble at the first struggle.. but time to focus on me now anyway

I've been looking since November! Most of my friendship group booked a house without telling me, so it was a bit of a stress to find other housemates but its actually worked out for the best and I couldn't have better girls to be around! So that's something to look forward to I suppose...
lucy10042010
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
I don't really have much to say to help, but I'm in a very similar situation (even down to the fact my boyfriend broke up with me a few days ago for pretty much an identical reason, and the pressure to sign a tenancy agreement), and I'm hoping things get better for you soon.
Im sorry to hear that! Just goes to show so many of us are actually in the same boat and we have no idea about it. I hope things get better for you too <3
Missdimples
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it may have been down to a lack of maturity on his behalf, we always knew this semester would be the hardest as I was spending 13 weeks at uni and I only had 1 full we home where as next semester I'm spending 11 weeks at uni and 7 weeks at home! We got the hardest part out of the way but some people just crumble at the first struggle.. but time to focus on me now anyway

I've been looking since November! Most of my friendship group booked a house without telling me, so it was a bit of a stress to find other housemates but its actually worked out for the best and I couldn't have better girls to be around! So that's something to look forward to I suppose...
I agree, good on you girl!

I’ve been looking, but I’ve been lazy lol🙊. Oh no that is so frustrating, that’s why I’m just looking for a place on my own, I currently live with 5 other females and 3 of them are messy asf so never again😅 you’ll be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (0)
0%
They've been reasonable (4)
36.36%
Not feeling great... (6)
54.55%
They are TERRIBLE! (1)