My sister failed Maths again. How can I help her?

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My sister, in Year 8, just got her report card and she told me that she failed in Maths YET AGAIN. Since Year 7, when she just got into secondary school, she is already getting in trouble in Maths, and even with a tutor and constant help from me (who got 9 in IGCSE Maths and 8 in Further Maths) and my parents, the situation isn't bettered yet.
Honestly, we all don't know how to help her to improve her Maths, despite we all know she needs to do so as it is necessary.
So what should we all do to help her?
pazzarazza
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wtf she’s 12 of course she’s failing she’s not even doing her gcse course yet
hunchoM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Report card? What’s that? Are you American?
GreenCub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hunchoM)
Report card? What’s that? Are you American?
Nah, Americans would call it "math" and "7th grade"...

For the OP: would you mind explaining what "failing" maths involves? I'm not familiar with any exams that are taken in year 8...
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenCub)
Nah, Americans would call it "math" and "7th grade"...

For the OP: would you mind explaining what "failing" maths involves? I'm not familiar with any exams that are taken in year 8...
She is getting in trouble in some topics. My school takes in a lot of marks from daily assessment compared to most others. There are 2 uniform tests after approximately 10 full school weeks to review the material covered in the past 10 weeks, and a year-end exam which covers all the stuff learnt in the year. She got a bad result in some quizzes, despite telling us that she felt confident for them, and barely passed the uniform test. Last year, she could only receive around 50-60% overall in Maths, failing some of the topic quizzes. (the pass mark is 50%)
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe maths is just not her thing? Or maybe she needs a proper tutor.
Rep:
?
My sister got another report card last month and she got 57% in Maths. She told me that she wanted to get to 65%.
Quite relieved as she finally passed!
Rep:
?
Now I am going to help my sister in Physics. My school has a block system which in each trimester, only one of physics, biology and chemistry is taught in junior secondary. She is learning Physics this trimester and after knowing that I have recently completed an undergraduate level physics class, and got a 9 in IGCSE Physics last year, so she always asked me to help.
Rep:
?
Please pray for my sister, who is going to take her Maths exam next Tuesday. I don't want this to happen again!
Update: She is struggling on Trigonometry and Deductive Geometry.
Last edited by 8013; 1 year ago
Rep:
?
My sister finished her Maths exam today, with two papers back to back for 2 hours. She found the first paper (Structured Questions) quite difficult but the second paper (multiple choice) acceptable. One of her questions was insane, and I didn't learn that in Y8. Have a look at a similar question, and do you think it suits a Y8 student?
Name:  15935027855238385769142417033178.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  107.4 KB
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8013)
My sister finished her Maths exam today, with two papers back to back for 2 hours. She found the first paper (Structured Questions) quite difficult but the second paper (multiple choice) acceptable. One of her questions was insane, and I didn't learn that in Y8. Have a look at a similar question, and do you think it suits a Y8 student?
are we assuming ABCD is a square?
username1898313
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8013)
My sister, in Year 8, just got her report card and she told me that she failed in Maths YET AGAIN. Since Year 7, when she just got into secondary school, she is already getting in trouble in Maths, and even with a tutor and constant help from me (who got 9 in IGCSE Maths and 8 in Further Maths) and my parents, the situation isn't bettered yet.
Honestly, we all don't know how to help her to improve her Maths, despite we all know she needs to do so as it is necessary.
So what should we all do to help her?
I think I'm late to this thread but I don't know if this helps...
Is she good with the basics!?
I have some resources that might prove helpful for her as I never got proper teachers at school for Math and it affected me until I found these resources and followed them and I scored A* in my GCSEs when nobody expected me to pass... I'm now loving the subject!
Last edited by username1898313; 1 year ago
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8013)
There are no lengths given.
Bl and Wh Army L
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i need help on this and (2) is squared 2x2 - 5x - 12 / 2x2 - 11x + 12
Bl and Wh Army L
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And try AB x AD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
are we assuming ABCD is a square?
It is
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kk1999)
I think I'm late to this thread but I don't know if this helps...
Is she good with the basics!?
I have some resources that might prove helpful for her as I never got proper teachers at school for Math and it affected me until I found these resources and followed them and I scored A* in my GCSEs when nobody expected me to pass... I'm now loving the subject!
She cannot understand the maths lessons at school. She can get basic questions correctly, but gets quite a lot of hard questions wrong.
Rep:
?
My sister's Maths overall mark is:
Spoiler:
Show
51.4%

Quite relieved! She passed!
Half of her class failed, so she is quite delighted to pass by the skin of her teeth!
Last edited by 8013; 1 year ago
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh I feel it would be beneficial to understand WHY she's failing.

- Crap teacher?

- Doesn't enjoy it?

- Dyscalculia (or however it is spelt)?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FRS500)
Tbh I feel it would be beneficial to understand WHY she's failing.

- Crap teacher?

- Doesn't enjoy it?

- Dyscalculia (or however it is spelt)?
It's correct, I think!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed