Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is it true that some universities who are interested in you will do research on you over the net? If this is true, it could mean that some, like me, would want to delete things like bebo accounts due to comments and pictures etc. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Is it true that some universities who are interested in you will do research on you over the net? If this is true, it could mean that some, like me, would want to delete things like bebo accounts due to comments and pictures etc. :confused:
    you're worrying me now too...

ReputationRep:
    they are monitoring you right now, watch out

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, but at least one of my lecturers is on Facebook so we know to watch what we say about him!

ReputationRep:
    A few employers (and maybe unis, I don't know) have admitted to facebook stalking candidates as a sort of pre-interview vetting technique. Just knock your privacy up so any tom **** or harry can't access your profile. Tbh you don't want your privacy that low anyways...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a few Universities have admitted to checking prospective candidates Facebooks online every so often. We were warned on this this year at school.
    I'm pretty sure some of the admissions tutors from one of my prospective Uni's use Facebook as after adding their address on my hotmail account I was alerted by my Facebook account that one of my friends from my email addresses had just got a profile. Now who would open a Facebook account in a university admissions tutor email address unless it was being used for admissions reasons.

Just be warned! As long as you are prepared and set your profiles to private and don't accept friends requests from anyone you don't know you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just make all your profiles private and dont accept friend requests from anyone your not sure about/looks dodgy.
    I keep getting friend requests from friend manchester met uni as i go there but because i have no idea who is behind the profile i just press ignore. If you make your profile inaccessible to access they wont be able to see your photos/comments etc.

ReputationRep:
    To stay on the safe side, hide behind 7 proxys.

ReputationRep:
    ha... i didn't even think they would do this, i thought they had better things to do with their time!

ReputationRep:
    Probably, my teachers all browse bebo and students have got into trouble in the past for their bebo antics i.e. one guy had pictures of him in his school uniform, which isn't bad, but he had swearing plastered all over his page so the teachers made him delete his bebo as it 'made our school students look bad'. Others include people having pictures of teachers etc!

So I guess beware..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt see the point of it, all theyre going to see is loads of drunk pictures of everyone, what do they expect, anyway, ive got my profile set to private, wouldnt have minded my teachers at secondry school/college, as they had a good sense of humour, and you got know them, but at uni its totally different

ReputationRep:
    Its common knowledge people get drunk and make fools of themselves at the age of uni application and above. If they ruled out all people with dodgy photos and comments on their pages they'd not have any successful applicants. If you're worried set your profile to private, as others have said.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.